Thread: Lost 1 & 2 in a A-568

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Lost 1 & 2 in a A-568

Hello, I just purchased a 1992 IROC R/T with a short throw shifter on Sunday, five days ago. Well after the fourth day (yesterday) I was not able to get it into 1st or second. I am thinking it's the selector cable, as there was no grinding at all. My questions are as follows:

1. Any input what could be potential causes
    2. What type of fluid does the 568 use, gear oil or 5w-30?
    3. How extensive is it, to put it back to original shifting specs? If anyone has the hardware around the Lebanon, PA (17042) area hit me up if you want to sell at a fair price. I am not digging this short throw shifter at all! I want to get this issue fixed right away. Thank you in advance.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Lost 1 & 2 in a A-568

Quote Originally Posted by kvnndvn View Post
    Hello, I just purchased a 1992 IROC R/T with a short throw shifter on Sunday, five days ago. Well after the fourth day (yesterday) I was not able to get it into 1st or second. I am thinking it's the selector cable, as there was no grinding at all. My questions are as follows:

1. Any input what could be potential causes
    2. What type of fluid does the 568 use, gear oil or 5w-30?
    3. How extensive is it, to put it back to original shifting specs? If anyone has the hardware around the Lebanon, PA (17042) area hit me up if you want to sell at a fair price. I am not digging this short throw shifter at all! I want to get this issue fixed right away. Thank you in advance.
    1. it could just be out of adjustment. Not having 1-2 leads me to believe something is out of whack. Find a FSM and adjust everything to spec.
    2. 5W-30 motor oil
    3. Hopefully somebody else can chime in on this. I'm certainly not the G-body guy...

83scamp, hey thanks, and I will start with this!. Should I use full synthetic 5w-30 or just conventional oil?

boostaholic

Grab a service manual, There is a screw on the side of the shifter that is probably out of adjustment, I was stuck in 3-4 once, but it's an easy fix. There is a bolt on the top of the transmission that you thread out and flip over, this hold the shifter in the ideal center. Then you take the small 10mm bolt seen in the pic and loosen it. Then manually move you shifter so it's in the center. Tighten back down the small bolt, go back under the hood and flip the bolt, and then check for all gears.

Note: View from driver's footwell looking at the side of the shifter, with the center console carpet removed on side.

Also note the upgraded "booger bushings" for the shifter, I would highly suggest replacing all 4 shifter bushings. I had one on the tranny side wore out to the point it fell out. Really firmed up my shifts!

I've been told to use a high quality dino oil in the transmission. I run Valvoline 5w-30 in there.

I also have a '92 IROC R/T

Double D, you Sir are a true Humanitarian! I would love to buy you some beers and hear about your trials and tribulations with your 92' so I could have that as a head up on repairs.

boostaholic

Ha, mines been a fun trip to say the least. I have broken so many weird things over the last few years, but from where I bought my car at to where it sits today, Ive made a ton of changes and the car really preforms decent now. It was a project and it will continue to be a project. Just PM me and I can try and help you through, there are a few of us who have the TIII's and love them.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

In my experience, when you suddenly lose a couple gears like that, either the bushings fell out or one of the mounting clips for the cables popped off the bracket on the transmission. Usually the latter in my case; I have to have those suckers zip tied on.

Supercrackerbox, you were right, it was the clip! It was a two minute fix and I followed your methods and zip tied it as well. Thank you for everyone, and thank God for easy fixes!

Booger bushings on the shifter cables both ends are a must. Old ones pop off or disentegrate

turbo addict

what short throw do you have and why are you not digging it?