Thread: Tbi roller cam in a 85 Ghead?

Tbi roller cam in a 85 Ghead?

I know its likely possible, but just wanted to ask anyhow. I know a ghead is a slider cam head. I take it the lifters, roller followers and roller cam need to be put in in place of the 85 slider cam, rockers and lifters? Is this a decent upgrade for a t2 converted 85 turbo motor? Or is it better with the stock 85 slider cam?

Re: Tbi roller cam in a 85 Ghead?

Absolutely, do it. Get modern. There's no downside to this.

Is there any kind of gains? I have little 8v experience. Ive had TIII and 16v masi motors only before. My first T2 motor build and of course its converting a t1 to T2 and trying to do it cheaply and get the most for what i spend, which this is a budget, borrowed parts junkyard build

turbo addict

Tom, lash adjusters are the same. The roller cams used a bit stiffer spring than the sliders. You can get away with a stiffer spring when running a roller cam because of it's hardness. Don't use the slider springs with the roller cam.
    Todd

Ok, i have a complete roller head, il use the springs from it also. Anything else?

well now i'm confused because i dont know what the numbers mean. I looked up a 85 turbo 2.2 camshaft spec using Rock auto. listing as follows

at .050 lobe lift

191 exh
    194 int
    113 degrees lobe separation

tbi cam 88-92

213 exh
    213 int
    110 degrees lobe separation

what does it mean? is it worth swapping to tbi roller or leave it turbo slider?

or just swap to turbo roller which apparently has the same specs as a turbo slider since i have all the parts. any downside to leaving it slider?
    Last edited by Xtrempickup; 08-06-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Hybrid booster

I swapped an 88 TBI cam into my old 85 T1 New Yorker and didn't change the springs. Just the cam and rockers. I noticed a small bump in power and it idled quite a bit smoother. I hadn't heard of different springs but if you have the later ones might as well use them also.
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

turbo addict

Tom, specs on TBI cam are wishful thinking. No way does it have 213 duration @.050. I have never seen ANY factory roller cams with 110 LSA either. Only sliders. FWD's big F4 cam doesn't even have 213 duration on both intake and exhaust @ .050. Either camshaft will work fine. Don't expect to feel much difference. Roller cams run a bit quieter. I personally would just run the stock slider if it is in good shape and you know it is a true turbo camshaft.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I'm a roller guy but that's me. I read something that the roller cams reduces friction on the cam by something like 150%, so its a win win. All you need is the cam and roller rockers, that's it.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mock_glh View Post
    Absolutely, do it. Get modern. There's no downside to this.
    Agreed, did this 20 years ago to one of my first S/C's, I believe it was an 85 and with MP ECU. Difference in idle quality was night and @ 15psi she was a tire smoker. The switch to roller really seemed to wake it up. I do seem to remember the slider we removed had some lob wear, but we never looked back after that. Everything we worked on went roller IF it didn't already have it. (can't even remember the last time I worked on a slider? lol)

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

I agree. Since going to a roller cam, I have struck gold in the Yukon and built my own rocket. Great things will happen to you, too!!!
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

I spoke to someone that ran 11.90 on tbi cam in one car and 13.80 in his van. Said its a nice cheap upgrade, swears by it. Guess doesnt hurt to try.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrempickup View Post
    I spoke to someone that ran 11.90 on tbi cam in one car and 13.80 in his van. Said its a nice cheap upgrade, swears by it. Guess doesnt hurt to try.
    Well I heard someone ran 10's on a stock turbo roller!
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Well picked up a 287 ghead today from the yard. Looks like im gonna convert to run on stock turbo roller cam. Couldnt be bothered to pull a tbi cam, was beat from 4 hrs stripping head from complete car.