Thread: 87 GLHS New A/C Parts and Convert R-134

Mitsu booster

87 GLHS New A/C Parts and Convert R-134

Okso I’m in the process of rebuilding various things on my 87 GLHS. Most of thecar is in pieces but I’m at the stage of putting thing s back together. The carcame with A/C new, but when I purchased the car the A/C was disconnected withthe only parts left on the car were the, Discharge and Liquid Line,Expansion Valve, and the Evaporator Core. Not knowing the statusof these parts I have bought replacements for all along with the A/C Condenser, and a newDischargeand Liquid Line from RockAuto. I plan on getting a new Compressorw/ Clutch w/ A590 Compressor; all of the parts have been the Four Season Brand.Here comes the question, the Suction and Liquid Line isn’tavailable on RockAuto for the 87 GLHS but it is for a Shadow of the same yearwill this line work on the GLHS and are the A/CReceiver Drierthesame for the cars. I was told originally that when hooking things back up anddoing the conversion it would just be a matter of add R-134 and oil over theold 12 along with low and high psi ports. Is that correct? Thanks for the help.

turbo addict

Re: 87 GLHS New A/C Parts and Convert R-134

I would be hesitant to run the Shadow lines on the GLHS because they likely won't line up very well. Since it's not on Rockauto, I would check with some local part stores and/or a shop known for doing primarily AC work to see what they can come up with.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Shadow AC parts are different. Call Rock Auto. I ordered both line sets from them earlier this year, they may be able to give you a timeframe for when they will have it.

turbo addict

L-body 4 seasons lines are part # 55526 suction and 55512 discharge. l-body specific.
    Todd

turbo addict

The condenser is not going to work for you either. It's L body specific, and you will not be able to find anyone that sell them new.

Also, your OEM 65amp alternator will not be able to keep up either.

AJ, board member and my local mechanic, showed me a lot a/c things. He recently worked on the A/C system on a 87 GLHS. He also worked on my 85 GLH A/C.

Do you care about keeping everything OEM?

If not, aftermarket parallel flow condenser, at least a 90amp alternator (120amp prefer), custom A/C lines, 10PA17C compressor, 10PA17C alternator bracket, etc will work a lot better than OEM a/c equipment.

I would also upgrade the radiator fan in the process.
    Last edited by tryingbe; 08-27-2014 at 07:38 PM.

turbo addict

Old and stock setup.

New setup. A/C is colder, radiator keeps the engine cool.

Last edited by tryingbe; 08-27-2014 at 08:44 PM.

Mitsu booster

I already have a new condenser; it's for an L-body. All the parts I have are new, and for an L-body, justwanted to know about the last line I need to get still. Plan on getting the TUAluminum Rad and a new fan as well, didn't think about the alternator but,makes since thanks for the heads up. Thanks for the part# on the line too, thatwill help I’m sure.

turbo addict

If you bought the a/c condenser from Rockauto, it will not fit.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ight=condenser

Mitsu booster

Maybe the one you got didn't fit, the one I got fits in my car, but it's not the same part# you list or by the same manufacture. Also my engine compartment is void of almost everthing right now, but it bolts in the factory location as it is. We shall see once the motor goes back in I guess.

turbo addict

Care to post the make and model number of what you have? It might help other forum members.

Mitsu booster

The part # from rockauto is Pro Part # AY7013340 they also list the alternate OEM # for comparison. Here is how it looks mocked up in my car.

Will I was going to post the pics. Can't figure it out right now and i would rather be working on my car then trying to get them posted. So back to work I go. I'll try again later.
    Last edited by sq963; 08-31-2014 at 01:38 PM.

Mitsu booster

Ok after many attempts to upload pics, I can't figure it out. It tells me I don't have permission. IDK? So if someone wants I can send them to you and post for me that would be great.