1987-91 Daytona headlight diode

Date: 05th August 2014
    Username: martin kolner
    Full Name:
    [B]City, State, Zip: Tempe AZ 85282

#4400800 1987-91 Daytona Headlight diode

8 inches long 4 pin connector

25.00 each plus shipping

not sure why only the Daytona has these as the J Body Lebaron and the C bodies in the late 80s don't.

any ideas on the function of this part?

www.arizonaparts.com my contact info is at this site d

from Wikipedia..... diode:

The most common function of a diode is to allow an electric current to pass in one direction (called the diode's forward direction), while blocking current in the opposite direction (the reverse direction). Thus, the diode can be viewed as an electronic version of a check valve. This unidirectional behavior is called rectification, and is used to convert alternating current to direct current, including extraction of modulation from radio signals in radio receivers—these diodes are forms of rectifiers.

However, diodes can have more complicated behavior than this simple on–off action, due to their nonlinear current-voltage characteristics. Semiconductor diodes begin conducting electricity only if a certain threshold voltage or cut-in voltage is present in the forward direction (a state in which the diode is said to be forward-biased). The voltage drop across a forward-biased diode varies only a little with the current, and is a function of temperature; this effect can be used as a temperature sensor or voltage reference.

Semiconductor diodes' current–voltage characteristic can be tailored by varying the semiconductor materials and doping, introducing impurities into the materials. These are exploited in special-purpose diodes that perform many different functions. For example, diodes are used to regulate voltage (Zener diodes), to protect circuits from high voltage surges (avalanche diodes), to electronically tune radio and TV receivers (varactor diodes), to generate radio frequency oscillations (tunnel diodes, Gunn diodes, IMPATT diodes), and to produce light (light emitting diodes). Tunnel diodes exhibit negative resistance, which makes them useful in some types of circuits.

turbo addict

Re: 1987-91 Daytona headlight diode

I think it has to do with the optional fog lights. They were only supposed to work when the low-beams were on, so if the diodes weren't there it might be possible for the system to still power the fog lights when the high-beams are on. I'd have to look at a wiring diagram, but that's my bet.

then if the car did not have fog lamps, then these would not be in place....as it would cost extra to put them into every car.

turbo addict

this makes sence ^ - unless it had something to do with the early 4 wire vs late 2 wire headlamp motors in the daytonas

I've had a few 87's but never scene this part in any of them - but they didn't have foglights either

turbo addict

My '88 has (well, had) them. They are buried in the harness up at the front of the car all taped up. My car did not come with headlights. I'm fairly certain I've taken a few other engine bay harnesses apart in the past that had them as well. I'm pretty much a Daytona guy, so I can't say for certain that it is specific to only G-bodies.

As far as having extra stuff in the harness, back in the days these were built the harnesses commonly had provisions for options that weren't on the car. Hence why you can add 12-button navigators to Shelby Z's, or the slave CD players, etc. Now after 1990 they started getting more vehicle option specific. Even still, there are usually still provisions somewhere for the options not present, if only in plugs.

turbo addict

I find there are typically 2 levels of body harness, one with options and one without. high and low line.

turbo cars always have the "highline" loaded harness, even base models.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Just checked the 87 and 91 part books and there are no differences in the wiring for the front end or engine as far as fog lamps.