Thread: Waste gate solenoid question

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar

Waste gate solenoid question

Can someone tell me how the waste gate solenoid is supposed to operate. These solenoids appear to be normally closed between the top and side spigots. With the ignition key off there is no voltage present at the solenoid electrical connection, once I turn the key on there is 24 VDC available for the solenoid but it remains closed even with the engine running and vacuum at the top spigot. To me this means that the solenoid is prevented from opening until boost pressure reaches a predetermined level at which point it opens to vent pressure to atmosphere to control the waste gate open/close cycle.
    The problem I am having is that I have a CSX calibration, 33 lb. injectors. My boost goes to 20 psi when it should stop at 15 psi because of the cal. Therefore the engine acts like it is going lean and surges. Apparently my waste gate can is opening on its own at twenty psi. I have changed out the solenoid and ohmed it out. 32 ohms resistance. Do these things freeze up?
    Can anyone enlighten me?
    Jeff
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Garrett booster

Re: Waste gate solenoid question

Here is a good read on the solenoids: http://www.minimopar.net/solenoids.html

Have you changed your wastegate? What CSX calibration are you using?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Good info there on MiniMopar.net.

For the '87 T2, the manifold should be connected to the 'common' port and the WG Actuator to the 'NC' port (using Russ' terminology) on the solenoid.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

That is what I was looking for. The NC NO COMMON is standard solenoid nomenclature industry wide. With this information I can try to find at least two solenoids that work for the baro-read and waste gate. The schematics show me that I have the map and baro-read solenoids switched around. It looks like many of my solenoids are frozen and I will have to try to free them up. Then next question is, why do I have 24 VDC at the solenoid connector? The signal comes from the LM at and a common ground splice. Is there 24 VDC anywhere on the LM?
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1234 View Post
    That is what I was looking for. The NC NO COMMON is standard solenoid nomenclature industry wide. With this information I can try to find at least two solenoids that work for the baro-read and waste gate. The schematics show me that I have the map and baro-read solenoids switched around. It looks like many of my solenoids are frozen and I will have to try to free them up. Then next question is, why do I have 24 VDC at the solenoid connector? The signal comes from the LM at and a common ground splice. Is there 24 VDC anywhere on the LM?
    I don't know how you get 24v there. Should be 12v. The computer grounds the solenoid to operate it.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Yes, I still have to figure that one out. I know what I saw on my multimeter but I question it too. I am hopeful that discovering that I identified the solenoids incorrectly is going to solve some more problems. I checked out my solenoids and the plungers are all ok so they should work properly.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1234 View Post
    Can someone tell me how the waste gate solenoid is supposed to operate. These solenoids appear to be normally closed between the top and side spigots. With the ignition key off there is no voltage present at the solenoid electrical connection, once I turn the key on there is 24 VDC available for the solenoid but it remains closed even with the engine running and vacuum at the top spigot. To me this means that the solenoid is prevented from opening until boost pressure reaches a predetermined level at which point it opens to vent pressure to atmosphere to control the waste gate open/close cycle.
    The problem I am having is that I have a CSX calibration, 33 lb. injectors. My boost goes to 20 psi when it should stop at 15 psi because of the cal. Therefore the engine acts like it is going lean and surges. Apparently my waste gate can is opening on its own at twenty psi. I have changed out the solenoid and ohmed it out. 32 ohms resistance. Do these things freeze up?
    Can anyone enlighten me?
    Jeff
    When you say key on, you mean running or just to the on position? How do you have more volts than the battery will allow on or off? Is the 24v elsewhere in the system? Which wire color is yielding the 24v?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

It was just the key on. I was measuring across the connector pins for the baro read. The lite blue and it's ground wire. My multimeter is auto ranging and I verified that the display read a whole number with a small "v" after it. Anyway, sorting out the solenoids did the trick. Smooth acceleration up to 15 psi but it over boosts I think. Can I control that with an air bleed or...
    Is there a step up transformer on the PM board. I don't see circuitry in the schematics indicating a connection

I've got an issue with the WG solenoid on the Lancer. Used the minimopar site to test the solenoid and it passed all tests. When I installed the one tested, it seems to operate correctly and I get 12 psi, but shortly after this it seems to not work correctly and I only get minimum boost, about 7psi. Is there something that would cause it to stop getting voltage? I haven't measured this while the car is running and under boost, but since it works initially after swapping the solenoid(gets 12v) and then it stops working, trying to figure out why it would interrupt power or stop getting power, as seems to be the case.

EDIT: Tested the wrong solenoid, but tested the others and all are working properly. You can remove the solenoid out of the equation and it will overboost, so it will build boost. Probably should check for leaks and possibly electrical issues. :-\
    Last edited by minigts; 08-08-2016 at 06:08 PM.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]