Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 1990 Dodge Shadow ES 2.5 Turbo Heavily Modified

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: 1990 Dodge Shadow ES 2.5 Turbo Heavily Modified

Quote Originally Posted by SactoShadow View Post
    ITurbo, its currently not running, electrical issues. However the rest of it is in amazing condition.
    How serious are the electrical issues? Like just blown fuse links, aftermarket parts not sorted, or a botched harness transplant at some point?

Just simple old wiring. It has run, for a long time, but now it wont start relays clicking tach bouncing. I havent really looked into it. I have found wires rotting and exposed and repaired them, but I have a feeling the best option would be to pull the harness, clean it up, repair any damage, clean grounds, clean connections, replace relays and put it back together. Would be a big time investment but probably easier than playing electrical whackamole

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

This car has tons of potential and lots of the right parts to make it a fun DD! The reason it hasn't sold is of coarse the electrical problems. Electrical issues are the worst and most time($$$$)consuming problems to have. SactoShadow, I would think that it would be less time consuming and more profitable for you if you got a new harness from someone and put it in. It would take way more time and energy to part this thing out and ship things across the US than to fix it and sell the car as a running DD. If you weren't so far away, I would have made an offer already. Fix the Electric Issues and it WILL SELL. GLWS

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    This car has tons of potential and lots of the right parts to make it a fun DD! The reason it hasn't sold is of coarse the electrical problems. Electrical issues are the worst and most time($$$$)consuming problems to have. SactoShadow, I would think that it would be less time consuming and more profitable for you if you got a new harness from someone and put it in. It would take way more time and energy to part this thing out and ship things across the US than to fix it and sell the car as a running DD. If you weren't so far away, I would have made an offer already. Fix the Electric Issues and it WILL SELL. GLWS

I disagree. Nobody wanted to buy when it ran 16 months ago. Don't make any more effort of making it run. To OP, I would suggest to make a list of all the parts you think they can sell and post it on for sale then see what happens then decide what you want to do.

To anyone that says, "Don't part it... bleh, bleh, bleh", show up at the OP's door with cash.

My prefer method of selling a car is still selling it in pieces. In the last 2 years, I made profit of selling and crushing

90 740
    89 CSX
    89 TC
    97 850 R
    97 850 Turbo

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Anyone serious into these cars would not be deterred by a mere electrical problem.

Well it never slowed me down. much.

I would expect it to make the price negotiable, the seller does state "or best offer"

Gary
    Last edited by mopar-tech; 01-24-2016 at 11:08 AM.

Working on clearing the decks.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    I disagree. Nobody wanted to buy when it ran 16 months ago. Don't make any more effort of making it run. To OP, I would suggest to make a list of all the parts you think they can sell and post it on for sale then see what happens then decide what you want to do.

To anyone that says, "Don't part it... bleh, bleh, bleh", show up at the OP's door with cash.

My prefer method of selling a car is still selling it in pieces. In the last 2 years, I made profit of selling and crushing

90 740
    89 CSX
    89 TC
    97 850 R
    97 850 Turbo

This logic reminds me of the calculated profit on Wheeler Dealers. They take purchase price of the car, add the cost of the parts, then subtract that number from the sales price to determine the "Profit" The value they assess to Ed's labor time? Absolute zero! Not to mention the rent at the shop, the electricity, cost of tools, solvents, RTV etc. They never add those in... Harry, are you saying your labor hours are worth zero in your profitability scenario?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    The value they assess to Ed's labor time? Absolute zero!
    Never understood this train of thought, less so as I have gotten older and my time has gotten increasingly more valuable.

Every project I pick up and look at gets viewed through the prism of time first. I almost had an aneurysm when the wife asked to keep the Rampage as I knew it was going to be a big time suck. My Dart should have been started by now (its been sitting since 2012) but has been delayed along with the Reliant due to the Rampage. Having to part out the GLHS due to VIN fraud also set me back several weeks when I was hoping to flip it out for quick and cheap.

turbo addict

Labor time on a car? Unless you're mechanic and charge up front before customer pickup, consider all labor time a lost cause.

Labor time on a car? Unless you're mechanic and charge up front before customer pickup, consider all labor time a lost cause.
    I'm talking about pulling apart a vehicle and selling the parts while declaring a profit.

Its not profitable for me to do so since my time is so valuable, I literately have better things to do with my time.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

Yea, I agree Gary, I could've parted out my spirit R/T and make a killing but instead i sold it complete. Too many things to do that are worth my time.
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Garrett booster

PM'd you. Thanks.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

90 740
    89 CSX
    89 TC
    97 850 R
    97 850 Turbo
    It had electrical problems then too, it was just running. I'm not one of those anti-part-it-out guys, the Seller can do whatever he wants with his car. Parting a car out and shipping the parts is a PITA for most people. You lose money through paypal, time spent pulling parts, etc, etc. There can be a big difference between "making a profit" and it being profitable/worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post

Anyone serious into these cars would not be deterred by a mere electrical problem.

