Thread: 86 turbo z fusable links converting them to a pdc

Hybrid booster

86 turbo z fusable links converting them to a pdc

hi guys im finally going to convert my fusable links and relays to the pdc because unfortunately the links burned up and now i cant even get the car to start so now my question is are all the wires pretty much color for color and i was thinking about crimping the wires because my soldering skills are horrible lol any help would be greatly appreciated and is there anyone close to Tennessee that might want to help a fellow turbododge owner

Hybrid booster

Re: 86 turbo z fusable links converting them to a pdc

don't crimp the connectors, the wires will corrode and crumble away in a fairly short period of time.

get some wire, a decent soldering iron and some good lead based solder and practice. soldering is very easy.
    main thing to remember is you are heating up the parts you are soldering together, not trying to melt solder onto a cold joint. once the joint gets hot enough the solder will melt and flow into the joint.

Hybrid booster

even if i get the water proof connectors and do u know if the wires are an exact match

turbo addict

If you use waterproof connectors along with self sealing heat shrink the connections should be just fine provided that the wires don't have corrosion creeping up into them. This isn't the preferred method, but it will work. It works on boats all the time (did marine work for 11 years). It certainly is much better to solder at least the alternator feed wires due to the size and amperage. Of course use the self sealing heat shrink on all connections.

For soldering the wires together it is much easier to do if the entire engine bay harness is out of the car. It can be done in the car, but it is much more difficult. For larger wire I like to do free-air soldering...basically using a butane torch to heat up the exposed wire enough so the solder flows into the joint. It is much easier and faster to do it this way compared to using an iron.

Another tip for making soldering easier: use flux. It helps keep the joint clean and it helps the solder flow. Just make sure to wipe the joint off after it cools to remove any excess residue.

As for the wire colors, most of them are the same or close. I know there is at least 1, if not 2 tutorials with pictures floating around on how to do this. I don't remember if I posted up mine or not, but I modify the circuit layout to separate some of the systems as I feel there are too many voltage-critical items being run from one point. Whether it makes a difference or not, I have no idea, honestly.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Even the Neon PDC has mostly the same colors as our cars.

I agree with doing a solder and shrink wrap.

I overlap the wires by about 3/8" or so (longer with the larger wires) and then twist them together around each other inline. Then solder them and shrink wrap. It makes a stiff spot in the wire but it is a very solid connection and is sealed. You can use a simple cig lighter with the shrink wrap or get a cheap heat gun. I also recommend a soldering iron rather than a gun. Most cheap soldering guns are worthless in my experience.

-Rich

- - - Updated - - -

Even the Neon PDC has mostly the same colors as our cars.

I agree with doing a solder and shrink wrap.

I overlap the wires by about 3/8" or so (longer with the larger wires) and then twist them together around each other inline. Then solder them and shrink wrap. It makes a stiff spot in the wire but it is a very solid connection and is sealed. You can use a simple cig lighter with the shrink wrap or get a cheap heat gun. I also recommend a soldering iron rather than a gun. Most cheap soldering guns are worthless in my experience.

-Rich

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    If you use waterproof connectors along with self sealing heat shrink the connections should be just fine provided that the wires don't have corrosion creeping up into them. This isn't the preferred method, but it will work. It works on boats all the time (did marine work for 11 years). It certainly is much better to solder at least the alternator feed wires due to the size and amperage. Of course use the self sealing heat shrink on all connections.

For soldering the wires together it is much easier to do if the entire engine bay harness is out of the car. It can be done in the car, but it is much more difficult. For larger wire I like to do free-air soldering...basically using a butane torch to heat up the exposed wire enough so the solder flows into the joint. It is much easier and faster to do it this way compared to using an iron.

Another tip for making soldering easier: use flux. It helps keep the joint clean and it helps the solder flow. Just make sure to wipe the joint off after it cools to remove any excess residue.

As for the wire colors, most of them are the same or close. I know there is at least 1, if not 2 tutorials with pictures floating around on how to do this. I don't remember if I posted up mine or not, but I modify the circuit layout to separate some of the systems as I feel there are too many voltage-critical items being run from one point. Whether it makes a difference or not, I have no idea, honestly.
    can u post up some diagrams im a noob when it comes to wiring

- - - Updated - - -

does anyone have a easy to read diagrams they can post up was also thinking about taking the harness out but i dont wanna screw anything up

- - - Updated - - -

does anyone have a easy to read diagrams they can post up was also thinking about taking the harness out but i dont wanna screw anything up

Hybrid booster

anyone????

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

turbo addict

Man, I'm sorry I didn't get back with you. In all honesty my diagrams wouldn't help you much. I modify the way things are routed in the box. I'd say that just about everyone else leaves things alone and just adapts the car wiring to the PDC the way it sits.

The mini-mopar diagram is what I used to start my conversion, but I went nuts from there. It really helps to have the wiring diagrams for your car. If you don't have them, contact NAJ over on "turbododge". He is the wiring diagram guru.

Hybrid booster

thanks cordes and reaper 1 i got my connectors and stuff so within the next day or two when i feel better will let u guys know how it goes

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I've done a few custom underhood harnesses and replaced a lot of fuse links before. I also use a small butane torch. One thing that makes the solder flow a lot easier is to get the bare wire ends as clean as possible before soldering and also use a rosin solder gel to help the solder flow into the joint evenly.

Hybrid booster

thanks for the response iturbo will def keep that in mind when i do it been slammed with work lately