Thread: Will this configuration work

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Will this configuration work

Good evening,

Let me keep this question simple: Machine shop building a 1991 T-1 2.5 engine, replacement turbo will be a Mitsubishi. My goal is to use a small factory intercooler from my 89' Daytona T2. I want to run +20's, and a 52mm throttle body, no other modifications wanted. Can I keep the factory fuel pump and factory SBEC calibration? I am not going to be beating this car at all, just a slight bump up, and run lower air temps to the Mitsu small turbo from Turbos Unleashed.

Okay other slight mods:

1. Turbos Unleashed manual boost controller
    2. Wide Band AF monitor

turbo addict

Re: Will this configuration work

if it's a 1 piece intake you can skip the 52mm TB, it will do you ZERO good. Probably wouldn't throw +20's at it until you see if you actually need more fuel, the factory cals are pretty rich so adding just an IC probably won't have a need for +20's.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I would skip the +20s and just run a factory cal with stock injectors. Bump up the boost a couple of lbs and call it a day.

Hey guys thanks, and I mean that and will heed what you say. Cordes, I know you one of the top Gurus here. So to recap, skip the +20's and 52mm. But it's a good idea for the factory Daytona intercooler?

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, heck I'm happy to hear that, now I don't have to buy a 52mm throttle body, yeah it is a one piece intake.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

IMO you don't really need the IC if you're running below 14PSI either. If you have one it is a pretty quick and easy thing to install.

turbo addict

Swapping an i/c in will make a noticeable difference. When I converted my New Yorker to T2 status I ran it non-intercooled for a week or so so I could it when I had time. I was amazed at how much power it picked up hooking up the i/c made, even out of boost it had more power.

fantastic gents, IC it will be. I'm also having the A-413 transmission just opened up and have the stuff replaced, and the torque converter serviced as well for $750. Just a nice easy going ride. I know the Mitsu turbo don't put out much, but what I read they don't have turbo lag. Thank you again for your much needed knowledge.

turbo addict

no they're not laggy, but build the engine right and no turbo will have lag.

Interesting, I'm for sure a rookie when it comes to customizing engines. I let the pros do their thing, because the last thing I want to do is spent all the time, money and effort just to screw it up. I probably will pass this car onto my niece in a year when she is 16.

Hybrid booster

I have a 2.5 powered 91, with a larger Garrett turbo, large front mount intercooler, upgraded exhaust, and it still runs rich with stock injectors. I would not use the +20's in your case. The i/c might not be necessary but will not hurt anything. What year/model car? An 89 intercooler is the same basic size as any of them but with your goals in mind I would find something that bolts into the factory location.
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

turbo addict

if it's going to your niece then it's probably good to keep it like it is. But case in point, My S60 turbo was once considered laggy to this community. It has since been changed to a good street turbo, but on my setup it would start spooling at 1300rpms and be full song by 1700rpms. That's factory VNT spool rpms and the VNT is tiny. I was going to go to either a Super50 trim T4 compressor and an F1-57 wheel or my GT30R just to get the thing to spool at what id did stock which was 2800rpms-3200rpms so 1st and 2nd weren't so useless.

http://

http://

Is it a 1991 Dodge Shadow convertible, It was the Blue one posted for sale, but I changed my mind and going to do the project. Yes very valid points especially since it going to a girl who loves horses and not so much cars. She did say it is a nice car though.

Hybrid booster

If you're not opposed to spending money, finding a T3 or VNT radiator/intercooler combo would bolt right into your car (I used one in my 91 Lebaron) like it came from the factory. Otherwise you will end up needing to do some fabrication to get the intercooler in there.
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

Good call! Do you have any suggestions?

Hybrid booster

Well, not as much a suggestion as an example of what I did. The parts you'd need are used, so watch the parts for sale section here and at turbododge, post want ads, and hope for the best.

I bought a used T3 rad/ic. Spirit R/T or Daytona Iroc R/T had these. Also a 90 or later VNT car would have the correct mounting.....I believe (not 100% sure!).

Then I used the factory airbox and intercooler hoses from an 87 Daytona Shelby Z. Any T2 car will have something you can use for this, or you can keep the factory airbox you already have and do something else for the intercooler plumbing.

This translates to a direct bolt in intercooler installation that looks like it came from the factory. There are other (and more efficient) ways to do it.....I've since went back to a stock T1 radiator and a large front mount intercooler.....but for ease of installation it's hard to beat. The only reason I ever took it out was that the radiator started to leak (again, these parts are old and used so it's kind of a luck of the draw thing).

turbo addict

which setup do you like better dwh4784???