turbo addict

WHO here has broken a CV AXLE?

And if so where did it break?
    the inner joint?
    the outer joint?
    the shaft?
    Where?

What were you doing? Drags? Autocross?

What is the weak point of our axles most of the time?
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: WHO here has broken a CV AXLE?

Thread should be

Who hasn't....

There are a few threads going on right now on the topic.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

lol
    I haven't
    but I learned the importance of putting the bolt in the center of the front mount isolator back in the exact same spot - at the expence of a buddy who took his car to a shop to change that mount - the kid working there didn't know 'bout that
    though neither did we - until the FIRST replacement cv joint blew up on the first left turn - we got it home , buddy stormed into the house leaveing me & his car in the driveway where I figured it out by myself
    - back in '85 when cv kits still cost 4-6 hun each

I've broken both inner and outer joints, but my primary failures have been right where they spline into the diff. I've never broken an axle shaft, but I have sheared the tubular intermediate shaft for equal length axles...that was a fun one. :-)

turbo addict

I have had the intermediate shaft's spines strip out also.

I have had many cv axles go bad from wear, but not break in two.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

I broke a passenger-side axle on an unequal-length setup years ago. It broke the actual shaft just about where it enters the outer CV. I was trying to do a burnout (mistake #1) with the wheel turned nearly all the way to the right (mistake #2). The engine mounts were wasted (mistake #3), but I was trying to impress my friend who had a 5.0 Mustang (mistake #4 on both our parts). I guess everybody has to be a 17-year-old once in their life.

Since then... life's been ok in the axle department.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Hybrid booster

I had the universal joint fail and cost me a new block
    I snapped one axle launching at the drags.

Both events were at the drags, first one I blame on fatigue.... The second was my fault, I came out of a burnout too aggressively and the axle was finished off right at the starting line..... first thing in the morning..... at Cecil County..... thankfully the end of the season..... but it was far to go to for not even one pass

turbo addict

I snapped one axle launching at the drags.
    Snapped where?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    I broke a passenger-side axle on an unequal-length setup years ago. It broke the actual shaft just about where it enters the outer CV. I was trying to do a burnout (mistake #1) with the wheel turned nearly all the way to the right (mistake #2). The engine mounts were wasted (mistake #3), but I was trying to impress my friend who had a 5.0 Mustang (mistake #4 on both our parts). I guess everybody has to be a 17-year-old once in their life.

Since then... life's been ok in the axle department.
    Mine broke there too, But I just revved it up and dumped the clutch. Mounts are almost solid, a-arm bushings are solid, Koni's and Eibachs too. It still wheel hopped on the concrete and busted.

This pics is looking from the outer joint on the drivers side down towards where it would go into the trans.

I think I have batted for the cycle. I have broken CV shaft's at the inner joint, outer joint, the CV shaft itself, broken the splines between the shaft and the joint, snapped the inner joint off inside the trans on both the left and right side of the car with more damage on the right side of the car. I have also broke the "U" joint in the stub shaft and torn the female splines out of the stub shaft. Most of this was done drag racing or being a hooligan back in the day.

The best solution I have found is call John at Polly bushing and get ALL the engine mounts and control arm bushings, since I have done this I have only broken two CV shafts in the last six years. I was averaging five to six CV shafts a year before replacing the mounts and bushings, one year I think I put in 15 shafts.

Paul

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

yes, and all of the above

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Snapped where?
    Outer passenger side, right inside the boot. The boot actually held the axle in place when it broke.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I have broken 2 driver's side cv axles by splitting the inner cv cage on two different caravans. That's been it, but honestly i have VERY little dragstrip passes on k-cars and that's probably why the number isnt higher.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

I was looking for the major weak point but from these comments it looks like there is not one, but many.

Hybrid booster

I think its all dependent on what kind of axle you get/have. Isnt the Saginaw supposed to be the bees knees?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

I've only broken one, which always surprised me, but I see many more in my future. It cracked the whole length of the axle shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by turismolover22 View Post
    Isnt the Saginaw supposed to be the bees knees?
    From what I gather, I think so. So far since April, I've had an Autozone axle dump grease everywhere, and the warranty exchange for that one vibrates like a mother under power at lower speeds! I grabbed a pair of Saginaw axles out of a Dynasty and I can not wait to get at least the driver's side axle in.

As of lately, I'll take unknown mileage over unknown quality. My original unequal-length Saginaw axles have over 180k miles on them, no problems, and if I wasn't such a freaking idiot, I'd still have them both in. The passenger side is still in there at least.
    Jon J.

turbo addict

You find a good one you can always have it rebuilt at a shop. Or the one here in Oregon.

I'm actually taking my broken inner joint to work with me tomorrow to degrease what's left of it. I want to see if there are any part numbers stamped on it. There are a bunch of NOS Mopar tripods on ebay, but I don't know which one goes to which axle. So far I haven't been able to find a parts list for any of them. The joint was fine, but when I took the retaining ring out, before I could yell a choice four-letter word, one of the bearings slid off, spilling globs of greasy needles everywhere. What an idiot.
    Jon J.

Hybrid booster

I have broken one axle. A 4k clutch drop on drag slicks and it was an autozone axle. Splines sheared off inside the diff.

I now have oem ones I rebuilt and havn't had an issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast