Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Durangos? Any feedback?

New Durangos? Any feedback?

Anyone out there have a latest generation Durango? We could be looking for a replacement family vehicle...ideally one that I could also use to tow with. I haven't gone test driving yet, but intend to start looking around soon.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Pat

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: New Durangos? Any feedback?

Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

I like em. Not what the Durango used to be, but a nice vehicle in their own right. Why the GC got the diesel option and not the Durango (yet) I can't imagine.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Well, I am kind of a big deal...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

I like them too but get the Hemi. The 3.6 is ok but I feel it needs more. My parents were just in the market for a SUV and looked at quite a few different brands and models. The GC was very nice but the $50+k price tag for a limited is a little hard to justify. They ended up with a 15 Sorento SX. Im not going to get into it much on but lets just say I was really impressed...
    Justin
    84 Plymouth Voyager LE 2.5 Intercooled Turbo 5-spd - Only 84 Turbo Van!
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    91 Dodge Shadow Convertible 2.5 Intercooled Turbo A555 5-spd
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.8 supercharged! Only 5K miles....
    01 Subaru Forester - Daily Driver
    07 Yamaha FJR 1300 140+ HP on 2 wheels
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    94 Bobcat 763 Skidloader 2.2 Kubota Diesel
    SV-SDAC Member

I have a 2014 GC with the tow package. It does fine with my Charger on a dolly, the 3.6 with the 8 speed is a great combo.
    1988 Shadow ES 4-door 13.61@98.89 2002 Neon ACR 1989 Shadow ES 4-door 1996 Yamaha FZR 600 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 15.87@85 Stock Pentastar V6 2001 Altima DD

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Before you pull the trigger on a new family hauler, sit in each's third row seats. Durango, uncomfortable, tiny bleacher like seats, deal killer for me. That's part of the reason I ended up with the Ecoboost 5th Gen Explorer.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

The 3.6 with the old 5 speed was pretty slow. The 2014 durango 3.6 with the 8 speed runs pretty good. The hemi 8 speed Durango is a high 14-low 15 second car. Reliability wise they are pretty good. Literally the only problems we see are on early 2011 and 2012's for the internal fuel pump relay dying inside the tipm. They are very well engineered in my opinion.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Before you pull the trigger on a new family hauler, sit in each's third row seats. Durango, uncomfortable, tiny bleacher like seats, deal killer for me. That's part of the reason I ended up with the Ecoboost 5th Gen Explorer.
    Kids these days are spoiled anyways. My mom always said f you to my 2 brothers and I and had 2 door cars only.

Hey Pat, if you need 3rd row seating, my brother still has that '76 Impala wagon!
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

turbo addict

If you can take the whiting the fuel mileage, go for the hemi. The 3.6 has been getting pretty bad, water pumps, heads, oil pumps, can phasers, leaks, ect. I don't see any problems with the hemi. Either way, get a service contract.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

I haven't seen any issues out of the 13 and newer tweaked 3.6. If they were having issues, enterprise would have found them by now. They like to send us their warranty crap after the Chevy dealer does all the gravy. I've done probably close to 20 heads on 11's and 12's. I can bang out 3.6 heads in under 4 hours and get paid 11 under warranty.

turbo addict

what was wrong with the heads on the 11 and 12 3.6's? My wife wants a new GC but can't afford the Hemi in the models it comes in. So it'd be a 3.6 8spd for us.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    I haven't seen any issues out of the 13 and newer tweaked 3.6. If they were having issues, enterprise would have found them by now. They like to send us their warranty crap after the Chevy dealer does all the gravy. I've done probably close to 20 heads on 11's and 12's. I can bang out 3.6 heads in under 4 hours and get paid 11 under warranty.
    We dont see many heads anymore but we have seen multiple water pumps on 13s and 14s squealing, and we have had 3 wranglers and a grand cherokee have the oil pumps get stuck in the high pressure mode, no damage, just CEL. The only stuff we see from enterprise is 14s/15s with the wrong oil filter, and recalls.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    what was wrong with the heads on the 11 and 12 3.6's? My wife wants a new GC but can't afford the Hemi in the models it comes in. So it'd be a 3.6 8spd for us.
    The guides shift in the left cylinder head causing the valves not to seat correctly and a slight misfire is the result. They redesigned the left head, switched to 5w20 from 5w30 and redesigned the oil filter and housing to rectify the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    We dont see many heads anymore but we have seen multiple water pumps on 13s and 14s squealing, and we have had 3 wranglers and a grand cherokee have the oil pumps get stuck in the high pressure mode, no damage, just CEL. The only stuff we see from enterprise is 14s/15s with the wrong oil filter, and recalls.
    I have seen 1 oil pump with a stored code in a 2011 police Durango. Couldn't duplicate it but we threw an oil pump in it anyways. Hasn't come back and its been over a month.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Ive been hearing from a couple of my new coworkers who are ex-chrysler techs (we are all teaching now) that the new 3.6 oil pumps use a PWM solenoid to control pressure instead of a good old spring-loaded relief valve and there are now 4 possible codes relating to the system.

I have heard nothing but good about the new Durango. I think it, the GC and the Sorento are three of the best ones on the market in their price brackets.

Any reason not to consider a quad/crew 3.6/8spd ram? It's like a 4.7 quad cab dakota that does everything better except low rpm torque, but even having said that, its very impressive for what it is. I didnt know i wanted one until i drove one.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Personally, I'd prefer a pick up. However, this would be the wife's driver and the likely hood of me getting her to daily a pick up is somewhere near zero. :-)

Alan: How are you liking the Explorer?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

boostaholic

MEGACAB cummins ram,family/tow vehicle problem solved.

turbo addict

I'm doing a PDI on a new durango r/t hemi 8 speed as I am typing this. I sat in the third row and it's not terrible (im 5'9"ish 175lbs). I wouldn't put adults back there for a long time though.

turbo addict

a PDI???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast