Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shelby steering wheel

Garrett booster

Shelby steering wheel

My steering wheel in my 86 S is looking bad and i would like to find a gently used one.

boostaholic

Re: Shelby steering wheel

peel the leather off

Quote Originally Posted by Ratrace427 View Post
    My steering wheel in my 86 S is looking bad and i would like to find a gently used one.
    There is a shop in Texas that refinishes them with new leather, very well done in my opinion. Cost is about $250 total plus shipping. May be a little less, but that's the ball park for the GLHS wheel. Let me know if you want his info.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

American-Stitches

I was quoted $250 for one recently.

Garrett booster

@minigts- would you send me photos of your wheel that they recovered? I am curious if its exactly the same or different in some way.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...l=1#post847490

You can see the pics here. This was out of the box, I think he did a really good job. The only thing I might ask next time is for Corinthian leather or something polished. It's fine, don't get me wrong, but I think they tanned it with a nicer finish than this, but not sure if that is even an option. I bet this guy will do whatever, not sure if it would be more or not.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Garrett booster

Thanks for all the info! That was back in 2011. I do see some differences maybe. Its hard to tell when my wheel is old. The leather used on yours looks softer and the ends where the leather meet the spokes interest me. How is it holding up? Are you using yours daily? There is a guy "Mike007" in Canada that has a mopar leather kit for my wheel. He says he picked them up from a dealer years ago. His price is higher and my wheel has to go to some guy in Canada that as far as i know has no experience with leather.

After 3 years, it looks about the same. There may be a little more of a sheen to it, but it has held up really well, granted it's only been 3 years. This car gets about 15-20K miles per year since, so it is my daily driver, but it is garage kept and doesn't get exposed to the elements (sun) sitting in a parking lot all day. There are no noticeable wear marks or fades anywhere on it. I have made more of an attempt to drive with my hand all over the wheel instead of just at the top so I don't wear it in one place.

I'm sure there are a number of places here in the states where you can get it done. I think you're going to spend around $200-250 wherever you go.

Garrett booster

The guy in Canada has agreed to sell me the factory leather kit. I dont think i should pass up on the deal but i still have to get the wheel covered. He thinks i can do this job my self and is sending me new glue to go with it. I will have to examine the factory stitch pattern.

Well I don't want to squelch creativity and doing it yourself, but unless you're getting that kit for a steal, I'd look at spending the $250 and having a professional do it. I would love to be able to wrap my own steering wheel, but I am pretty particular about some things and this would be one of them.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Well I don't want to squelch creativity and doing it yourself, but unless you're getting that kit for a steal, I'd look at spending the $250 and having a professional do it. I would love to be able to wrap my own steering wheel, but I am pretty particular about some things and this would be one of them.
    What aren't you particular about? That's a short list and that's not a bad thing.

haha well when I start working on something I start getting nit picky, but if my car runs and there are no issues, sometimes I will drive it without washing it for weeks!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    haha well when I start working on something I start getting nit picky, but if my car runs and there are no issues, sometimes I will drive it without washing it for weeks!
    You're an animal!

Garrett booster

Its going to run me $160 ish USD. I know what you are saying about being picky. Its a factory part though and i could always have someone else cover the wheel with the kit. The guy said he was going to punch the holes for me so that i wouldnt even have to lay it out. All i will have to do is look at the factory stick and make note of how its done. Then after the old leather is removed put some glue in the center section of the wheel and slide the leather over on to the wheel with some water. I bet this will be a hard stretch. Then sow it back up using the holes the seller has put into the leather. Easier said than done.. I just love the factory leather idea but scared of the stitch part.

Man if you feel you can do it, go ahead. Again, I know we all like to do it ourselves, so not trying to give you grief. If it turns out good, definitely post pics. I've never seen anyone do it, it may not be that difficult. Good luck, regardless.

Garrett booster

i started this project today. I am impressed with the look with the leather removed. I dont think i would have bought the leather if i knew what was under it. Anyways i have taken lots of pics but i need to buy some cord to sew it back together.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Waiting on pictures!!!

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Garrett booster

Garrett booster

I got the first section done. The problem is the holes are already punched and they are not perfect. I have lots of photos but i need to upload them all to photo bucket.

That looks pretty good! Did the kit include a glue or resin to adhere the leather to the wheel? Just curious. Nice stitching though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast