Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GLH Turbo lives again

boostaholic

Re: GLH Turbo lives again

My STI with 3500 miles had 125 cold on all four when I got it checked because I thought I broke a ring land.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Just received word from the local machine shop that the head is toast. It is cracked and lots of bad valves/guides. The owner told me it is not salvageable at all. Time for Plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Just received word from the local machine shop that the head is toast. It is cracked and lots of bad valves/guides. The owner told me it is not salvageable at all. Time for Plan B.
    Man, that sucks to hear. I'm sure you have a few spares, but the time, cost, effort to take care of that is not desired for sure. Will you post pics of the head when you get it back? I'd like to see what all happened to it. I wonder if the cracks are the ones between the valves? That's not desired, but not uncommon, as you may know.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hey Jon, the owner told me it was cracked in an unusual place, up near the top by the cam bores.

I have a swirl head or two here but no G-heads lying around. I have a lead on a nice one though..

Ironically I may get the car back together even faster with the new head since I won't have to wait for machine shop down time.

I have a G head that experienced a catastrophic event. I need to get it checked and fixed so I can sell it. It was a nice head when I used it, bent a valve when the piston separated from the rod and disintegrated when it hit the chamber. Hoping it's just cosmetic, but realistically I'm expecting it will need to be decked.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

I'm getting pretty close to having the car back together finally. I got the old G-head back from the machine shop and sure enough it was cracked up top near the lifter bore all the way down to the valve guide. Yikes!! The Felpro head gasket held up great despite the major overheat and still looked brand new..

I now have the whole top end reassembled and waiting to go back on the car. I decided to keep the car 'log' TI for now since I'd like to get this finished up and move onto getting my Shelby Lancer going again. I bought a NICE rebuilt G-head from Todd (4 l-bodies) to replace the cracked head. It has some very minor work done to it but nothing major so it should be perfect for my needs.

Other than that, I did some tweaks to the heim joint shifter (also from Todd), replaced the 195'F thermostat with a 180'F unit, and recovered the front engine harness with new split loom and friction tape. I also sent a set of stock injectors to Mr Injector to have serviced to replace the new set of injectors I got from Rock Auto. The overheating episode was bad enough that one of the pintle caps on #2 injector was partially melted! I have a hunch it was because the #2 exhaust valve was stuck open, rather than from simply overheating.

Top half of the engine is now installed thanks to my trusty local turbo mopar friends (sl3196 and tman1999). Thanks guys.

I just got done reinstalling the valve cover and am about to go do the timing belt and front accessory bracket and probably the alternator.

I'm hoping to get my fuel injectors back late this week and take a drive through Spearfish Canyon in South Dakota as a shakedown run to make sure everything is all OK before handing it back over to my older brother Dan who now owns the car. Unfortunately I'm having a hard time taking pictures because my Sony Cybershot camera died and my iPhone 3GS sucks at taking pictures. I need a new camera and a web hosting service.

turbo addict

Anywhere near Spearfish is a beautiful drive; I'm a bit jealous as I haven't been out there in 20 years. I hope all goes well and you enjoy the test drive.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Freaking loved Spearfish. Needles had a lot more aggressiveness in the turns though.

Needles? Where is that?

I'm really looking forward to having a run through Spearfish Canyon soon. The Omni suspension/chassis is fairly 'built' so it should be pretty fun despite the log TI power. It's gotta be beautiful about this time of year especially since it's prime time for the fall color change. Might even hit up Mount Rushmore if everything seems OK. I haven't been there since I was a little kid.

Needles is the rock formation right in the middle of Custer National Park. Needles Highway is the road that goes through it. It was the second most amazing scenery I saw on our trip to South Dakota last year, with the first being our jump over to Devil's Tower. Spearfish was a very close third though. Can't wait to get back up to that area.

Dang can't believe I haven't heard of that. I will have to look into that for sure!

I have been to Devil's Tower many many times as it's basically right next door to Gillette. I'm surprised you found it more 'scenic' than Spearfish Canyon but I've lived here for most of my life so..

There is a wooden park bench on the walking path around Devil's Tower that still has me and my brother's names carved in it from the early 80s! I've never climbed DT, but have climbed all over the rocks and boulder field quite a few times all the way up to the point it goes vertical (well above the trees).

Yeah the drive to and from was kinda bleh, but I was more talking about the walk around. We climbed on the rocks for a ways too, but didn't go quite that high because we had our (at the time) 8 year old daughter with us.

I just FINALLY got the Omni GLH Turbo running again this afternoon. This time, it has a cylinder head from Todd Nelson

After making sure the engine oil system was primed, I started it up. I was really worried that the overheating episode that this engine experienced might have damaged a piston. I was very relieved to find that the car idled beautifully, no smoke/smells, and no leaks!

So after a couple heat cycles (radiator fan on/off), I reset the ignition timing to 12' BTDC. Then I took it for a ride.

Holy crap the car runs great! With only 10 psi (via grainger valve) it has no problem pulling the tires loose at WOT in 2nd gear!! Definitely making more power than before!

I could not be happier than I am right now with this car. I used to have a high miles 'junkyard' 2.5L common block, TII top end, NPR intercooler, and 14 psi of boost in this car and it somehow feels even faster than ever before despite being a plain old log TI with no intercooler. Thanks Todd. I don't understand what you do to those heads but it works.

turbo addict

Nice to hear.

I have the car back for a few days and WOW! Holy crap is this thing fun to drive! I'm feeling some serious GLH Turbo withdrawals.

Gotta fix a squeaky belt, hopefully a door handle (go figure..) and a few other things.

With only a 'log' TI motor, 3" exhaust, grainger valve (10 psi @ WOT), and a rebuilt AWESOME cylinder head this thing just rips! It is so easy to throw this car around and "point and shoot" unlike my CSRT. So much more fun. Spinning the Kumho AST tires through 2nd is too easy. 3rd gear is the the funnest part when it hooks up.

boostaholic

who did the head and are they still building heads?

The cylinder head (a G-head) is from Todd Nelson. Very happy I picked it up from him.

I asked about getting a good Swirl head from him recently, but unfortunately it sounds like I'll have to get in line..

boostaholic

What is Todd Nelson's screen name?

Todd is "4 l-bodies" here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast