Thread: stuck in reverse

Garrett booster

stuck in reverse

Just curious if anyone can tell me what to expect when I pull this plate off the top of my A568 transmission today.in hopes of getting my 92 iroc rt to come out of gear(stuck in reverse. Both cables are fine ) I hope to hear back soon as im currently gathering tools.
    Any info or tips would be so greatly appreciated as ive never looked inside one before

turbo addict

Re: stuck in reverse

well your gonna see a lot of stuff when you remove the gear selector box from the top of the transmission

but what your looking for is simple - there are "tabs" with slots in them - they need to be lined up in a nice neat row straight down the center

on the underside of the gear selector box you'll see a "bar" that fits in these notches

the trick is to get the selector box back on the trans without knocking any of the tabs over so that the bar fits into each tab

reverse should be the simple(cheep) looking tab at the front of the opening - just inside the front of the trans case when viewed through the selector box opening

it's probably best to do this in a nice quiot shop or work place so that as you lower the selector box back into position you can hear if any of the tabs fall over and out of place

I haven't been inside a 523 or 568 yet but it still should have a lock pin to keep the selector box frozen in place- you'll probably have to jiggle the linkage to get the pin in
    on older trans you need to push the shaft fwd slightly before the pin will drop into the hole in the shaft
    flip over and install the lock pin to lock up the selector box
    remove cables
    unbolt selector box and lift straight up (sortta)

clean off the old silicone
    line up the tabs so the bar on the underside of the selector box will line up with them

try test installing the selector box a couple of times
    when you have the hang of it silicone the bottom edge of the selector box and reinstall for keeps

now , I've also had the bottom end of the reverse fork pop outta place but at the bottom where it fits into a notch in the side of reverse gear - that's a special hell to fix - hopefully you won't have an issue with that

the tab at the front of the opening , closest to the rad should be reverse
    you'll soon see it's a pretty simple arrangement and suddenly you'll understand the plunk you hear when putting the car in reverse as the design is very basic

wiggle that front tab side to side and it should sound like reverse gear
    if that tab is compleately loose and makes no reverse sound it's likely the bottom poped out

don't forget to take the lock pin back out when your done

turbo addict

Last time a A555 I had stuck 1 gear.

Garrett booster

Well I just took the top piece off made sure things were lined up and reinstalled and it seems to be fine now. Lol
    need a new battery so I can test drive it but its shifting in all gears now and im able to roll it out of the way.
    Thx for the help
    Chris

turbo addict

so I'm a little late finding this I guess

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...-568-Trans-top