Thread: NHRA helmet requirements

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Question NHRA helmet requirements

OK, this may be a dumb question to those of you who have been racing, but I'm going to ask anyway. The Hoosier SDAC chapter is doing a test and tune drag night Aug. 8th at Muncie Dragway. I've been told NHRA safety rules will apply. I'm a little confused by that. If I'm reading the rules correctly, as long as I'm slower than a 13.99, I don't need a helmet. Am I correct? I'm pretty sure the Scamp isn't that quick(since it's not a turbo), but I don't want to get down there and be told I can't run because I don't have a helmet. I've never drag raced before, but always wanted to, so I'm a complete noobie at this... Who knows, maybe I'll get hooked and have to get a little more serious about it...

Thanks in advance for the info.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: NHRA helmet requirements

Call the track and verify. It can vary. For example, New Jersey law mandates that all participants use a helmet, regardless of NHRA rules or the vehicle's speed.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Call the track and verify. It can vary. For example, New Jersey law mandates that all participants use a helmet, regardless of NHRA rules or the vehicle's speed.
    You can't pump your gas there either right? What a bunch of ninnies.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    You can't pump your gas there either right? What a bunch of ninnies.
    You are correct. There's a reason why all the toll bridges to New Jersey from Pennsylvania are arranged so that it is free to enter NJ, but you must pay to get out.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

If you're using street tires, you probably won't break 13.99. Never mind on the 2.2 n/a you have.

My Daytona ran a 14.3 @ 98mph
    My Omni ran a 14.2 @ 102mph
    My CSX ran a 14.3 @ 99.7mph

All on street tires with 2.3-2.5 60 ft.
    Daytona and omni have a 2.5 turbo and ran 20psi +
    CSX had a 2.2 and ran 12psi.

Mitsu booster

I have run at Muncie dragway on numerous occasions. My SRT6 convertible was a mid 12second car plus a convertible which both would require a helmet. I never wore a helmet and they never kicked me out. That isn't to say that they won't kick you out, but I don't think your vehicle will be anywhere close to a 13 second pass.

Quote Originally Posted by xfiresrt View Post
    I have run at Muncie dragway on numerous occasions. My SRT6 convertible was a mid 12second car plus a convertible which both would require a helmet. I never wore a helmet and they never kicked me out. That isn't to say that they won't kick you out, but I don't think your vehicle will be anywhere close to a 13 second pass.

I'm sure I'm nowhere near 13.99. I looked it up, and a stock 83-84 Shelby Charger was supposedly good for a 15 second quarter. My 2.2 is healthier than a stock Shelby set-up, but nowhere near what is posted above. I'm hoping I'm OK. I just hate to put money in a helmet I'll only use once a year...

Thanks for the info...

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xfiresrt View Post
    I believe anything faster than a 14.0 and you're technically supposed to have at least a roll bar in a vert.

For the original question, slower than a 13.99 and you definitely don't need a helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I believe anything faster than a 14.0 and you're technically supposed to have at least a roll bar in a vert.

For the original question, slower than a 13.99 and you definitely don't need a helmet.

Thanks,

I'm goin for the fun of it. Gives me something new to try. I've been curious for a long time what the Scamp would actually do in the 1/4, so I guess I'll find out...

I'm running street tires, so I'm guessing lots of wheel spin, and probably lousey R/T's and final times, but hey, I have to learn sometime...

turbo addict

At most tracks you'd be just fine borrowing a friend's helmet and using it. Heck, I always wear a helmet racing at the area 1/8 mile track even when I raced the GLHT and it was embarassingly slow for a turbo car. My helmet is just an old motorcycle-style helmet that recently expired but my local track doesn't check much beyond it appearing in good condition and being full-faced.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict

If you buy a new one, get a 2010.

You will feel quite foolish wearing one when you don't need it. I ran an 18 second pass at 49mph or so two weeks ago and I felt like taking it off my helmet before I crossed through the traps.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Thanks for all the replies guys. After thinking about it a little, I realized I have a friend with a 10 sec, 64 Plymouth Super Stock car that runs down there regularly. So I called him. He says Muncie doesn't require a helmet unless you are faster than 11.99. So I know I'm well above that mark... I'm expecting 15-16 second passes, we'll see next week... I may be severely disappointed....