Thread: Anyone else ever break a follower?

Garrett booster

Anyone else ever break a follower?

Just curious if this has happened to anyone else. I have been abusing these for years now. Last year I chucked an intake follower out with no damage. This time again an intake follower so I don't think there is any significant damage. I have to find a set of followers. I have an F4 cam with shimmed PT lifters. Could this be due to my setup?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Anyone else ever break a follower?

I've seen pictures like that posted on here many times. I think most guys just throw a new one in and go. I'm not sure what causes it, but I've always thought they were just bad from the get go.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by supershadow View Post
    Just curious if this has happened to anyone else. I have been abusing these for years now. Last year I chucked an intake follower out with no damage. This time again an intake follower so I don't think there is any significant damage. I have to find a set of followers. I have an F4 cam with shimmed PT lifters. Could this be due to my setup?

In my opinion I think the stock valvetrain (sucks) needs work if a person goes much over 6500 RPM! I was getting away with 7200 RPM safely but have plans to go much higher! I spit a rocker and bent a valve at 7600 RPM!

Garrett booster

I'm shifting at 6k. The power is not there after that so I don't see taking it much past where I am now with the current setup.

I've done this a few times myself but it always occurred when a lifter tip broke off. Valve bounce will cause this to happen. I run some really stout springs now and haven't had a problem so these rockers are actually pretty strong. For the record, I regularly spin my engine to 7000, and occasionally miss a gear and point my tach needle straight down. I run a .530 x 280° cam.

turbo addict

look at the surface where the break is ( the edge that used to be the inside)

if you see smooth flat spots in the rough surface that's probably contamination in the metal
    (ie something that shouldn't be there)

if not it's probably fatigue

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

I broke three in all (if memory serves) when I was running the stock 88 turbo cam with Mopar 061(?) springs and shifting @ around 6800-7000rpm. (would happen randomly and I would simply replace and keep going)

Ever since I switched to the F4 cam with the Crane springs that Cindy sells (the ones that a lot of people thought were to weak) I've never had this issue, and I've shifted 1st and 2nd right of the 7400rpm limiter too many times to count

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Garrett booster

Did that once also - unfortunately, it gouged the cam and spit the follower next to it. Suspected a loose valve seat (never verified - it had spit a follower a month prior in a different location to the other one breaking) - replaced the entire head/valvetrain in my case.