Thread: 17x7.5 wheel fitment issue

Mitsu booster

17x7.5 wheel fitment issue

I knew my alignment and camber was off but I decided to wait until I installed new struts and shocks before I had it done. after the strut installation I realize that the reason for such a positive camber angle was because the tires hit the strut. I have 17x7.5 wheels with 45mm offset and 215/45/17 tires. im guessing the problem is the 45mm offset that the wheels have. what is the closest the tire can run from the strut that I could get away with? Does anyone know where I can get wheel spacers and longer studs that will fit? Or any other adjustments that will help out?

car is a 91 spirit rt stock height gr2 struts

Mitsu booster

Re: 17x7.5 wheel fitment issue

Ebay Bro.5x100 wheel spacers 4 of them should be around $100.00 bucks. good luck.

turbo addict

yep your offset when the wrong way. People running that wide of a wheel have at least a 35mm offset, stock is 40. So you brought the wheel closer to your strut. You'd get better handling going back to a stock size wheel and tire and being able to run more camber than you will with a larger tire/wheel combo.

Read this:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/kn...Specifications

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Not sure what happened to my reply unless you have this thread on TD also and i replied there? 5mm spacers should fix your problem. ~$20/pair on ebay.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Mitsu booster

the wheels and tires came on the car when I bought it and they are pretty much brand new. Im not looking to get the best handling performance I just want it to drive nice and not destroy my tires. How close to the strut can the tire safely run?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

I'd want 3/8" or so, closer might be ok, if there isn't much deflection, when in doubt, a bit more would be better than a bit less.

In theory, the wheel/tire shouldn't get closer then they are when installed, and if they have clearance, then it's all good, BUT, things aren't perfectly rigid and so will move in and out a bit.

The factory will usually provide a bit more so that if you "pick up" some debris, it can't lock the wheel/damage that corner of the suspension.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Mitsu booster

I agree with more is better, and that it "shouldnt move" but i know there is always some movement. im looking into getting a 10mm spacer. theory is that i can run a 5mm spacer without longer studs so a 10mm smacer will require them. using a wheel stud from a 2001 plymouth grand voyager or anything similar around those years will get me to 46mm, stock I believe is 41mm stud so i would gain 5mm back. the 46 mm stud is slightly bigger diameter knurl at .590 in as opposed to stock .588. I think i would be able to get those to fit, but would they be worth installing? anybody have any other suggestions to wheel studs/length?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I have 17x8 +35s that fit with SOME negative camber (could run more if they didnt have 245s on them). If you do the math (there are online calculators), a 5mm spacer will get you what you need. These cars dont all have the same tire clearance to the body but they do all have the same relationship between the hub flange and the strut (excepting for the camber adjustment) so anything that works for me should work for you or vice versa.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?