Thread: What tool is needed to install crankshaft and intermediate shaft sprockets

Hybrid booster

What tool is needed to install crankshaft and intermediate shaft sprockets

I am at that point where the crankshaft and intermediate shaft sprockets need to be installed, and I don't seem to have a tool to get them on. How is everyone else getting them on. Where would you get the appropriate tool or whatever tool(s) that will work.

turbo addict

Re: What tool is needed to install crankshaft and intermediate shaft sprockets

I no longer use a bolt for my crankshaft, I use a stud and nut. I turn the nut to install the crank pulley. For the intermediate shaft sprocket and cam sprocket, I just tighten the bolt. Be aware of the key and the key way.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Well, this may seem a little bit hillbilly, and it's been a long time since I assembled my engine, but if I remember correctly, mine went on pretty easy with a dead blow hammer and a 2X4...

Obviously not the "official" Chrysler tool, but it works... I've put darn near 100K on the engine since then, so I must have done something right...

turbo addict

They say doing that can possibly damage the thrust bearings. I've done it a few times and haven't seen any issues because of it. I usually use a longer bolt with a couple of greased up washers to act as bearings and an impact.

Hybrid booster

Yes, hammering on the crank can damage the thrust bearings. I would try to avoid that, although I have also done it in the past with no noticeable effects. I used to work with somebody that damaged a thrust bearing once by hammering on a crank pulley... He always used the proper install tool after that.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

You guys are both correct. I didn't say it was the right way to do it, but it worked for me.

A long bolt and greased washers is a much better way to go...

Hybrid booster

Thanks guys, will get a longer bolt and washers.

Hybrid booster

That worked!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I use the OTC tool meant for the job that I bought from Relentless Racing long ago. It makes removing and installing the pulley a breeze no matter what year of 2.2/2.5 engine you are working on. Installing the pulley is easier, and I imagine a long 10mm x 1.25 bolt with washers and some grease would work well. I also use a small spanner wrench engaged on the teeth of the sprocket to keep the crankshaft from turning while installing the sprocket.