Thread: '85 TI to TII questions

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

'85 TI to TII questions

OK, I have looked online and on this forum regarding this subject, which has been well covered in the past. Problem is, a lot has progressed in the last 10 years and most TI-TII conversion sites are quite old.

I'm looking at converting my '86 GLH Turbo to TII. Currently it is using '85 electronics and TI motor with G-head pistons and cylinder head, and '85 TI logic module.

1. If I convert to TII, would it be best to run the GLHS LM, or use the CSX/Shelby Lancer/Daytona TII LM? Reason I ask is because it sure sounds like any/all developement on GLHS electronics is dead and I would be very limited. I'm thinking I may eventually want a cal from BoostButton.

2. As far as the wiring, is it true all I have to do is (A.)relocate the MAP sensor, (B.)convert the TPS and AIS plugs, and (C.) run two additional wires to the LM for the newer AIS? (D.) upgrade to '86 short/fat distributor and HEP. What about the wiring for the Baro-read solenoid? I seem to recall something about moving a couple pins on one of the LM connectors, but it's been a long time since I've given this much thought.

3. Anybody know where to source a GLHS lower radiator hose? If I do this it will be a GLHS radiator/Mopar S60 intercooler setup.

4. If I do this it will be a G-head/piston engine ('85). Can BoostButton do a LM TII tune for 2.2L/G-head setup?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Re: '85 TI to TII questions

Since there is more support for the SMEC you might consider doing what I did: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...car&highlight=. I've also done some changes that aren't in that write-up so PM me if you decide to do what I did.

I think a vender/member called "Omnipotent" makes the lower hose since it's discontinued.

Hybrid booster

development on GLHS cals is pretty well dead for sure. way back before Rob started putting cals out there, I started modding my own GLHS module on my first gen G-body (with a 2.5, weren't any cals publicized at that point). I didn't have a complete disassembly, but got far enough to push the stock setup...found from talking with a few members that there was very little interest when I mentioned it, EVERYONE would always say "why not get the later module?" I eventually switched to the later LM. Later, Rob put out his GLHS version, which I believe to this point no one offered to do any testing on.

you've got most of it right - AIS & TPS wiring, etc. I kept my MAP with the LM, didn't want to bother with moving it, that was where the pin wiring gets moved...MAP power and signal, and speed sensor are in different pin locations. swap those pins out on the LM harness and you can use a late LM...don't trust what you find in the search for the wiring switch - there is an old post where (I believe) GLHSKen quoted the instructions from elsewhere and two of the pins were transposed. if you look at the different module pin layouts on minimopar or whatever wiring diagrams you have, you should be able to switch properly. not a big deal to move the pins, might be 10 minutes worth of effort.

I never bothered to try Rob's GLHS cal, I'm sure I still have a couple GLHS LM's around somewhere, if I had the time. back when I spoke up saying I had a streetable GLHS 3-bar, some called BS. I wasn't the only one to do it, and if you dig hard enough there's info out there beyond Rob's version. wouldn't be much point in running it beyond nostalgia or that is the only LM you have immediate access to. if you are going to DIY, you can definitely get results from either LM, although the later chips are faster. from all the research I've done over the years, I don't think I'd be doing my first DIY cal on a G-head (if that is the case, I don't know your experience). I would definitely look to Rob to set you up before I considered messing with it. on a swirl head, I'd say give it a shot. if you aren't familiar with the timing differences, not worth chancing it.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Go 87 TII and don't look back unless the wiring is in bad shape. You've got the conversion nailed except you don't need to do anything special for the baro solenoid .

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Since there is more support for the SMEC you might consider doing what I did: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...car&highlight=. I've also done some changes that aren't in that write-up so PM me if you decide to do what I did.

I think a vender/member called "Omnipotent" makes the lower hose since it's discontinued.
    Wow, very cool and innovate approach. I could convert back to SMEC as I have a converted '89 Caravan harness I made for the car years ago. But I rather like having stock wiring back underhood. I'll still have to get a custom cal done anyways because of the G-head combo.

turbo addict

Go at least 87 TII or SMEC.

http://fwdmopar.50megs.com/T2conv.html

Worked for me.

There is ONE thing to keep in mind.

87 LM turbo computer is getting rare.

88/89 SMEC turbo computer is much easier to get a hold of.

Though, the 87 LM never went bad on my GLH. I have at least a couple of SMEC went bad on me on my Daytona and CSX and I know AJ had a few SMEC went bad on him too.

So... pick your poison.
    Last edited by tryingbe; 08-03-2014 at 08:05 PM.

turbo addict

Jeremy I like the 87 T2 wiring setup I did on my GLH years ago. I think it's the bare minimum you need to go now days if you want any custom cal support and it's not much harder than using a GLHS LM. You do have to relocate wiring at the LM but I think you have to do that to go from 85 to 86 wiring anyway. Look at the pinouts on minimopar.net to be sure. The wiring for the 85 baro solenoid plugs into the 87 underhood map/baro setup.