Thread: '88 Shadow ES - 2dr/5 spd

'88 Shadow ES - 2dr/5 spd

Date: 20th July 2014
    Username: Pat
    City, State, Zip: Rockville, MD
    Selling or Wanted Price: $1900

Many of you know Scott Drega...he's been on here for years (ScottD) and has been a close personal friend of mine for over 20 years. Scott recently ran into a major medical issue, which is going to keep him from the car hobby for quite a while. To help him and his family, I'm helping him sell off some of his car stash. Two have already been sold somewhat privately...next on the chopping block is his Shadow. Clean title in Scott's name, signed and ready to go to the next owner. Car is currently at Scott's house, which is about 35 miles from me, but I will be bringing it down to my place shortly to make selling it easier.

Car is an '88 Shadow ES, red 2 door, 5 speed. Very good shape. Runs and drives very well (I drove it again about 2 weeks ago).

Engine: Original 2.2 with mitsu turbo, fresh headgasket/bolts, I believe it also has a new timing belt and water pump. Motor was cleaned up and painted, as was the valve cover. No funny noises, doesn't smoke. Does look like the valve cover is leaking a bit, but nothing to worry about. Car has a Daytona radiator/Intercooler set up in it, with factory T-II airbox and hoses. Has g valve for boost control.

Trans: Original 3.50 FD 520 shifts well and doesn't make any noises. Brand new stock clutch. Shifter is an ...has an '89 short shifter from a Daytona Shelby.

Suspension: I'm 99% positive he put shocks and struts in it (will check next time I am at his place) with stock springs. K frame and rack was pulled and cleaned/painted. Recently aligned.

Body: Usual paint fade on the top surfaces, but looks pretty good. Has an aftermarket rear bumper cover on it. Floor is extremely solid, but there is an isolated spot of rust in front of the right rear wheel and in part of the wheel arch. Looks like there was a dent there at some point, and is rusting at the repair. Scott bought a new replacement rocker panel, which will go with the car.

Wheels/Tires: Factory crab wheels were restored with the lips polished. Has new tires on it.

Interior: Gray strobe interior. Outstanding shape. He put a JVC head unit in it and some aftermarket speakers, but other than that, it's bone stock. I'll check the headliner again next time I'm there, but I'm almost positive he redid the headliner too.

Last December after Scott got sick, I went up and drove the car to fill up the gas tank since I knew it would be sitting for a bit. Since then, I ride up to check on his house (he's not living there right now) and run the cars every month or so. Two weeks ago, I dusted them off and drove them all again. Shadow runs and drives very nicely. Would make a great project for someone to finish or a wonderful driver. I even recall he was working on fixing the AC last summer, which I believe he had working.

This car is priced to sell. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. For those of you who have seen the car in person (I know he's had it out at local events), please feel free to chime in with your descriptions of the car.

Thanks.

Pat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scott Shadow 4.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	428.8 KB 
ID:	51158   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scott Shadow 2.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	331.5 KB 
ID:	51157   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scott Shadow 1.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	483.4 KB 
ID:	51156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scott Shadow 6.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	51159   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scott Shadow 7.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	51160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scott Shadow 8.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	51161  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scott Shadow 9.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	51162   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scott Shadow 10.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	51163   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scott Shadow 11.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	51164   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scott Shadow3.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	407.5 KB 
ID:	51165   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scotts Shadow 5.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	51166  

Re: '88 Shadow ES - 2dr/5 spd

Forgot to add...it has 114k miles.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I remember complimenting him on this car on facebook. Really nice looking car for the money!!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

I would be all over this if it wasn't so far away. You can buy CSXs all day. These are harder to find.

For the price he's asking, if you ship it, it's still a good deal. :-)
    Last edited by Pat; 07-22-2014 at 08:21 AM.

I just emailed this to a buddy who is looking for a cheap fun hotrod

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Dammit, I've been dying to pick up one of these for years. I love my T-tops and all, but I have always liked the looks of a Shadow ES.

I don't know if I've ever seen those wheels done like that with the polished lip. Real nice!

