Thread: Camshaft Sprocket Question

Threaded View

Garrett booster

Camshaft Sprocket Question

Not sure if this is the right section, but here goes. I am finishing up a project car I started last year and had a question about the Cam sprocket/head combo. The car is an 83' Omni with upgraded brakes and suspension and the motor is a 2.5 Tall Deck out of an 88' Aires. The car is going to remain carbed with a Weber so I don't need to worry about wiring or computers(Distributor got replaced with a unit Mallory made for our cars one upon a time). The motor is a bit of a conundrum since it came out of an 88', the head and seal covers are stamped 87' and it has round tooth sprockets as well as a 5 bolt small diameter crank/crank sprocket that supposedly was on 89-up blocks(No, it is not a commonblock crank, already checked). Although the sprocket itself does look slightly different than the commonblock sprockets I have. The bottom end has been completely rebuilt with 2.2 flat top pistons and I have a rebuilt 287 head that I am going to put on(I wasn't going to pay several hundred dollars to rebuild the 782 when I already had a good 287 ready to go). My question is: am I going to need use an offset cam key since it is a round tooth roller cam sprocket going on a slider head cam? If so, which key do I need to use? I can't seem to find this information anywhere and am hoping someone here has the answer.

Thank you,
    Dan
    Last edited by DSP; 08-30-2014 at 12:16 PM.