Thread: AC function with LM to SBEC swap

turbo addict

AC function with LM to SBEC swap

I think I might have time to get my ac up and running this weekend. Ive swapped out my 87 lm for a 91 sbec and harness. Im running a bb flashable ecu. Do I need to change out the pressure sensor at the expansion valve? I think the plug is there in the harness. I thought I had read the later models used two sensors. Any info appreciated. Thanks.

turbo addict

Re: AC function with LM to SBEC swap

The '91s do use two sensors. The low side at the block like the earlier models, plus a pressure sensor on the high side near the compressor.

FWIW, since my '91 R/T doesn't have the AC installed, I use the AC/defrost controls to manually turn on the fan when the car needs a little extra cooling after spirited driving or in the staging lanes at the track. Using a jumper wire in both connectors allows the fan to turn on when ac or defrost is chosen. You may be able to get away with simply jumpering the pins on the SBEC for the high side sensor while the rest of the system works as intended with the low-side sensor connected properly.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict

Thanks. So that second plug would I find that in the harness with the compressor clutch plug? Thanks.

turbo addict

On my R/T the connector comes out of the harness near the passenger side headlight & vapor cannister and plugs into a sensor on the high pressure line. Two wire connector, roughly the same size & shape as the temp sensor connector by the thermostat.

I'll check the TBI Acclaim later today when I get a chance to see if that one had the connector coming out of the front engine harness or the same location as the R/T.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict

Awesome thank you

turbo addict

Yup, the '92 Acclaim has a similar connector that connects to the compressor. The wires come from the front engine harness.

turbo addict

Ok got all the wiring sorted out. I have an issue though. The 12v that comes from the blower resistor to the ac control in the dash. It appears that feed is intermittent. It shows a diode on that feed and I belive that is the issue. How do you get that resistor pack out of the blower housing? I can get to the 5/16 screws but it seems there are nuts on the inside. Thanks.