Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zero compression #2 cylinder

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Zero compression #2 cylinder

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    i just had a vehicle come in today with ZERO compression, ecotec chevy caviler, compression was 68-56-47-0, when i pulled the valve cover the timing chain was broken, the only cyl that had ZERO compression was the one with no intake or exhaust flow escaping... even the ones that had valves open made some sort of compression.

i have never gotten to check the compression on a vehicle with a missing piston crown, but i have with large holes from detonation to foreign objects, and they still made compression. my SC still made 92 psi of compression and the 4th cyl head gasket was so bad that i could watch each firing event purge from the radiator fill, and it literally looked like a steam engine.
    Fascinating these infernal combustion engines. I can't imagine what I'll find when I pull the head this weekend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

Update: got the head off and the exhaust valve is missing about a fourth of the head. Cylinder and piston look fine. Nothing is beat up , even that chamber. Question, would it hurt to ball hone the cylinders again in the two that haven't seated yet from the rebuild?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I just came down with the same problem on my recently rebuilt Omni GLH Turbo. Car overheated badly and now has zero compression on #2. I was about to start another thread, but this one serves as a pretty good roadmap on what to check next. I just hope it's not a broken piston.

turbo addict

a forth of the valve is missing you say? wonder its in the turbo or cat?
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    a forth of the valve is missing you say? wonder its in the turbo or cat?
    The turbo s fine. No sign of any damage. The pieces just went right through so I guess it's in the down pipe before the cat. The question, of course, is what caused a stainless aftermarket +1 valve to fail like that.

Any thoughts on the re-hone question?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    The question, of course, is what caused a stainless aftermarket +1 valve to fail like that.
    - - - Updated - - -

A machine shop here in Germany really screwed up the valve job and the valve faces are thin. I'm kind of expecting part of the exhaust valve to be gone. This is happening at a really bad time, because I'm getting ready to ship the car back to the states next month. Awkward. Emmission test is going to be a challenge on three cylinders, so it looks like it's coming apart again before it ships.

Did the machine shop touch the valves? If so, you have your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Did the machine shop touch the valves? If so, you have your answer.
    Yes, my thought also. I guess they ground them thin so it tuliped. Bummer. It'll probably need new seats as well as new valves since it's already opened to +1. Sacrilege to a Menegon head!

turbo addict

You can do the +1 with a stock seat you may want to verify

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    You can do the +1 with a stock seat you may want to verify
    The butchers that ground the valves too thin also sank the seats too deep I'm afraid.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Going lean with do the same damage, ask me how I know,

Also, take off the turbine housing and inspect the wheel, guaranteed its damaged, the inducer is the one that takes the hit but you can't see that until you remove the housing.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I'm building up my spare Menegon head (thanks Steve!) now, but I'm going back with a TU Super 70 and a .48 turbine housing. I'm tired of the hybrid lag. My rings hadn't completely seated even after 2000 miles, so while it's apart I'm going to put new iron ITM second compression rings and oil rings in, but keep the steel top rings from the existing set.

Scrap plan "A". I took the .63 housing off of the S 70 to put the .48 on and see that the turbine has been clipped. So, I will be using my S60 with a .48 instead. Why would anyone clip a turbine!? Oh bother.

Why clip, cheaper version of going to a larger A/R housing. You shouldn't have lag with a stage II 50 trim?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    Why clip, cheaper version of going to a larger A/R housing. You shouldn't have lag with a stage II 50 trim?
    Too much for my purposes. The hybrid doesn't have full boost until 3500 rpm. BTW I pulled the turbine housing in the hybrid and there is no damage at all. That piece of valve somehow limboed through the entire exhaust tract without hitting anything important!
    Latest hitch is that two intake bolt holes have stripped on the new head, so it's heli-coil time.

I'm glad I still have my trusty S60. It gives full boost at 2800 with the .63, so the .48 should make it very responsive.
    Last edited by John B; 08-10-2014 at 03:28 AM.

Too much for my purposes. The hybrid doesn't have full boost until 3500 rpm. BTW I pulled the turbine housing in the hybrid and there is no damage at all. That piece of valve somehow limboed through the entire exhaust tract without hitting anything important!
    Latest hitch is that two intake bolt holes have stripped on the new head, so it's heli-coil time.
    Damn, go buy a lottery ticket.

I'm glad I still have my trusty S60. It gives full boost at 2800 with the .63, so the .48 should make it very responsive.
    Yeah, that's great for a street car with no or limited track duty.

turbo addict

The clipped turbine is probably responsible for the poor response you were getting.

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    The clipped turbine is probably responsible for the poor response you were getting.
    I was using the hybrid which is not clipped. It's the S70 I was going to put on that is clipped.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

2800 is damn good, my stock Garrett hardly spools that quick! Of course, a ported head helps too Mine is stock head/valvetrain still...
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

I was using the hybrid which is not clipped. It's the S70 I was going to put on that is clipped.
    im running an s70 now...thats the gn comp wheel and housing with a stage 2 turbine and I love the combo. Its on a 2.5 and comes on quick I dont have a tach but guessing in the 2800 to 3000 range.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast