Thread: A/C: piece together factory system or go aftermarket

Garrett booster

A/C: piece together factory system or go aftermarket

Hi guys!

I wasn't sure where to put this, so if its in the wrong section, just let me know!

Ive been kicking around putting the air conditioning back into my horizon and if that goes well maybe doing the Shelby Charger as well. The problem is, everything is gone! well, everything past the firewall in the engine bay is gone anyways. So, what I was wondering is would it be easier to try to piece together and replace the factory system with parts from rock auto and the salvage yard or just try to adapt at hot rod style aftermarket a/c system? Has anyone ever done this to an L body before? Is it even worth all the hassle? Should I just forget the whole thing, sell both cars and buy a Neon that has A/C??

The Horizon is an 86 and is currently NA and automatic. I am slowly acquiring parts for a turbo swap though. This is my sometimes daily when my Jeep is being cranky. The SC is an 86 also and is still in the midst of what seems to be a never ending TII swap/upgrade.

Sorry about all the questions! I just have a little money coming in at the first of the year and thought if I could get the A/C going in at least one car that it would be pretty cool!

What do ya all think?

Thanks!

Tifany

turbo addict

Re: A/C: piece together factory system or go aftermarket

Garrett booster

Thanks! That gives me a starting point and some ideas :-)

Garrett booster

You can semi easily get NOS parts that work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370637344531

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151329805926

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110995071234

As far as the condenser, rock auto is listing a private label Vista-Pro one that might work, it actually lists the 3849594 OE part number.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

If you want your AC to blow as cold as possible, stay away from tube and fin condensers and go with a parallel flow condenser. The reason tube and fin condensers aren't that efficient is you have a wide tube that the refrigerant flows through and the refrigerant in the center of the tube isn't exposed to the metal tube and can't reject it's heat. A parellel flow condenser has flat multi-path tubes that are smaller so the refrigerant is exposed to more metal and can reject more of it's heat. Unfortunately, tube and fin is usually all that available for factory replacement unless you go aftermarket universal. If you go aftermarket universal you're going to have to have lines made.

I took pictures of my last L-body conversion to an aftermarket parallel flow universal condenser. I need to get those loaded up with a write-up.