Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: <Insert catchy LeBaron name here>

Hybrid booster

Re: <Insert catchy LeBaron name here>

Well, I got the fuel tank and pump in, just to find out the timing belt was stripped. Finally got around to fixing that, and she RUNS!!! and moves under her own power.... too bad she doesn't stop on her own
    Brake line is rusted through and started spewing brake fluid. Guess that's next on the to-do list. Also need to find a replacement injector harness. Something pretty wrong going on there.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I picked up an 89 5 speed GTC coupe that spent most of it life in MO but it did move north to Minneapolis for one winter so it has some light rust under it. It's my sons first car, a father son project for the next two years Now if I could just get him away from the PS4 and onto the project with me Anyway, the fuel tank looks beat and I want a new walbro pump to insure theres plenty of fuel for future upgrades, where did you get the tank and straps? Did it come complete? Any additional pieces you had to source out?

So far we've just cleaned the interior and painted some minor items but I think we should tackle the tank and pump next. You think it was hard finding yours, try finding one that's NOT a convertible and NOT red, my only two deal killers in the search. It's white (partially anyway, no paint on the roof at all) with gray interior, overhead console, enthusiast drivers seat-the works. Me likey, it's my (and my sons) first J body

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

I got the tank from Autopartswarehouse.com
    It was cheaper than the local junkyards. I'd suggest calling them rather than placing an order online. I called about a question I had, and they gave me 10% off to order over the phone as opposed to ordering online when I got home.
    I got the straps from Rock Auto, along with a bunch of other parts, you could get the straps from anywhere I'd assume.
    If you break the roll over vent in the top of the tank (Which you probably will) they are no longer available at the dealer. Jeep part numbers J5360058 and 52018823 will be the replacement valve and grommet that fit perfectly. I think I paid about $28 at the dealership.

Great info, thanks Sorry for the hijack

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife

Hybrid booster

Well, the 88 is gone. Too much rust for my tastes. Was going to part it out, but my brother decided he wanted it.

Replacing it is a 1989 LeBaron 2.5L Auto in nearly mint exterior condition. Needs new seats and a new top, but other than that, in pretty good condition.

And yes... I tried buying the IROC R/T in the garage for the same price... he wasn't having it.

Hybrid booster

Had some time yesterday to play with it. Since I picked it up, it's been running 3-5 psi. I wanted to do a compression test on the motor before worrying about fixing the boost. Compression test yielded 130-140-140-140 (Yay)
    Started working on the boost issue, turned out to be the factory BoV was leaking under boost. Swapped it out and now she runs 7-10 psi
    Going to the drag strip this weekend with some friends, might pay the extra $10 for a tech card and see what she can do in stock form.

Hybrid booster

Btw, are the stock BoVs supposed to have air coming out of them at idle? I know most BoVs are open during vacuum, but I assumed it would be sucking air into the BoV, not spitting air out. The only thing I can think of is because it's between the turbo and the throttle plate, the turbo may be pressurizing that pipe with 1-2 psi due to the throttle being closed.

Not much help on the stock BOV question, it's the first thing I change so I don't have any cars equipped with one.

89 is a far better car, light years ahead. Airbag, auto air, updates all around.

gone crazy Turbo Mopar Contributor J&H Ryan's Avatar

Yeah, I've been in your garage, ha. The Black Omni was in the corner and you may have been getting ready to move? Can't remember why I was out there exactly. 2009...my DD was likely a green XJ cherokee (as it is now).

J-bodies are rare up here too now. There are a few 3.0/autos around CL usually, the occasional "meh" condition 2.5/auto and that's about.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12