Thread: Matchbox at the Inaugural Big Go Car Show in Brownsburg, IN Tuesday

turbo addict

Matchbox at the Inaugural Big Go Car Show in Brownsburg, IN Tuesday

So....here is a link...you might notice 6 Top Fuel and Funny Car drivers sitting in the box!
    http://www.indycarz.com/forum/showth...030#post942030
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Matchbox at the Inaugural Big Go Car Show in Brownsburg, IN Tuesday

That's pretty cool Angelo. I love your bumper sticker on there. I'd vote for you based on that alone.

turbo addict

That bumper sticker was made by one of my sponsors...T3 Signs. Fishers went from under 1000 people in 1973 to over 76,000 in 2010. We had the biggest town in the US and a vote was held in 2012 to decide if we would stay a town, or become a city with a mayor. Even though the town has grown immensely around my property with housing additions on both sides of me I am considered to be in the country...so we could NOT vote on what the town would become AND I could not run for mayor if I even wanted to due to where we live! Since we are in the "country" our property taxes are decently low. If you click on the link below, switch to birds eye view and zoom in all the way you can see Matchbox by the garage and also my white 96 Geo Metro 3 banger, black SRT4 Pit Bull, and the wife's 01 Voyager. The pond behind the house is stocked with fish and is the retention pond for the houses on the other side. We can fish there...they can't!
    http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...=en&FORM=BYLH1
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

turbo addict

That's pretty dang cool, Angelo! Matchbox is one of my favorite L-bodies around due to the history you and the car have.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Mitsu booster

Did you used to race matchbox at bunker hill in Kokomo, IN? Could have sworn it was that car, maybe not.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Gold85GLH-T View Post
    Did you used to race matchbox at bunker hill in Kokomo, IN? Could have sworn it was that car, maybe not.
    Yep....that was me! I started drag racing back in 83 with a silver 81 Euro-Sedan Plymouth Horizon named Four Play...got it in the 13s then sold it since never consistent. Stated racing the 1984 Matchbox, one of 84 Plymouths built with the HO drivetrain that the GLH had...in 1985. Went on to be track champ in 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 91, & 92 there....also used to use a blue GLH turbo that ran 14.0s on motor and 11.8s on 150 hp shot of nitrous. In 1992 I won two track championships with both cars....Matchbox at Indy. The last track championship I had was 1996 at Indy...not for lack of trying!

Mitsu booster

NO WAY!!! I knew that had to have been you. I remember being around 15 or 16 maybe when I saw it. (21 now). I remember thinking "that sounds cool, but... it looks weird". As luck would have it I now own a 85 GLHT lol. I live in Tipton so I'm always going to Muncie and bunker hill to help my buddy race his zx10. You never know, maybe in a couple weeks if your free we could run against each other!!! It would be fun to meet up and shoot the ----, you obviously have your cars and bracket racing figured out. Me and my buddy spend every waking minute we have trying to get every tenth we can from his 10 so I'm sure picking your brain would give me some ideas!!
    Kaleb

turbo addict

Matchbox had been figured out since 2006....but on windy days and with only about 94 hp every 1 mph of wind would chane the et bu .01....NOT good on windy days. So...in a moment of hey, I can get it better by more power moment I started using some money and gift certificates in order to get more consistency on windy days. The car had been using a common block 2.5 bone stock motor from a low mileage 94 Shadow...but on went my 84 intake and Weber 32/36 downdraft carb. The stock HO computer had been replaced many years ago with a normal one for the base 2.2 but about every 12-14 months the diaphragm in it would fail causing the timing to go everywhere and loose races. The computer no longer is used for timing...all vacuum lines were capped and the carb re-jetted and no computer problems ever again and the car only slowed maybe .30 in the 1/4. The timing is set at 10.5 degrees...we tried the old hot rod trick of setting it at 30 and the car slowed into the 18s! Several months ago on went a Super Competition Hooker long tube header ($34 after certificate was used), the 84 intake was swapped out for a port matched 87, and on went a F1 cam. The car slowed .30! A swap to the stock cam still had it that slow....so a F1 cam might be good on a turbo car but makes no difference on a non-turbo motor. I should not say no, because even though the ets between the cams were the same I could shift at 5000 rpm in all gears with the F1, while the stock roller ran its best when shifted at 4750 1-2 and 4500 2-3. A few weeks later and a head gasket was blown...even melted a small passage between two of the cylinders, so on went a stock roller cam with re-man head from Auto Zone. Once again, still .30 slow...swapped back in the F1 cam and same o same o. Took the old damaged head to Indy Cylinder head and they estimated $480 to fix the head, new guides, and mill it to raise the compression. I then took it to Quinlin Automotive in Indy...they estimated $380 but finished it for $313! The fixed head went back on and the car went back to what it used to run. I have used another gift certificate to get a Comp Cam magnum...specifically made for non-turbo usage with 280 duration and it will be put in this Thursday. When I was running terribly at SDAC I had a huge vacuum leak...my EGTS went from 1320 down to the 1100-1160 range...the car hated to run, sounded like it had a HUGE cam, and was .40 on pass to pass....hopefully the new cam brings it back to a more powerful top end. Don't try to get the F1 guys, Brad Pennington will get it for his turbo car. I really need a points type of dist on it!