Well it never slowed me down. much.

I would expect it to make the price negotiable, the seller does state "or best offer"

Gary
    Well, you're not just anybody lol. If it was on the east coast I would probable make an offer.

Anyhow, I hope this car sells soon! GLWS

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    Parting a car out and shipping the parts is a PITA for most people. You lose money through paypal, time spent pulling parts, etc, etc. There can be a big difference between "making a profit" and it being profitable/worth it.
    Considering the alternative is having a non-running car that you don't want, nor anyone else with cash and will for the last 16 months taking up space. Well, you know my answer.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I have hoardes of cool/rare parts that I *should* sell, but I don't because packing up parts and dealing with paypal is a PITA. Plus I would probably not ever recoup just the money spent buying them in the first place. I've even thought of borrowing/renting/buying a truck or van to offload stuff to people that would actually use these parts at the next SDAC meet. But I'm in Wyoming which makes it difficult. It's kinda sad two ways: one in that my stockpile just sits, and two, others are not able to see them, so the parts just sit. Having parts sit also sucks because it means moving on is very difficult.

It's sad to say, but I would have sold a Shelby CSX for bottom dollar before parting it out. I'm not sure you could really say it was worth it in all the time and expense spent stripping/packaging/shipping everything. Finding the "right" buyer for a certain car is always difficult. But new enthusiasts (young guys usually) are always being minted.

I did manage to sell my old '87 Shelby CSX to a local long-time Shelby Dodge guy for $1500. It was a nice car and all the maintenance was taken care of. We talked a couple weeks ago and now he wants me to build a turnkey TIII/A568 setup for it. So that is next.

Well.
    Something that happened the other day that has caused a shift in my perspective. But to give a little back ground... I am not a huge turbo mopar fan, but have always thought the cars were really neat. More than anything I see this community as the last true hot rodders, making power with little to no aftermarket support. As such the opportunity to pick up this car and get my hand dirty with them seemed like a great opportunity to learn more about cars (I am self taught, my dad is the least handy person I have ever met). Then the baby came. I knew my free time would be greatly diminished and a car like this would sit a lot, so I decided to try and sell, thinking it was so cool one of you guys would snatch it up. But it sat and sat and sat. I still wanted a car though, and planned on using the sale money plus a growing stash from my side job to buy something newer and stock (probably a mustang, dont hate me, always loved them). But it sat and sat and sat, and I felt guilty that it was just wasting away. And people always PMd me asking to buy parts. In fact I almost parted it out. Until the other day....
    Wed wife goes to start her grand cherokee, and no start. Power was fine, but starter wasnt engaging. I try to do all the work on my cara, but this time around, I didnt have time so she towed it to the shop, who had previously swapped the starter. While there it started for them no issue. They were stumped, and threw a new starter at it for free (under warranty). I then realized 1) its probably a relay or something goong bad and 2) they arent testing shot, just throwing parts at it.
    Which led me to realize, the Shadow is just the challenge I need right now. I expect I will learn a great deal figuring out this electrical issue, so I'm diving in and going at it.
    Car is currently not for sale. Will be starting a new thread Sunday outlining how far I get this weekend on it

turbo addict

Cool good luck!

turbo addict

These cars are a great learning tool. I think your shift in perspective is great. Really once you get all the bugs ironed out they're very reliable. When I'm not tearing mine down for the next round of upgrades I don't hesitate to jump in and drive them anywhere. My winter beater is about my least trusted one but then it's from canada and looks like they parked it in the ocean and my time with it has been limited and I don't feel like dumping a huge amount of time and money into it with it's rust and with how much I picked it up for. As long as it get's me too and from work in the winter, all winter for as long as I feel the need to keep it around it's fine. I'll keep my nice ones for summer time and long drives.

Keep us updated. Lots of us have parts to aid you in your progress I'm sure.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

I'm actually pretty happy to hear this. It was way too nice to fall the fate of being parted.
    Realize that sometimes these electrical gremlins can be feisty and hard to eliminate. Be patient and try not to get discouraged. It will be well worth the effort when you are enjoying the potential of what you have there!
    One of those mopar diagnostic manuals could be a valuable resource if the harness hasn't been too modified.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

This is great to hear. Glad it'll live on to run another day.

^^Honestly the electrical is pretty easy, just run all new wires, Ive wired dune buggy 2.2 turbo smec and no big deal...sometimes dealing with old crap is a waste of time. Get a oem manual if not already stated.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast