Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: <Insert catchy LeBaron name here>

Hybrid booster

<Insert catchy LeBaron name here>

Guess this is a good spot to keep a record of my return to Turbo Mopars.

Picked up this beauty about a month ago.

The guy who owned it before the guy I got it from kept meticulous records, including a Jasper engine and complete re-spray to the tune of over $5,000 back in 2002ish

The guy who I picked it up from, was a lying sack of honda excrement about it's condition. I was told that everything worked fine except for a minor fuel issue, but he assured me the pump tested fine.

Drove 16 hours round trip with a tow-dolly to get it home, and everything went down hill from there.

Rear window regulator toast
    Convertible top motor toast
    2 button NAV toast
    Power Antenna toast
    Fuel pump toast
    Fuel tank toast
    Fuel filler neck cut in half

and I'm sure I'll find more issues as I continue fixing stuff.

So fast forward to today:

New goodies have been stocking up waiting for me to get a chance to start working on it.

Fuel tank
    Fuel pump
    Fuel tank straps
    Boost Gauge
    Cap/Rotor/Wires
    Plugs
    1g DSM BOV

Found the fuel tank online for $63 shipped, saved myself over $10 from the local junkyard

Got the old tank out, what a mess.

New tank looks outstanding, decided to hit it with a coat of rubberized undercoating, since the old tank looked as it did.

Just need to figure out how to get the Walbro onto the hangar assembly, and I'll be able to finish putting it all back together.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: <Insert catchy LeBaron name here>

Bummer about the misrepresentation, but it is nice looking. Good luck getting it going.

Hybrid booster

Very nice.
    '88 Lebaron convertible. RWD 408/A500/8.75" 466hp/511tq. First pass coming soon.... '05 Magnum R/T. 13.79@102 Member SWPA-SDAC. The Steel city chapter.

Hybrid booster

Power antenna doesn't move, motor tries but the mast doesn't actually move. Any suggestions on getting a replacement mast?

Hybrid booster

They tend to freeze up if they haven't been used in a while. I know I have to try mine several times after it sits over the winter. I'd soak it down with a good penetrant for a few days. If that doesn't work try to open in up and pull the mast up manually and give it a good coat of oil.

turbo addict

I really like LeBarons..if I had a "dream turbo mopar" it would be whatever year was the last to have a 2.5 turbo, and with every option possible....those are nice verts man..cruising at 25 psi with the top down sounds like a time

Hybrid booster

Other than the chrome grill I have your car's twin parked outside, very nice
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead24-7 View Post
    They tend to freeze up if they haven't been used in a while. I know I have to try mine several times after it sits over the winter. I'd soak it down with a good penetrant for a few days. If that doesn't work try to open in up and pull the mast up manually and give it a good coat of oil.
    I'll give that a shot, seems everything that is broken on the car just need some lithium grease and a little effort, except the top motor, I fear it's toast.

Hybrid booster

The pump for the top isn't too bad to replace, I had to do mine a couple summers ago. Make sure it isn't the switch first, I'm on my third one of those.
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

Hybrid booster

Already tested the switch and relay, motor gets power, but nothing moves.

Hybrid booster

I've got a few extra motors if you need one.
    '88 Lebaron convertible. RWD 408/A500/8.75" 466hp/511tq. First pass coming soon.... '05 Magnum R/T. 13.79@102 Member SWPA-SDAC. The Steel city chapter.

Hybrid booster

Been thinking about gauge placement since I got the car, I'd like to keep it as stock looking as possible from the outside for..... obvious reasons. So I pulled the message center and took some measurements. After a few days, some ABS plastic arrived. Took some more measurements and did some drilling and ended up with this.

Only have 1 gauge so far, so I didn't cut out the other 2 holes yet. But I plan on adding fuel pressure and wideband gauges.

Just need to add the mounting tabs so it'll mount to the factory location. (Currently just stuck into the bezel, angle ring is a pretty snug fit)

On a side note, anyone know where I can get some wood grain that closely resembles the original? I think I'd like to have it there instead of the textured ABS plastic.

Hybrid booster

I did the same with mine. It works out pretty well. You can use the existing wiring for your lights and grounds, so they come on with your headlights and dim with your dash lights as well.

http://s597.photobucket.com/user/Gun...tml?sort=3&o=0

http://s597.photobucket.com/user/Gun...tml?sort=3&o=1
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hybrid booster

It looks like you drilled out the factory message center to install the gauges? I didn't want to destroy mine in case I wanted to put it back for some reason, so I ordered ABS plastic panels.

Hybrid booster

Judging by his sig I don't think he's overly concerned with keeping it original....RWD....466hp...

Gunrunner is that the blue one in your Photobucket? Those ground f/x and hood scoops look amazing. I'm drooling over it as I type!

Hybrid booster

Yea, I used an original message center. I have a box full of them from the dozen or so other Lebarons, Daytonas etc. I've had over the years so I didn't really consider it a sacrifice to cut one up. Plus already having the mounting tabs made it easy. It will come out just as good your way, there's a million ways to cook a chicken. lol

The 'Baron in the photobuket is mine, I also have a build thread in the this project log section. Check it out there if you want, don't want to hijack Easy's thread.

gone crazy Turbo Mopar Contributor J&H Ryan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    I really like LeBarons..if I had a "dream turbo mopar" it would be whatever year was the last to have a 2.5 turbo, and with every option possible....those are nice verts man..cruising at 25 psi with the top down sounds like a time
    I think you'd like my car then (link in sig)

I can't stand bad sellers. Oh well, you've saved her from a certain death and hopefully with its non-running condition you got her cheap.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by J&H Ryan View Post
    I think you'd like my car then (link in sig)

I can't stand bad sellers. Oh well, you've saved her from a certain death and hopefully with its non-running condition you got her cheap.
    You live in SE Michigan right? It's been like 10 years, but your username and that car look very familiar.

But no, unfortunately, I paid way too much for it. These are very rare down here compared to up north. This was the first J-Body turbo lebaron I've found within the state of Florida in 6 months.
    Last edited by EaZyE426; 09-07-2014 at 12:37 AM.

turbo addict

Yea I live in SE Michigan as well
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

I moved out of Michigan in March 2009, used to live in Clinton Township.

Just trying to remember who Ryan was.... it's been so long, lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast