Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 555/520 hybrid intermediate shaft bearing

Hybrid booster

555/520 hybrid intermediate shaft bearing

I need to rebuild my trans as the intermediate shaft bearing kicked the bucket. The good Koyo bearing is NLA as we all know.
    I want to modify my case and cut my shaft to accept a bearing with an inner race.
    Has anyone done this? What bearing did you use.

I've done a bearing search and found some that might work but need some input.

Let me know what you've done.

Thanks

Joey
    Last edited by Gaboon; 08-26-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: 555/520 hybrid intermediate shaft bearing

The Koyo bearing for the 555 is no longer available, but the 520 bearing is a readily available bearing also used in many Ford rear axle applications, if my memory serves me correctly. However, you have to have a good intermediate shaft for it to work. It's kind of a long read, but many options are discussed at length in this thread: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ission+bearing

Also, you can contact Turbovanman, as he has had them repaired with a race installed on the shaft, but I don't know what the numbers are.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Both the 520 and 555 used the wider/HD koyo bearing. The narrower bearing that we have to use is from the 525.

Ah, gotcha.

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the replies, I know that the lesser 5707 bearing is readily available but only lasted 400 km in my car before it pooped the bed.
    I cut down my shaft and installed a sleave which also got messed up.
    I will not do that kind of mod again, it's a band aid on high hp cars that does not last. This is not the first time i've experienced this type of failure, I want to find a better way and build the trans as tough as possible.
    I've found some bearings that might do the job, these are Koyo bearings with an inner race. I don't want my shaft running on rollers anymore
    One bearing I found is Koyo NU2206. which is the same width as the OEM @ 20mm the OD is 62mm where the OEM is 57.15 which means I will need to bore the case 5mm (I believe there is enough materiel)
    The ID is 30mm which means I will need to turn down the shaft more than it aleady is. At this time my shaft is turned down to 31mm

I think the bearing listed above does have an inner race but if not, I'll find the equivalent with a race.

For instance, early 5 spead Honda transmissions used a roller bearing without an inner race but went to a similar bearing with an inner race in early 2000.
    I don't hear of many Honda tansmission faiures, even after many miles. Our trans seam to kick the bucket even in cars in stock configuration.
    Last edited by Gaboon; 08-26-2013 at 02:44 PM.

^^Honda, 300 hp and 100ftlbs of torque.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by trannybuster View Post
    ^^Honda, 300 hp and 100ftlbs of torque.
    True for the most part but my buddy has been running mid to low nines in his civic coupe all summer and hasn't opened his tranny yet.

I've driven my car 400 km on the street and rarely pushed it...Mines in pieces...

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I don't have any leads here, but I'm in for wherever this thread takes me.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    That's pretty much what I'm looking at and should do the job.
    Like I said earlier, I'm not going to run my shaft directly on bearings anymore.

I would like to find a similar bearing with a slightly smaller (or closer to OEM) OD to reduce the amount of materiel required to bore the case to accept the new bearing.
    I'm going to take a trip to a local bearing distributor to see what they can come up with but if anyone would like to do some research, feel free to post it here and let us all know what you find.

A good alternative will only benefit us all and I'll be the guinee pig to try it first.

Thanks all!!!

If you were to go with a 568 you would have to cut a lot less out of the case. Of course you would need a lot of new trans parts to make that work...

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    If you were to go with a 568 you would have to cut a lot less out of the case. Of course you would need a lot of new trans parts to make that work...
    That's true as well and would like to go with a 568 as it shifts very well and it's tough but I don't have one available at this time.
    I do have the good stuff for my hybrid including cromoly end plate and OBX diff. I also have a few spare cases and gear sets so for now, I'll be sticking with what I have and try and resolve this bearing issue once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I don't have any leads here, but I'm in for wherever this thread takes me.
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaboon View Post
    That's true as well and would like to go with a 568 as it shifts very well and it's tough but I don't have one available at this time.
    I do have the good stuff for my hybrid including cromoly end plate and OBX diff. I also have a few spare cases and gear sets so for now, I'll be sticking with what I have and try and resolve this bearing issue once and for all.
    Don't forget that it's really ony 1-2 that's different between them. Heck, the 89 555s use the same 1-2 setup as the later stuff.

turbo addict

Just wanting to see if this goes anywhere. I was thinking of trying to use the bearing for a Ford 9", but the OD is WAY too much.

Hybrid booster

It will definitely go somewhere. I won't build another trans with rollers and we can't get a good one anyway.
    I know which bearing to order. I may add some weld to the bell housing side of the case, (outside of the bearing cup) just to ensure I have adiquate materiel in that area after it's machined to accept the OD of the new bearing.

turbo addict

I was thinking about either welding on the case like you said, or having an adapter build that would require that area be cut out and the adapter to be either bolted or welded in. The adapter would accept a larger bearing.

Also, I don't mind going up in diameter of the bearing surface of the shaft. Yes, it increases the surface speed, but if a sleave is pressed on then welded to the pinion gear it could add a little more resistance to bending. Not that it's an issue now, but it would,kt hurt.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I was thinking about either welding on the case like you said, or having an adapter build that would require that area be cut out and the adapter to be either bolted or welded in. The adapter would accept a larger bearing.

Also, I don't mind going up in diameter of the bearing surface of the shaft. Yes, it increases the surface speed, but if a sleave is pressed on then welded to the pinion gear it could add a little more resistance to bending. Not that it's an issue now, but it would,kt hurt.
    The only thing I would be concerned about would be seepage of the trans fluid or sealing the sleeve which is why I simply want to add some materiel in the area prior to machining. I don't believe I will get into the additional weld added but it is some insurance in case and as mentioned will add some strength.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Welding the cast aluminum case would probably weaken it more than it would add strength.
    Adding mass amounts of heat while adding material while welding will also change the hardness of the casting and may cause it to become more brittle.

We need a billet case...

Hybrid booster

We need a billet case...
    HUmmm...

A casting would be more realistic with a provision for the planned bearing to be use.

If someone is equipped, it wouldn`t hurt too much to give it a shot, meaning trying to weld another piece or add material.
    You would have to pre-heat the casing first.
    I would try on a broken case and go front there.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast