Thread: The heck is this?

turbo addict

The heck is this?

Playing around with my 89daytona, I found something out of place, never seen this before. I think its some kinda crankcases evac system.

weird eh, car still has PCV and EGR in place.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: The heck is this?

It's supplying fresh air to the cat. My Scamp had a system like that from the factory instead of an air pump. That diaphram looking piece in the middle is a one way check valve. The theory is: the pipe going into the exhaust acts like a venturi, as the exhaust gas passes, it creates a vaccum effect drawing fresh air from the air cleaner into the exhaust to help the cat burn the nasties in the exhaust. It works as the engine rpm rises. At idle, it doesn't generate enough flow, so the check valve is there to prevent sending exhaust gasses back into the air cleaner. As the rpm's go up, the vaccum opens the check valve, drawing fresh air into the system.

I eliminated mine when I installed the headers.

turbo addict

well this is new to me, ive had dozens of these cars and this is the first with this system, maybe people deleted them 20 years ago in this rusty climate.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Hybrid booster

Maybe only California cars had it?

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by RattFink View Post
    Maybe only California cars had it?
    It was actually really common on Canadian vehicles. Not so much in the US. I assumed my Scamp had it because it was considered a truck, and therefore had less stringent emmissions requirements. In fact, in my 83 service manual, I beleive it's listed as Canadian emmissions equipment. But my truck was built for the US.

In Cali, I believe all the carb cars got 6520 carbs & air pumps. Not sure on the turbo stuff. I know they didn't get air pumps, maybe this was added in it's place?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Ive had TBIs with a similar system but i dont remember it clearly enough to say if it was that exact system.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

My shadow had one of those (federal emissions)
    It was only used on manual transmission cars according to the service manual.

The funny thing is you can still buy that check valve and the steel tube but none of the aftermarket catalytic converters are even made anywhere close to the OEM originals to accept that air tube so you'll find as they get replaced (like in my case) that tube,check valve and hose get tossed.