Thread: Complete 2.5 engine, 2.2 bottom end, and 523 trans

Garrett booster

Complete 2.5 engine, 2.2 bottom end, and 523 trans

Hey guys have a couple engines and a transmission I'd like to part ways with.

First is a complete common block 2.5 turbo engine I had in my Shadow for a few years. I bought the bottom end off of George. He removed the balance shafts and threw new bearings and rings in it. Just a stock refresh as far as I recall.The head was checked and cleaned when I put it together.

I pulled it cause I found major hidden rust on my car and I planned on putting it in another shell but I never have. It ran good but had some oil leaks when I pulled it. Probably has about 3000 to 4000 miles since it was refreshed. Its been sitting for about a year and a half. Comes with everything pictured below mines the trans, clutch, and flywheel.

SOLD!

Next is a non-common block 2.2 turbo bottom end out of a 89 TC. This engine blew a head gasket and was replaced with a 2.5. I would suggest going over it but could potential be run as is. The cylinder walls look ok minus the surface rust on number one. Comes as pictured below.

$150 picked up

Last is a 523 trans out of my 90 2.5 turbo Shadow. It is a 3.50 fd and shifted well. Pulled at the same time as the engine above.

SOLD!

Everything is sold as is. Pick up is highly preferred but I could deliver for gas and food money if your semi local. Parts are located in southern Indiana.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!
    Last edited by garaithon; 10-08-2014 at 06:45 AM.

Mitsu booster

Re: Complete 2.5 engine, 2.2 bottom end, and 523 trans

Excuse my ignorance, but my 85 omni glh-t has the 525 correct? I heard they were quite weak when beat on and I'm pretty sure the 523 is a lot stronger isn't it? I should be at about 250WHP I think and I need to have a replacement when this one goes boom!!! And what all would I need for the conversion?
    1. Flywheel- I have 2.5 CB in mine so flywheel should work. (8 bolt)
    2. Clutch- to match splines on trans.
    3.clutch cable- correct length for this trans, or will the stock one work shimmed, or modified?
    4. Shifter assembly- correct for trans, out of a sundance, Daytona?
    5. Axles- any stronger ones available?
    I'm an Indiana guy too, so 5 his would work out well! Even if it's not soon!
    Kaleb

Garrett booster

I think you need axles out of a 90 omni automatic or something along those lines. I think the shift cables are different as well but i think the ones out of my 90 Shadow would work. I also have the shifter out of it as well. I can trow those in for a little more. I have the clutch cable as well.

I was going to include the clutch and pressure plate with the trans so u should be good there. Its just a t2/t3 setup.

Someone will chime in and know what you need for sure.

Thanks,
    Gary

turbo addict

^gold85

1 your flywheel is fine
    2 the 90 523 is still small spline like the 525/555 so your current clutch should work
    3 i had no problems using my stock clutch cable (i think there is 2 holes in the trans to locate the cable, pick the one that works)
    4 i ran shadow cables and shifter, good legnth
    5 1990 auto axles are what you want

now the only con, ive had issues with the 1990 523 over 300 ft of torque, dont know why, destroyed the teeth on 3rd gear twice, already in gear once boost hit. i may be unlucky but? im also not so sure how far over 300 i was, but not that much.

this trans is also good to use for the 523/568 hybrid if they are the same year, use ring and pinion out of 523 for the 350 final, but the stronger cut gears of the 568.

i really liked this trans in my car until the problem though, it lasted 6 months at 18 psi, but not after 20 psi

glws garaithon, good prices...

Mitsu booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Pm sent

Garrett booster

Trans is sold! Thanks!