Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HEP Melting

Mitsu booster

HEP Melting

Hey, so I just rebuilt my engine, only 65miles on it and since then 2 perfectly good Hall Effect Pickups have melted. They balloon up, and the wires get exposed a bit. This doesn't kill the car but in the range of 2-3k rpms it causes a bog or stutter (not everytime though). I am not sure why it is melting the HEPS and would like some suggestions if you have any.

turbo addict

Re: HEP Melting

Year, make, model? Engine bay pictures? OEM or aftermarket HEP? Is there a torch in the engine bay?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

That is quite odd. I've never had that happen at all.

Mitsu booster

85 omni converted to t2 with 87 electronics. First was aftermarket hep second was used mopar hep. Cant take pics right now, not home. There seems to be a small amount of oil sitting underneath the hep. Just enough to make the surface shine. Not sure where it came from.

EDIT : Just checked for torch, no torch found.

turbo addict

cant wait to see this

Mitsu booster

I just wanna drive my god damn car!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Speidz View Post
    I just wanna drive my god damn car!
    do you have a cellphone? take a pic and upload it if you want help faster

Mitsu booster

I said I wasn't home lol. Give me an hour.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

I can vouch for this, I saw and changed the first melted HEP last night.
    Zack texted me today telling me the new HEP melted too.
    He's running a MrGasket fan on the radiator. It moves more air than the stock fan and when I had my hands in there last night it was mighty hot.
    The scanner showed the coolant temp between 200º and 210º. The fan was cycling on and off so the fan circuit is working.
    Maybe the fan is moving too much hot air onto the distributor, causing the hep to overheat.
    Maybe there is air in the system which would cause excessive heat.

I've never had this issue with any of my cars. His is the first I have seen.
    Last edited by ajakeski; 08-14-2014 at 05:51 PM.

turbo addict

I live in AZ and temperature is 105 F normally in summer, and I run A/C all the time. I never had a melted HEP.

turbo addict

the hep a 8volt sensor right? is it getting 12?
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Wow, that's crazy. Engine and computer grounds intact? Check them and drive them with a high beam headlight to verify they work properly.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    the hep a 8volt sensor right? is it getting 12?
    the factory HEP sensor will work just fine on 12 volts no matter what- its a low current hall effect sensor so voltage wont up the current load in the circuit, the sensor will always put out a 5 volt signal on either 8 volts or 12 volts input.
    I've been running mine on 12 volts on 2 different megasquirt setups and never had an issue with the hep melting or even getting hot.

could be another problem like a badly worn rotor or distributor cap button not passing full current to the rotor and that definitely will create heat inside the distributor.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    Maybe the fan is moving too much hot air onto the distributor, causing the hep to overheat.
    is the plastic cover missing on his distributor? http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/f3PJ4HbPc8I/hqdefault.jpg

Garrett booster

Is that the purpose of that cover?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OG_SRT4 View Post
    Is that the purpose of that cover?
    I believe it's a splash guard. I've not run them on my cars for over a decade with only one problem. When my Shadow had a rotted out rad it would get too wet to run in an absolute torrential downpour. Once I installed a good rad the problem went away. It only happened 2-3 times anyway.

Garrett booster

I have mine installed but I've noticed idling probs after going thru a car wash, I wonder if water is shooting thru my rad.

Quote Originally Posted by OG_SRT4 View Post
    I have mine installed but I've noticed idling probs after going thru a car wash, I wonder if water is shooting thru my rad.
    I didn't secure one before on a Prelude and when I washed the car, it was grounding the spark inside the cap. It's probably allowing water to seep in even if securely fastened. The splash guard will help or eliminate the issue. As Cordes, I have run my car since I've owned all of them without the guard and not had any issues.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

My best guess is the bearing is bad in the distributor causing it to get super hot. 210 degree air coming in the from the radiator would not even phase it. Change out the distributor and see what happens.

Mitsu booster

So, we took off the 2nd HEP that I thought had failed. We cleaned the connectors on it, and then we went through the wires that plug into the HEP. We checked everything and it all seemed good. The female plugs for the HEP seemed dirty, we sprayed some cleaner on it. The car ran on the HEP I thought had failed. Then just again today it started bogging, I pulled over. Unplugged it, tried a brand new aftermarket HEP. The car wouldn't start with it on. We plugged the one that was bogging again back in. Car started and the problem went away. I'm thinking the connection must be bad. I won't know till the weekend though when I can work on it.

Let me know your thoughts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast