Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's this dimple on the flywheel for?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Re: What's this dimple on the flywheel for?

Well I think that's kind of lame, but if that's what you think, that's what you think. I use industry standards when ever talking about cam timing and don't make up stuff to try and prove a point.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    Well I think that's kind of lame, but if that's what you think, that's what you think. I use industry standards when ever talking about cam timing and don't make up stuff to try and prove a point.

Thanks
    Randy
    Yeah, if you work in the industry I can see how it would be frustrating to deal with regular people when it comes to cams. There is a ton to know about them. Lord knows I could read several books on the subject and only begin to know the half of it. I just don't see it as making things up though. Even in Milliken's book about vehicle and racecar dynamics they discuss a couple of industry standards which aren't convenient for analysis or are contrary to the way they do it in aviation. I've always thought that people were referring to the position of the crank or cam relative to where it should be.

You should make a youtube video calling out people who say that their cam timing is 180* out. I bet it would get a lot of hits and cause a lot of arguments which would generate some money for your pocket. I just checked and there isn't one out there yet. It seems like we could have just picked a random link off of the internet to find the same discussion hashed out on just about every car forum out there. That would have saved everyone a lot of time.

Are you saying the cam can be out 180 deg??

Thanks
    Randy

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    89 Turbo Minivan
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    Are you saying the cam can be out 180 deg??

Thanks
    Randy
    Please tell me you're joking?

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

WOW.....this escalated quickly. Damn you Brian for seeing things in a different way!!!

Randy just for kicks, I'll explain. He is saying the cam can be 180* out just looking at where it is supposed to point at factory wise. Not saying it is out in relation to the crank. We all know what you are saying.
    In other words, If the alignment mark is supposed to point at 0*, yet you have it pointing down at 180*, it is considered 180* out. Again, not referring to the crank.
    I also agree it really doesn't matter if your not timing the engine, but he is correct.

Not trying to argue with anyone. Just another view to see if it helps.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Hybrid booster

I was referring to the crank. And I understand both sides of the argument. When the cam is installed correctly, it cannot be 180 degrees out unless the crank is timed at any position other than TDC or BDC. i retract my statement, I an man enough to admit when I am wrong. But I also understand what Cordes said, IF the cam is timed incorrectly, it CAN be 180 degrees out. But for all intensive purposes, if the crank is timed at BDC/TDC and the cam is timed correctly, then no, only 90 degrees out.

Quote Originally Posted by turismolover22 View Post
    I was referring to the crank. And I understand both sides of the argument. When the cam is installed correctly, it cannot be 180 degrees out unless the crank is timed at any position other than TDC or BDC. i retract my statement, I an man enough to admit when I am wrong. But I also understand what Cordes said, IF the cam is timed incorrectly, it CAN be 180 degrees out. But for all intensive purposes, if the crank is timed at BDC/TDC and the cam is timed correctly, then no, only 90 degrees out.
    Intensive purposes? You're just trying to take this up a notch now! lol.

Hybrid booster

Lol nah, just trying to make myself clear on how I am in agreement with both of you, and how you cant have both unless someone did something seriously wrong. No TU tent fight today, my friend.

Lol nah, just trying to make myself clear on how I am in agreement with both of you, and how you cant have both unless someone did something seriously wrong. No TU tent fight today, my friend.
    Sorry. It was a joke. It's a common mistake to use intensive. So common that it's not really worth mentioning, but I thought the irony of a small difference like that was fitting to the thread. The saying is actually intents and purposes.

High class response turismolover22.!!

As were all here to learn, and share, I appreciate all the sincere, non condescending comments. The O.P. posed a valid question and received a valid answer.

Just to clarify my position, the cam timing can not be out 180 deg. Each time the crank reaches TDC, the cam dot alternates, up, then, down. Every 360 deg, the crank rotates, the cam rotates 180 deg, that's why the cam timing can not be out 180 deg.

If the crank is at TDC, and the cam dot is straight up or down, the engine will run properly, as long as the distributor is phased accordingly.

If the crank is at BDC, and the cam dot either up or down, the engine will not run, no matter how the distributor is phased.

If, for some reason, one wanted to time the cam at BDC, the cam dot would have to be at 90 deg., either side, and the cam phased accordingly.

As the original question concerned TDC and BDC marks on the flywheel, I feel my comment is valid, and was offered to help anyone who has ever heard the urban legend, "the cam is 180 deg. out."

Thanks
    Randy

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    89 Turbo Minivan
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Sorry. It was a joke. It's a common mistake to use intensive. So common that it's not really worth mentioning, but I thought the irony of a small difference like that was fitting to the thread. The saying is actually intents and purposes.
    All good, my man. We all live in tents with porpoises lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12