Bump.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Hybrid booster

Scott is very good with his cars. From the conversations I've had with him, he's put a lot of work into this one. Bump for a good guy

Went up to Scott's house today to pick the car up and bring it to my place to give it a bath and a good inspection. Here's what I found:

Car has new:
    • Falken Ziex tires: 195/60/15’s
    • Front brake hoses
    • Front calipers
    • KYB’s all around
    • Ball joints
    • Poly control arm bushings
    • Poly sway bar bushings
    • Axles
    • Clutch (stock)
    • Headgasket/bolts
    • Looks like new AC hoses
    • Radiator hoses
    • Heater hoses
    • Rubber fuel lines
    • Fuel filter
    • Looks like the tank was replaced at some point (I think…)
    • Might have new water pump
    • Looks like he put tie rod ends on it also…can’t be certain, but they don’t look like they’re 22 years old
    • Knowing Scott, I’m sure it has a new thermostat

Car has (but not new)
    • Running on T2 SMEC
    • Charge temp sensor wired in
    • T2 injectors
    • Gvalve for boost control (seems to be about 12-13 psi)
    • CSX radiator/intercooler and airbox
    • Ford vacuum block to redo vacuum harness

Runs really well. No ticks, smoke, funny noises, etc. Engine is definitely peppy. With the mitsu turbo, it’s not a screamer, but it’s fun to drive. Put about 40 miles on it today. Never got hot or did anything funny that would leave me concerned. Starts right up, no smoke or rattles on start up. Shifts perfectly.

Suspension is fresh all around , including front bushings, tires are new and it’s definitely been aligned. Drives very nicely. No rattles or clunks. Tires were a little flat spotted from sitting at first, but once they loosened up and was nice and smooth.

AC functions, but definitely needs a charge. Compressor cycles probably a bit too much and the air is sort of cool, not cold. Stereo seems to work, all lights work, etc.

Roof and hatch are perfect from what I can see. No dents, dings or rust, including on the underside of the hatch lip. Front fenders and doors near perfect other than a door ding or two…no dents, no rust, including the underside of each door. Left quarter seems perfect. Right quarter is not. From what I can tell, I suspect it was dented at some point and someone tried to fix it with some bondo/fiberglass and did a completely lousy job. The result is that it’s rusted. There is rust at the lower portion of the quarter under and above the side ground effects. It’s also rusted at about 2:00 and 10:00 around the wheel well. There is also one spot on the rocker on the right door sill. Hood is OK…looks like there was a dent above the left headlight that also got a lousy repair. Some rust has started there, but is definitely fixable. No rust under the lip of the hood at all. Underside looks great all around, including the spare tire well.

Brake feel ok under normal driving. I did notice it dances a little bit if I stab them hard at highway speed. It’s not terrible by any means, but it is there. I suspect that since the front was done (calipers and hoses), my guess is that the rear could use the same attention. I didn’t feel uncomfortable driving it, but if it were my car, I’d probably do the rear hoses and wheel cylinders as a precaution, particularly since these cars are so old now.

Interior is really nice. No rips, tears, has a new headliner, no dash cracks or warps, etc. It has power locks but manual windows. One thing that deviates from stock is that Scott removed the door from the package tray to install some sliding cup holders. Looks bone stock and actually way better than the stock set up if you ask me…I hated that my ’88 didn’t have cup holders! 

Wheels are perfect.

If you have questions, ask away. I am trying to be as blunt as possible in the description so there are no surprises to a potential buyer. I have a ton of pictures but for some reason, TM doesn't seem to want to take them when I try to upload them. Will keep trying.

Thanks!

Pat

I just set up a photobucket account to upload the pictures...see link below for all the pics.

http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/pc...?sort=3&page=1

Pat

Sale pending! :-)

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Sale pending! :-)

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Craig View Post
    Glad to hear.

Resident Nuke Turbo Mopar Contributor denviola's Avatar

Kudos to you Pat, a great guy helping out another great guy!
    SDAC Member, Steel City Chapter SDAC Member, SV-SDAC member, SV-TD Member
    www.sv-td.com
    85 600 ES Turbo Conv., 91 Spirit R/T
    2014 RAM Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab Dually. 6.7 CTD, AISIN, 4.10 gear
    68 GS400 (owned since 1973, someday 455)
    2012 Can-AM RT Limited

Car is now a long way from where it started...new owner flew into Baltimore and pulled out of my driveway in it at about midnight on Monday. One day and 1100 trouble free miles, the car is now in Minnesota with it's new owner!

Garrett booster

I am very happy with the new car. I've already made a few changes to it. I have more in store for it. A huge thank you from me to Pat. He went out of his way to answer all my questions and represented the car very accurately. I only wish I had more time to talk cars with him. Thank you so much.

Hybrid booster

going all over the country to buy and sell cars, are ya Jessie?

Glad to see the car living on with one of the 'lifer' enthusiasts.

Garrett booster

Lifer??? Yes, you're right. I've changed the look of the car a little. I'd show you a photo but the site won't allow me to upload a photo.

Lifer??? Yes, you're right. I've changed the look of the car a little. I'd show you a photo but the site won't allow me to upload a photo.
    Embrace it!

I use photobucket to host photos and just link to them using the IMG button here.