Thread: Overheating Issues

boostaholic

Question Overheating Issues

I have a 92 Daytona IROC R/T and I posted a few weeks ago this:

Today turned into an eventful lunch break in the 92 Daytona

I am sitting at a light and I hear a buzzer, look at the dash and see my coolant temps are really high, almost pegged the gauge. So I shut the car down, wait for the light, fire it up and get to Target which is a block away, by the time I get there its getting hotter. I roll to a stop and then I hear sizzling. I pop the hood and there is steam all over. The fan is not running, I check the fuse and relay, both are good, so I go jiggle some wires and check the plug on the fan itself. Then I drop the hood go into the store and get some distilled water. Come up, pop the cap for a nice gusher. Then add water, no leaks so I fire it up and start driving back to work. Blast the heat on high and vigilantly watch the water temp. It goes right back to normal. Drive to a gas station, pop the hood and the fan is ON. Back at work now and I hope this was just a fluke..

So since then I have not driven the car that much and anytime I drive it the car gets hot.
    Last night I was borrowing my buddies coolant funnel that you attach to the radiator cap and fill the funnel, this works well to remove any air bubbles from the system. Well I fire the car up and start warming it up. I let the car get hot, temps rise to 180, then 190, then 200. Temps just keep on rising. Then I blip the throotle and the revs hang up. I blip it a couple of more times and the revs keep climbing. It is idling at roughtly 4000 at this time. coolant temps are nearing 210. Fan never comes on. I kill the car coolant overflows the funnel and dumps all over.
    After cooling down and draining some of the coolant, I pulled the thermostat, put it in a pan of water, the t-stat didnt open till 205..
    Checked the waterpump and it spins freely, I replaced the pump a few years back.

I just can't keep this car cool anymore, what could it be? Is my thermostat shot? What else would cause this? Outside temps were around 70.

I am putting in a new thermostat today, and I ran a secondary auxilary switch into the car to operate the clutch relay if the ECU is not turning it on. I am running a boost button flashable ecu chip.

turbo addict

Re: Overheating Issues

When you don't have a cap on the coolant system, it's going to boil over every time. Hot coolant expands and system is suppose to work under pressure.

Have you tested the coolant temperature sensor and its wiring? If not, I start there. If the ECU doesn't know how hot the coolant is, fan won't turn on.

boostaholic

I have MPScan running, the ecu is telling me these values straight from the sensor. I know the sensor is good.

turbo addict

When if the fan set to come on? Check the fan relay/wiring/etc?

boostaholic

Installed a new 180 T-stat last night and re flashed the ECU, turning down the fan temps. Did multiple pulls, car was running at 195 on the highway, at stop lights, dropped to 186-188. Hottest I saw all night was 205. I think I can call this a success.

boostaholic

Been driving the car more often and the temp has not rose above 205. The other day I drove the car to work, the drive home was brutal stop and go traffic, it was 90 so I ahd the A/C blowing cold, never went over 210. I will cal this a success, although the A/C kinda sucks when your not moving, but I will not blame that on the cooling system. The condensor is not the most efficent design.