Thread: Do our ignition systems require a ballast resistor?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Do our ignition systems require a ballast resistor?

I'm having some odd in-boost spark issues lately and I'm still trying to chase it down. I happened to glance at the instructions for my MSD Blaster SS coil that I've been using for 42k miles now. It says to use a ballast resistor on non-current-limiting systems. Does that apply to us? I'm running a 2.4 on a SMEC.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

turbo addict

Re: Do our ignition systems require a ballast resistor?

What is the odd-in-boost issue? At boost level? Try a smaller gap?

turbo addict

Does not apply. That install is probably with an older mustang ignition in mind.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

If it is an oil filled canister type coil than it does need a ballast resister, the canister must be mounted very close to vertical also according to msd tech

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Agreed. All the Chryslers I've had with canister coils had a ballast resistor.
    Also, I've had bad luck with MSD coils. Try a stock one.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    What is the odd-in-boost issue? At boost level? Try a smaller gap?
    When I take it up past 12psi or so, it starts misfiring. Idling, putt-putting around town, and lower boost, it's completely smooth. I can't really say that it's a plug gap because it's an all-of-a-sudden problem. Saturday night I was out terrorizing people and 20psi was fine. I experimented with plug gap years ago when I first got it together, and .025 seems to work well with my setup:

-1st gen 2.4
    -distributor on the intake cam
    -Blaster SS coil
    -NGK V-power copper plugs (just put new ones in yesterday gapped at the same .025" as the old ones - identical results)

I've ran this for years without any major issues. I've still got some investigating to do before I get mad though. I've got the coil on my desk with me and both primary and secondary resistances look reasonable. I don't see any physical damage either.

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I do have plenty of stockers around! If that's it, I'll have to come up with some other mounting. I'm not so keen on mounting an oil canister type coil on the engine.
    Jon J.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tinyturbo View Post
    If it is an oil filled canister type coil than it does need a ballast resister, the canister must be mounted very close to vertical also according to msd tech

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Are you guys sure you're not thinking of the condenser that was mounted on the older canister coils? A ballast resistor is used on pre-HEI ignition systems that still use breaker points. They limit the power to the points to ~7 volts in order to keep from burning the points up. With the advent of HEI ignition modules (and whatever Ford and Mopar called their equivalents) around 1973, breaker points and ballast resistors became obsolete because factory ignition systems were now able to handle the full 12 volt power load.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Eh maybe you're right. Lol
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Get a stock coil. That blaster coil has much less output than the stocker. Also, no ballast resistor required, the driver in the smec limits current automatically.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

I've never seen anything next the stock coils other than the little condenser, so I was kinda confused by that. I'm pretty sure the condenser is nothing more than a heavy-duty capacitor. The ballast resistors I've seen were either aluminum extrusion housed for heat, or a wirewound ceramic resistor mounted to a heat sink.

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    Get a stock coil. That blaster coil has much less output than the stocker. Also, no ballast resistor required, the driver in the smec limits current automatically.
    Where can I find specs on a stock coil? Also, did TBI and turbo cars get the same coils?
    Last edited by jonnymopar; 08-27-2014 at 02:33 PM.
    Jon J.

Huh, well I'll be:

I whipped up a crappy coil wire and half-assed a mount onto an unused stud on the intake. Whaddya know... tire-frying boost! I wonder what gave out in that MSD coil. It's been in there for a pretty good while now.

Questions:

- How well do the later-model coils mounted to the engine work when compared to the old-school oil canister coils?
    - Is anybody using the stock canister-type coil in the original location while using the distributor on the head? That setup makes for one LONG coil wire.
    - Anybody know of any better coils that I could mount similar to where my MSD coil is now?

Thanks!
    Jon J.

turbo addict

Probably the best factory coil is the e-core coil on the later models. I think they are near 55-60kv. Those blasters real world are somewhere like 26-30kv.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hybrid booster

Chrysler and ACCEL coils have an internal resistance of 1.4 something, IIRC. The MSD coils have an internal resistance of .07 ohms. So a ballast resister is needed to increaceresistance to the correct values. Stock coil or Accel super stock is preferred, many people Ive seen use the MSD have issues, when ran without the ballast resistor.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I run a later-style epoxy cored coil on my Charger and I think it works great.

I absolutely hammered on this car on the highway going to work today. I swear it's smoother in the 5000+ RPM range with the half-assed stock coil setup on it. I guess it's time to grab a later-model coil.

Would one of these work?: http://shop.accel-ignition.com/ignit...by-jacobs.html
    Jon J.

Hybrid booster

turbo addict

the accel super stack works - I used one for a long time on one of my old TD's

I've also used the flat grey efi ford / gm accel coil - Idono the part number for that but it has fins running across it on an angle - it too may be better with a resistor - again Idono , never tryed it with one

Sweet! I didn't know there was a Screamin' Demon coil for our cars: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dui-31728/overview/

I've been running one of these (well, the DIS version) on my Neon with a set of Crane wires for years and it's been great. I might give this one a shot.
    Jon J.