Mitsu booster

Wow, you have that car DIALED IN, to say the least! So you just did what most of the drag cars do to set timing. Capped all vac. Lines and lock the distributor down. Cool.
    Did the car like the short-shifting? I know it ran about the same, but did shifting it higher make it shift a little harder or cleaner? I assume not I'm just wondering. if you go racing when you install your new cam, I'd love to come see you run!
    My omni has similar idling issues. It's a 2.5 common block, 782 FB, Garrett T2, HUGE FMIC, AFPR, 86-87 GLHS electronics with a MP stage 2 LM, etc... it starts great, fires up every time effortlessly. Lopes pretty decent, not normal for sure. I'm calling it a "lope" but it's more like a miss. Cleans up as soon as you rev it up! I was chasing it down for a day or so when I realized the PO didn't add the required air charge temp sensor when converting the electronics. So I finally figured out why after the car warmed up, it made its own ~3k rev limter, which I now know is limp mode. So I'm not gonna keep chasing the problem until I get a Cal from Rob for the 2.5.
    What are you running suspension wise to help you out. Our setups are very different considering that mine is a manual so there will be a lot more shock on the drivetrain (I'll blow the 525 FAST I'm sure) but I would bet you have the suspension figured out on these cars too!!!!
    Thanks for talking to me bud, I hope we can arrange something soon!
    Kaleb

turbo addict

Using the stock 87 tall block motor with balance shafts removed and later (current) 94 common block motor with balance shafts still in it....both using my 84 intake and header...both ran the quickest (stock roller cam...both were efi motors originally) shifting at 4750 1-2 and 4500 2-3....when ever I shifted at 5000 on both shifts the car would slow nearly a half second! The new Comp Cam Magnum...460 lift and 280 duration made it come alive last night at Brad Penningtons house...nice REAL lope and the exhaust is so much crisper. It will be back out at Indy Sunday for their last points race of the year...currently 1 round out of 7th.

As far as suspension....bone stock. I used to use those spring clamp things on the front to lower it about 1.5 inches and on the back I used some twist in spacers that prevented it from transferring the wt to the rear on the launch...but I pulled 2.09 best with them and the same without them, but a bit more comfortable on the road.

Garrett booster

What was the setup on your blue 11.8 GLH. I know you ran the DC intercooler kit, but what all was done to the top half of the motor? Ported head, manifolds, bigger throttle body?

turbo addict

Shockingly little was done to the car. The entire motor was stock except bigger cam...cant remember which one, over-the-motor-and-through-the-hood DC intercooler, the computer that was to be used with that intercooler, and larger/gutted cat exhaust. The only weight reduction was removal of the passenger seat. I used a brass valve to the waste gate from a fish tank to raise boost...but it had two levers on it. If I hit 14+ psi of boost it would shut everything down. I had it set up perfectly with one valve of it totally open and another partially open. Then when I'd use nitrous right off the starting line I would close down the side totally open since more boost occurred from the nitrous use itself. I did attempt a run at the 1994 Mopar Nats at Indy with 175 hp shot of nitrous and the Viper fuel pump could not keep up resulting in a nasty backfire that lifted the head off the motor, melted the head of a valve clean off, and melted a marble sized hole in the head. Never had problem with the 150 hp shot. I also had a bad O2 sensor...a good one resulted in bad spark knock! The only other mod was to put in an automatic with Coan made converter and full manual Cheetah valve body...AND leave in SECOND gear with the short 20x8 M/T slicks! I miss that car!

turbo addict

As far as the latest news on Matchbox...out came the F1 cam and roller followers...in went a Comp Cam 460 lift and 280 duration. The car picked up nearly a full second! It now runs 9s in the 1/8th and 17.7s in the 1/4...over 80 mph. It has Never ran this fast since the 2.5 and automatic was put in place of the HO 2.2 back in 2006! Using my calculator to figure HP at the tires at the track I went from 93.1 hp to 109! This improvement was achieved by still shifting at a lowly 5000 rpm and at the Import Face-Off being held later in the month I will try higher shifts. Keep in mind that the car has NO ignition timing as it goes down the track...computer is only used to start the car!

Mitsu booster

Wow that's some awesome results for JUST a cam swap!!! I want to come race and run with you somewhere if possible! I just ordered my tune from boost button so I just need a couple misc. Things now Like air charge temp sensor, IC piping. Some +20's (rockslinger) and a few misc. Small pieces.
    Kaleb

turbo addict

My next race for Matchbox...and its last for the year will be the Import Face-Off event next Sunday at National Trail. Better get there EARLY though! I won the fall event in 2012, was semis last year in the fall, then won in the spring portion this year. HUGE number of cars!

http://forums.thefoat.com/ImportFace...+-+National+T/

turbo addict

I am hoping to get it into the 15.60 range by raising the shift points so I can run it in the Open Comp class at the National Muscle Car Association World Finals at Indy in October, if not I will run my Camaro in True Street, LS Rumble, and Open Comp...but without the nitrous being used...except if needed! To run Open Comp...the slowest time you are allowed is a 15.70....what ever the fastest time is that you run they dial you in a tenth faster.