Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: air charge temp sensor location

Garrett booster

air charge temp sensor location

Right so I am total novice at this stuff. I ordered a Chlton manual but it isn't here yet and I CANNOT find anything on the Internet showing me what I need to know.

I need to replace the air charge temp sensor on my 1987 lebaron 2.2l turbo. I have the part (courtesy of Rock Auto!!) and I am all set to put it in...the issue is I cannot determine where exactly the thing is on the engine. I see something on the manifold that looks suspiciously like it, but I am not 100% sure that is it.

if anyone can just give me a rough idea i can finish this job in 5 min and go and sit by the beach.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: air charge temp sensor location

It's on top of the intake manifold on the TI log motors if my memory serves me correctly.

Garrett booster

That should be it with the two wires coming out in the second picture. The other one is your knock sensor.

Garrett booster

Ok here goes! If you hear an explosion coming from central Florida you know I did it wrong.

Garrett booster

Unfortunately the part I got from Rock Auto doesn't fit, the thread is too small....very odd.....the description was correct on the order....

The stock piece is 3/8ths NPT. It looks like the one they gave you is 1/4"NPT. That happens at the local parts place more often than not too. My wife won't go to an autoparts store for me unless she has an old part so that she can show them how the one they're trying to sell her is the wrong one.

If you have a good hardware store nearby you could probably pick up a 3/8NPT to 1/4NPT bushing and make that work. Will the connector go in the new one at all?

Garrett booster

The new part fits in it just wont thread, which obviously even I know is a horrible horrible thing. I will try the only hardware store in town, ACE

Garrett booster

the thing that worries me about using a bushing is the sensor piece of the part will not be sitting inside as deep into the manifold as it would if the part was stock....is that makes any difference at all.....

turbo addict

maybe your threads on the intake manifold side are at the small side of the tolerance while the part you have is at the high end. NPT have a taper, if you have a NPT tap around maybe retap it, but then metal shavings..
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Garrett booster

I am going to just use the bushing and see what happens......not like the car will explode...........right?????

turbo addict

right.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Quote Originally Posted by TheSteve View Post
    the thing that worries me about using a bushing is the sensor piece of the part will not be sitting inside as deep into the manifold as it would if the part was stock....is that makes any difference at all.....
    It think it's going to be a wash. The old one is one of the enclosed style units while the new one is the cage design which should respond better to changes in temp. The later TI cars didn't even have them.

turbo addict

Dip the tap in wheel Bearing grease before tapping. You can get away with taping most things that way.

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    Dip the tap in wheel Bearing grease before tapping. You can get away with taping most things that way.
    The new one is smaller than the old one. No tap needed.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    The new one is smaller than the old one. No tap needed.
    I have the bushing and was all set to put the part in, but I was interrupted by a six pack of Corona and a pepperoni pizza so I will have to do it tomorrow.

turbo addict

cordes is right the old factory one is 3/8 NPT and the new one is 1/4" NPT and made for V8 Grand Cherokee. Personally I don't know what I'd do. I have a V8 GC and made an adapter bushings at work but don't like the fact that it's not even in the airflow afterwards. I have not tried it on my car because of this.

Hybrid booster

Cordes, my wife is convinced they intentionally give me the wrong part so I have to go back 2-3 times!

HT2, as it's just measuring the charge temp rather than flow I'd think any difference from not being IN the airflow is going to be nominal as the compressed air has a higher than ambient temp anyhow.

Garrett booster

Well I have had the bushing-modified part in since this morning and so far so good. The "powerloss" warning is gone, all systems normal. Car idles and runs fine, no explosions or anything. I am curious as to if the MPG will increase at all, we shall see. Rock Auto has contacted me about the part, just sent them pics and all that, we will see what they say.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

These sensors on these early T1 log cars do little more than inform the computer as to the extent of heat soak (manifold temperature), they are more important to the tuning on more modern cars, but for us, often they are eliminated as they contribute little.

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

These sensors on these early T1 log cars do little more than inform the computer as to the extent of heat soak (manifold temperature), they are more important to the tuning on more modern cars, but for us, often they are eliminated as they contribute little.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast