Thread: Late model water pump on '85 Turbo engine

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Late model water pump on '85 Turbo engine

OK, I thought I had this figured out, but sometimes I turn out to be wrong so here goes...

I recently built an '85 TI engine for my Omni GLH Turbo. I used an '89 water pump with the smooth pulley and common block belt setup/routing. I also used a ND alternator for whatever it's worth.

Everything seemed OK and the car was running great and not overheating. I started to get a chirping noise after about 100 miles and apparently it threw the belt and overheated while my brother was driving it.

I had made sure to use a straight edge to align the alternator pulley with the water pump and adjusted the little steel sleeve on the alternator pivot so that all seemed good. The belt alignment seemed very straight to me. Anything wrong with this setup? Perhaps I overlooked something?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Late model water pump on '85 Turbo engine

I had problems with my shadow back when. The pulley on the water pump had some corrosion on it. As the belt would eat that away it would get loose and slip. I think the corrosion also tore up the belt. I ate a few belts before they cleaned the pulley enough to not have problems. I also started using a little thread locker on the shaft that adjusts the tension of the alt.

All of that has nothing to do with your original question except for the fact that it was a CB WP. That being said, I've run the same combination you listed on my Omni for years with no trouble.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Thanks cordes. I went over and looked at the car tonight. As it turns out, the bolt that secures the tensioner bracket to the alternator rattled loose and also the nut/washer on the end of the long pivot bolt also came loose. At that point it spit the belt out and overheated.

I chalk this up to being my fault. I kept really good notes and followed the FSM exactly while building the long block, but must have gotten in a hurry while finishing up everything after the engine was in the car. Unfortunately I found a receipt lying on the front seat for my older brother having to tow the car home last night, so I offered to pay for that since it was my fault.

It is all fixed up now. I used blue loctite on those bolts this time. With MP motor mounts and PB.com alternator bushings, I guess I am not too surprised. This probably explains the belt chirp I was getting after about 100 miles I suppose.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

My shadow would really shred the belts if I let it squeak for too long. I usually carry an extra accessory drive belt due to that car acting up. I've used them more than once too.