Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.2/2.5 big plenum custom intake GROUP BUY

turbo addict

2.2/2.5 big plenum custom intake GROUP BUY

The prototype has been successfully installed and has functioned perfectly, so its time to start taking names for who wants one!

The specs of this intake are:

Plenum: 231 cu. in. (3.79L) **not including throttle body elbow, runners, or head flanges.**

Runners: 1.75" ID, approx. 6" long along centerline from inside plenum to gasket surface. (Includes lengths of head flange transition, runner, and plenum plate volume. Runner opening inside plenum is oval shaped because it intersects the plenum at at angle, giving it a much larger opening than the runner ID, equivalent to a circular opening of 1.97". Runner openings inside plenum are bellmouthed.

Throttle: 2.5"/2.375" OD/ID 90 deg. elbow, flange designed to mount up to 58mm Chrysler throttle body and has 58mm bore. The throttle body flange is located very close to the stock location and angle, but shifted downwards about 1.75".

Head flanges: Funnels smoothly and continuously (no undercuts) from runner ID of 1.75" to port shape. Port shape is approx 1/16" larger than than stock size of port on swirl and G heads to allow for port matching.

Fuel injection: Uses stock rail and will likely work with any other rail that fits in the stock location. Injector angle and location is identical to stock.

Construction: 6061-T6 aluminum, hand TIG welded. CNC machined components. Cosmetically the intake is unpainted, and either raw machined or straight from the aluminum supplier. Standard methods can be used to polish and/or paint it as you like.

Fitment: Designed to be used with a stock exhaust manifold and all turbos that were available as standard equipment from Chrysler. May also fit with other turbos or headers. If you have fitment questions, please post pictures in this thread of your engine bay and/or measurements and discuss it in this thread so others can see.

Weight: About 7.5 lbs.

Notes:

A spacer to move the wastegate actuator towards the drivers side by approximately 0.675" is likely required, as well as extending the wastegate actuator rod as needed. The spacer can be a simple block of aluminum with two holes in it, made with a hand drill.

Although the pictures show it installed along with a Saginaw power steering pump, the production version has a longer plenum in order to allow for better bellmouthing, and will not fit with a Saginaw pump. The production version will require a ZF pump or no pump.

Clearance to the firewall brake line shield at the closest point is approximately 0.7", in a G-body.

A protruding screw on the firewall needs to be cut off, this can easily be done with a small saw or dremel.

L-body fitment is underway! The runners will be slightly shorter but otherwise there will be no changes. If you want yours to fit an L-body, please indicate so when you commit to the group buy!

A heat shield is recommended to block rising heat from the turbo between the runners. This can be a simple sheet of metal cut in a rectangle and secured to the intake using typical methods.

A 1/4" NPT port is included on the plenum end plate, throttle body side, which should line up perfectly with the brake booster vacuum hose. Any other required ports or bungs will need to be added by you. This allows you to add them right where you want. The pictures below show an example installation with several holes added, but these are not included in the production version. Also shown in the pictures is a bracket on the steering pump used to mount the ground strap, but this has been deleted from the production version. A simple tapped hole can be added to mount the ground strap.

For the history of the development of this product please see this thread:

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f32...ig-plenum.html

The price is $330 + $40 shipping

If you can arrange pickup in Hemet, CA, then there is no shipping charge!

This price is only for this group buy! The price will go up in the future!

Consider the total cost in time and money for a typical custom intake, such as:

-Cost for custom plenum, $325+

-Cost for lower part of 2 piece, $100+

-Cost and/or time to port 2 piece lower, hours or $75+

Which comes to around $500.

If you compare specifications to other options, I think you'll find that this intake has a bigger plenum, bigger runners and runner openings, and requires no porting or additional work to attain those specifications.

Also, for those who want a truly MASSIVE plenum volume either now or in the future, this intake can be modified to extend the plenum up towards the hood, nearly doubling plenum volume. This is possible because this intake resides much lower than the stock intake, so there is plenty of room above it for additional plenum volume.

I'm looking for 20 orders to get the ball rolling!

All I need is a commitment to buy an intake at the $330 + $40 shipping price. No deposits will be taken now. Please do not commit unless you actually plan on actually paying for an intake in the next 30 days. Once I receive 20 commitments, I'll ask for non refundable deposits of $165, and your intake will ship within 6 weeks of receiving your deposit.

Remember to specify if your intake needs to fit an L-body or not!

Lets fill 'em up!!

Last edited by acannell; 07-31-2014 at 10:22 PM.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: 2.2/2.5 big plenum custom intake GROUP BUY

I'm in for an L-body compatible version.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I'm in for an L-body compatible version.
    THANK YOU VIGO!!

1. Vicus (TD, unknown)
    2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
    3. signsoflife22 (TD, special)

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Damn, i was hoping to be #1!

Also, what's the unknown/special stuff mean? I'm only asking for an l-body version because of a minor preference for a little more firewall clearance. I dont think the slightly shorter runners will have any downside for me.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Damn, i was hoping to be #1!
    Lol!! Gotta be really fast...u only missed it by 12 hours

Also, what's the unknown/special stuff mean? I'm only asking for an l-body version because of a minor preference for a little more firewall clearance. I dont think the slightly shorter runners will have any downside for me.
    Unknown/special means I haven't confirmed what body style its being used on yet.

