Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda radiator install.

Mitsu booster

Honda radiator install.

Hey everyone. I just got my radiator in. However I need some insight on installing it. The oem mounts and points are way different from this rad. There are guys on here that installed them and I did read their post but no one explained what they did to sit it in there right.

turbo addict

Re: Honda radiator install.

I used the stock lower bushings on the Honda radiator, I then just drilled the holes where they needed to be. The upper I just used a piece of plate bolted to the front support over the upper pin on the radiator.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

If you can afford the space (in the height), I'd make a bracket to marry the Honda studs on the bottom with the stock holes instead of drilling new ones. Sometimes it's not possible to make such a bracket, but I try to refrain from drilling new holes in my car.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    If you can afford the space (in the height), I'd make a bracket to marry the Honda studs on the bottom with the stock holes instead of drilling new ones. Sometimes it's not possible to make such a bracket, but I try to refrain from drilling new holes in my car.
    That's what I did for a TII daytona rad into my black Omni back when. It worked well.

Mitsu booster

Thanks for the info guys. Could anybody post pics?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

It's ugly, but I had nothing for tools or shelter at the time. How far I've come!

http://omniglht.com/rad.html

turbo addict

I think I used one preexisting hole and drilled another. The top one I drilled a hole and used this metal strap. It sits at an angle.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Are these radiators really enough to keep the engine cool?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Mitsu booster

From what I've read, yes. They keep things very cool down there.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKOUT View Post
    From what I've read, yes. They keep things very cool down there.
    What has been posted about these radiators efficiencies? Did you get yours installed yet and if so, how is it working? It does seem very small, even smaller than the smallest ones that came stock on our cars.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    What has been posted about these radiators efficiencies? Did you get yours installed yet and if so, how is it working? It does seem very small, even smaller than the smallest ones that came stock on our cars.
    With no working a/c, I imagine it's alright.

Forget it if you have a working a/c though.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    With no working a/c, I imagine it's alright.

Forget it if you have a working a/c though.
    I'm just curious who all on here is running one. This one and fishcleaner are the only two and I know he has cooling problems. Is anyone else?

turbo addict

Mine is partially clogged and I have no problems with it keeping my car cool in 100* weather and 90%+ humidity. I'm using a cheapo $80 eBay radiator and have absolutely no shrouding. With proper shrouding from the fan to the radiator, and radiator to the core support, I don't see why it wouldn't work even with a/c. I've been running the Honda radiators for 4 years now. I took a 3.5 hour trip doing 80 the whole time and reaching 110+ with no issues. They are not as wide as a stock rad but the cores are much thicker.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

The T-II radiator and AC is BARELY adequate for AZ. Add a front mount intercooler and forget it. But AZ is the extreme and most of the rest of the country doesn't experience what we do.

turbo addict

I have not run a front mount yet with the Honda radiator. Proper shrouding is absolutely key in my opinion no matter what radiator you are running. If the air is just flowing around it, no radiator will keep it cool.

Shrouding is important but only helps so much. In my Dad's '85 wagon with a TU T-II radiator, AC, and a large FMIC it was running between 220* and 230* on the highway. I used cardboard to guide any air coming through the grill to go through the radiator (I used cardboard because if it didn't work I wouldn't have wasted materials and too much time). It didn't help at all.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    I have not run a front mount yet with the Honda radiator. Proper shrouding is absolutely key in my opinion no matter what radiator you are running. If the air is just flowing around it, no radiator will keep it cool.
    I would go with this statement regardless of any statements contrary. Its fact, not something that is disproven in one or more applications where the cause of overheating is undetermined. I have seen a TII Lancer that would overheat going up a large hill (freeway) and I could tow another car up the same hill with my Spirit without temps even rising. I know his car was messed up no matter how well he thought he had sorted it out.

Tell any serious Salt Flats/Land Speed guy that ducting does not make a difference. I am quite sure I have inspected the most ducted 2.2 turbo car in the world and it works. He had individual ducting for each system including oil cooler.

An engine bay that is pressurizing at speed will also prevent air from going through the radiator even with ducting.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I have found that placing a big bar and plate intercooler in front of your radiator can cause problems no matter what radiator you are using.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post

An engine bay that is pressurizing at speed will also prevent air from going through the radiator even with ducting.
    Having the proper wheel well/under car covers and air dam in place is important to keep air flowing through the radiator too. Some people don't make the connection with the plastic under car shields and proper engine cooling and toss those shields.

turbo addict

I'm going to eventually go with a spearco same side intercooler and a 3 core civic half radiator (mine is dual core right now). With proper shrouds and ducting for the intercooler and then radiator I think it should work great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast