Thread: Mopar performance stage 2

Garrett booster

Mopar performance stage 2

The 87 charger I'm picking up tonite has a mopar performance stage 2 logic module/computer in it. How does it compare to the fwd performance 86/87 glhs stage 3? I found the fwd performance one in my parts bin, among other goodies!
    Among other items to note; glhs intercooler/radiator/ fan setup with l brackets, npr intercooler, 2 stock intercoolers, glh side ground effects, glh grill, t2 injectors etc lol
    thanks,
    brian

boostaholic

Re: Mopar performance stage 2

I would buy the FWD Stage 3 if u want to sell it

- - - Updated - - -

I would buy the FWD Stage 3 if u want to sell it

Garrett booster

Not looking to sell, yet. I'm looking to see which one would be better. If i do sell it, you can have first shot at it.

- - - Updated - - -

Not looking to sell, yet. I'm looking to see which one would be better. If i do sell it, you can have first shot at it.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

It depends. When was the FWD cal made? You may be able to call Cindy to find out more about it. I doubt there is a ton of difference between the two, but you never know.

turbo addict

There isn't going to be anyway to compare the mopar performance stage 2 logic module and the FWD Stage 3 as FWD Stage 3 is a closed source computer.

With MP stage 2, you can actually download the cal and use MPtune to open the cal and compare it with other factory cals. You can't do that with FWD stage 3.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    There isn't going to be anyway to compare the mopar performance stage 2 logic module and the FWD Stage 3 as FWD Stage 3 is a closed source computer.

With MP stage 2, you can actually download the cal and use MPtune to open the cal and compare it with other factory cals. You can't do that with FWD stage 3.
    So I could potentially change the tune on the mp?

- - - Updated - - -

That's not entirely true. If you still have a copy of D-cal you can extract your bin from the FWD call and then cross identify with one of the last known decent table files that are out there. Then you can compare that file in D-cal with the stuff in MP tune. You'll be able to check out the most pertanent aspects of the cal and go from there. I used my FWD stg5 Cal that I had in my Shadow to tune a 40+MPG cal for the car. All I really did to it was change the timing to stock 2.5 TI and then up it in vac some. Other than that it was the stg5 cal. That's why I wish there was still some support for that kind of stuff. I love what that FWD cal ended up being.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not entirely true. If you still have a copy of D-cal you can extract your bin from the FWD call and then cross identify with one of the last known decent table files that are out there. Then you can compare that file in D-cal with the stuff in MP tune. You'll be able to check out the most pertanent aspects of the cal and go from there. I used my FWD stg5 Cal that I had in my Shadow to tune a 40+MPG cal for the car. All I really did to it was change the timing to stock 2.5 TI and then up it in vac some. Other than that it was the stg5 cal. That's why I wish there was still some support for that kind of stuff. I love what that FWD cal ended up being.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by bm_zimmer View Post

- - - Updated - - -
    I think the blue was stage II..., I don't remember.

- - - Updated - - -

You can download the MPtune compatible StgII file and change anything you want.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

You can download the MPtune compatible StgII file and change anything you want.

Hybrid booster

not everyone knows the MP stage II has relaxed overboost - I can't remember exactly, 7 seconds or so I believe...in other words, you can throw a g-valve on the wastegate line and as long as you don't stay in it too long, you have S3 levels of boost (if I remember, 18 psi?).

Quote Originally Posted by x.Gen View Post
    not everyone knows the MP stage II has relaxed overboost - I can't remember exactly, 7 seconds or so I believe...in other words, you can throw a g-valve on the wastegate line and as long as you don't stay in it too long, you have S3 levels of boost (if I remember, 18 psi?).
    If my memory serves I believe that is true regarding the GLHS stgII LM cals. They also do an amazing job with +20s and stock FP compared to some of the other cals.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by x.Gen View Post
    If my memory serves I believe that is true regarding the GLHS stgII LM cals. They also do an amazing job with +20s and stock FP compared to some of the other cals.

Hybrid booster

yes, referring to the GLHS module...ran mine that way (g-valve) with +20's for quite some time. that cal already in an L-body or 1st gen G, on a stock drivetrain - I would say keep it until upgrading the trans or the block; I can't speak from experience on an S3 cal. I was more than happy with the MP cal until I got a common block and an ostrich. well behaved cal for a daily driver but still enough to push plenty when you want.

Garrett booster

I'll tinker with them both for a bit to see which one I like the best. I have a lot of work to do though. The car is mostly stock except for the turbo (t2) and intercooler. I appreciate the responses and I'll keep you updated on what I find out.