If you don't have an L-body I would recommend getting the normal version. It will have more clearance in the wastegate rod area and the extra firewall clearance shouldn't be needed if you have good motor mounts.

turbo addict

I'd make them all Lbody versions just for the shorter runners

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    I'd make them all Lbody versions just for the shorter runners
    +1
    that would make the intake transferable to a different body later if the buyer chooses to change cars or builds

turbo addict

Huge thanks to SHADOW!

1. Vicus (TD, L-body)
    2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
    3. signsoflife22 (TD, L-body
    4. Shadow (TD, L-body)

Hybrid booster

Add me in for an L body intake!

Martin

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Turbulence View Post
    Add me in for an L body intake!

Martin
    YEEEHAW!! THANKS TURBULENCE!!!

1. Vicus (TD, L-body)
    2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
    3. signsoflife22 (TD, L-body)
    4. Shadow (TD, L-body)
    5. Turbulence (TM, L-body)

Garrett booster

I'm in for an L-Body version please!

turbo addict

Any interest in selling a diy version?
    I have some ideas for an exotic plenum design, all I would need is the 4 head flange pieces and a stick of the aluminum tubing.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    Any interest in selling a diy version?
    I have some ideas for an exotic plenum design, all I would need is the 4 head flange pieces and a stick of the aluminum tubing.
    I can definitely provide the kit unwelded, and I have wanted to find a way to provide the pieces individually so people can make crazy intakes on their own. But so far the only way I have found that I can pull all this off is to sell the full kit either welded or unwelded. The way I was able to get the price so low is that I am essentially hiring myself as a slave labor welder, and if I can get an order for 20 intakes, thats plenty of work for me and it all works out.

But if I provide the kit unwelded, I cant lower the price, which I know seems odd. The reason is that there are 13 machined pieces to make the intake and the way I pay for all that machining and material is via the welding (labor).

Someday I'd like to make all the parts available by themselves, specifically so people can make crazy intakes on their own, but they would end up being more expensive to buy individually than the full kit. The flanges are the most expensive part.

So at the moment I can't offer the flanges by themselves, but you'd get them if you order the whole kit unwelded!

- - - Updated - - -

PAGEOPHILE YOU ARE GREAT THANK YOU!!!!

1. Vicus (TD, L-body)
    2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
    4. Shadow (TD, L-body)
    6. Pageophile (TM, L-body)

turbo addict

I fully understand that, unfortunately with life in the way ill have to wait. Hopefully you still offer the intake when I have the cash. Its an awesome design by the way.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    I fully understand that, unfortunately with life in the way ill have to wait. Hopefully you still offer the intake when I have the cash. Its an awesome design by the way.
    sounds good!

turbo addict

THANK YOU TRYINGBE!! woohoo!!!

1. Vicus (TD, L-body)
    2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
    4. Shadow (TD, L-body)
    6. Pageophile (TM, L-body)
    7. tryingbe (TM, L-body)
    Last edited by acannell; 07-24-2014 at 04:49 PM.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    THANK YOU VIGO!!

1. Vicus (TD, unknown)
    2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
    3. signsoflife22 (TD, special)
    3. signsoflife22, aka: knownenemy (TD, special)

Hybrid booster

Would love to have one, but not sure it would pass visual inspection, unless...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 88C/S View Post
    ... unless you cut the top off a one piece to make a cover that goes over the round can plenium with a few tac welds to hide it and hose it all down with some black paint

- - - Updated - - -

... unless you cut the top off a one piece to make a cover that goes over the round can plenium with a few tac welds to hide it and hose it all down with some black paint

turbo addict

I've been able to remove and install mine while its on the head, in car. Its a little bit tough because you have to get your arm back there, but its doable with a few choice allen wrenches and small wrenches. You can see the bolts from above so if you made a special ratcheting allen wrench somehow you could do it alot easier I bet. I just did it with what I had around. Point being could always change your "off road legal" car that you trailer only to racing events and never drive on the street to smog legal by reinstalling your stock intake.

BTW if you are San Diego, do you ever come up to Hemet? If so you could pick it up and not pay the shipping, so instead of $330 + $40 s/h = $370, it would just be $330! Or I occasionally go down to Escondido and/or Solana Beach, and you could pick it up then, same deal!

- - - Updated - - -

I've been able to remove and install mine while its on the head, in car. Its a little bit tough because you have to get your arm back there, but its doable with a few choice allen wrenches and small wrenches. You can see the bolts from above so if you made a special ratcheting allen wrench somehow you could do it alot easier I bet. I just did it with what I had around. Point being could always change your "off road legal" car that you trailer only to racing events and never drive on the street to smog legal by reinstalling your stock intake.

BTW if you are San Diego, do you ever come up to Hemet? If so you could pick it up and not pay the shipping, so instead of $330 + $40 s/h = $370, it would just be $330! Or I occasionally go down to Escondido and/or Solana Beach, and you could pick it up then, same deal!

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast