Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GLH Turbo lives again

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

GLH Turbo lives again

I FINALLY got my '86 GLH Turbo running again!!

It started right up and sounds great. Good oil pressure, good vacuum, no leaks etc. Hell yeah!!!

Some of you might remember I used to have an '89 2.5L TI engine with a big NPR intercooler in it, but I decided to go back to stock with it. It now has an '85 2.2L TI engine in it and I couldn't be happier with it. It has a new set of Clevite +.030" pistons, all new bearings, rings, seals etc. that I rebuilt in our shop at work last fall on my vacation time.

I have it set at 10 psi boost right now on the good 'ol log TI engine with a stock '85 TI logic module and I'm very pleased with it. I almost forgot how much fun it is to drive! Back in '04 I had rebuilt the entire suspension/chassis with all new parts, but blew a piston out racing an STI shortly thereafter. It handles far better than my Caliber SRT-4 even (yeah, big surprise).

I'm a bit bummed because I'm selling it to my older brother though. Still need to fix door handles and get the E-brake working since I put rear discs on it. So excited after putting ~50 miles on it yesterday which is the first I've driven the car in 8 years!!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: GLH Turbo lives again

Glad to hear that it is up and running. It always feels good when you get one back on the road after a long time.

Yup. Shelby Lancer is next. That will be easy compared to the GLH though...Bringing a car back from the dead after that long is no easy task.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Sounds good. How does it look?

Will post pics soon. I'm so excited about it right now I couldn't help but post on the nervous breakthrough.

Dang, I was about to post some pics but I unfortunately let my membership expire.

Subscribed to T-M.com...

Here is an old pic of the underhood with the '89 Turbo I/Turbo II setup and big NPR intercooler with a bunch of piping/BOV etc from ATP Turbo. Sure was fun in my old pizza delivery days. Just point and shoot!

Attachment 51185

- - - Updated - - -

Here is is today. I LOVE the wrinkle brown btw...

Attachment 51186Attachment 51187Attachment 51188Attachment 51189Attachment 51190Attachment 51191Attachment 51192

turbo addict

E-brake is really easy to setup using stock 85 e-brake cables and 89+ disc/drum rear brakes. Just feed the cable thru!

turbo addict

Good to hear Jeremy. Is this the black/tan GLHT? The one with the log motor you've been working on for a while? Why sell it now that you can enjoy it?
    Todd

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Nice job, looks good!

Glad to hear it's running Jeremy! I like the brown for some reason, maybe because it's not seen a lot. Get working on the Lancer now!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    E-brake is really easy to setup using stock 85 e-brake cables and 89+ disc/drum rear brakes. Just feed the cable thru!
    I was hoping it would be easy. The rear brakes are the 11" vented setup from a Spirit R/T, but the internal drum E-brake should be the same. I did convert an '84 Reliant to rear discs and it wasn't too hard to get the E-brake working in that so this shouldn't be too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Good to hear Jeremy. Is this the black/tan GLHT? The one with the log motor you've been working on for a while? Why sell it now that you can enjoy it?
    Todd
    Yup, it's the black/tan GLHT that I bought back in 2003. I am not excited about selling it, but I'm getting more heat from the management where I live/work about having too many cars. Thankfully the car is staying in the family. Even with the lowly TI engine, it is such a blast to drive. Thanks for selling me that TI turbo coolant return line btw!

Here is a picture of the suspension/chassis that I built for the car way back when. Still handles like it's on rails.

Attachment 51219

Car is now sold. It sure was sad to see it drive away, but it will still be around. It was nice to get an envelope with $2k in it though. Older brother Dan seems to love the car which is nice. He has the best warranty ever of course!

The car will mostly see highway driving out to Arch Coal as he wants to use it as a fuel efficient daily driver and keep the miles off his new Xterra because of the long commute.

Unfortunate update.

On the very first night that my older brother took possession of the car, it overheated badly. Basically what happened is that one nut (alt pivot bolt) and one bolt (alt tensioner) vibrated loose while the car ran, which then kicked the alt/H20 belt off and caused overheating. My brother had no idea this happened until the battery died and the car stalled out and had to have it towed home...

I fixed the alternator up and installed a new belt. It was 1-2 quarts low on coolant, so I topped it off. Engine oil still looks new. Coolant looks fine with no bubbles upon startup looking through the rad cap opening. The car started right up, but has a major miss as if it's not running on all cylinders. No mechanical noise though... I did a compression check and found absolutely ZERO compression on cylinder #2. The other cylinders pumped up fine. The gauge would not even flinch on #2.

So... I'm towing the car back to my place and will find out more as I tear into it. I'm thinking a broken piston, but hopefully it's not that serious.

For whatever it's worth, the car was running 91 octane with 10 psi boost at WOT with a grainger valve. Timing was set at 12' BTDC. It's pretty much stock 'log' TI engine with 3" exhaust is all.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Wow, 2 cars within about a week with zero compression on # 2, what a coincidence, even if they are 5000 miles apart.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Yeah, I was just reading John's thread. That gave me a few ideas (and maybe a little hope), but it looks like I'll have to pull the top end next for sure. Oh well, I guess it's time to just go TII at this point just to make me feel a little better about it.

So holy cow, I pulled the valve cover and #2 exhaust rocker arm got spit out....

Too dark outside to get farther on it but this is promising.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Promising indeed.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast