Thread: Last Gasp (for now) of a Dying Daytona

Hybrid booster

Last Gasp (for now) of a Dying Daytona

So let me start this off by saying I know this forum is filled with an abundance of DIYers and when I peruse the amazing things everyone is doing with these cars I am amazed at what you all are able to do. It is truly impressive. That being said, at least at this point in my life, I am not one of those people. I have spent the last 3 years chasing the gremlins through my Daytona, and nothing ever seems to come together. I'll spare you all the long sordid road that led me to here, but the fact is, the Daytona has issues I just cant resolve on my own. Or in my garage.

So I am reaching out. Basically I am looking for help finding a shop that could #1 resolve any persistent mechanical issues (through my attempts I hope I have resolved them all but I can't say with 100% confidence) and most importantly #2 resolve the tuning issues with the computer. I am willing to drive/ship the car (I'm on the far end of MA).

Currently the main thing "wrong" is that it breaks up (detonates? I don't know enough to say) after about 3500 rpms. It also runs extremely rich (I'm getting maybe 14 mpgs) and occasionally dies when I throw it in neutral. I have a long history of tuning issues, so that's my presumption on the problem. I just imagine at this point mechanical could be an additional issue.

This isn't a help me fix it or I scrap it thread, if I can't find help I will just put it in storage for the next 30 or so years until I have the time and the wherewithal to sit down and figure it out (though parts wont exist by then lol).

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Last Gasp (for now) of a Dying Daytona

Brian Slowe is your man and also in Philly. His user name on here is turbo2point2.

On a side note, you can't exclude yourself from the group of guys on here who do nearly all of their own work because they're incredible giants among men. The battles you've had with that car and the work you've done to it exceed what 99.99999% of mortals will ever be able to accomplish.

Hey Mike...I agree with Cordes. Give Brian a call. Great guy and does great work.

On a side note, how is the R/T? Still have it?

Hybrid booster

Awesome, I saw some people mentioning Slowe Speed had built their cars but wasn't sure if it was just a "friends" thing or if I could reach out. I will definitely give him a call. And thanks for the words, I do ok, I'm just at the point where the car needs and expert.

Pat, yes, still have it. It's my DD now =P.... doing ok. There's a coolant leak, but doesn't seem to be going into the engine, and I think there's a short in the dash, but reliable enough =); Was actually going to send you a message if i can ever get around to taking a video, the leak seems to be out of the engine right above the Trans... I just keep filling it up, gave my other DD to my wife's mother, haven't had a choice but to drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Brian Slowe is your man and also in Philly. His user name on here is turbo2point2.

On a side note, you can't exclude yourself from the group of guys on here who do nearly all of their own work because they're incredible giants among men. The battles you've had with that car and the work you've done to it exceed what 99.99999% of mortals will ever be able to accomplish.
    Agreed with all comments by Cordes. People are amazed at what I do with my car, which isn't much. Changing my oil, swapping out a K frame, you'd think I did the work that Brian did to my car with the welding and header build. So naturally I tell people that I did all the work. JUST KIDDING!! Seriously though, we've all had issues with the cars and getting help is not below anyone on this forum. It'll get resolved. Take it to Brian and he should be able to help diagnose the issue. Until then, post up some info about the car and we'll see if we can help out.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

How far are you willing to drive/ship?

turbo addict

is it giveing you any codes ?

stalling makes me think speed sensor which won't always throw a code or idle control maybe ?