Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump problem or not?

Mitsu booster

Pump problem or not?

I'm working on an 89 Shelby Daytona that has a Holley 255 pump. When I turn the ignition key to the on position I do not hear the pump turn on. My fuel pressure is at 26 Psi in the on position and moves to 33 Psi when attempting to turn over. It does not start.

Any suggestions on where I should start?

Matt

89 Shelby Daytona (2nd owner, purchased in 92)
    05 blacked out 300C SRT-8

turbo addict

Re: Pump problem or not?

If you have fuel pressure, your pump is turning on. You should get around 58psi of fuel pressure. You could jump the pump by supplying 12v to the + end of the coil. I'd do that and check the fuel pressure. It doesn't get to 52-58psi, I'd take out the pump.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

What he said, it won't start because you don't have enough fuel pressure. If you jump the pump and you get low pressure, try pinching the return line and see if the pressure jumps up. I bet you used the wrong intake hose and it rotted. IIRC, you need R10 spec intank hose.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    try pinching the return line and see if the pressure jumps up.
    hard too do that with stainless steel braided lines

I will give the suggestions a shot.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mckeonm View Post
    hard too do that with stainless steel braided lines

I will give the suggestions a shot.
    I bet there is a rubber line somewhere which could be pinched off.

Mitsu booster

Pump problem or not?

Ok, I've done the above and still not getting above 30 psi. I am going to pull the pump out and check the hose for deterioration.

Issue now is I have a full tank of gas. Anyone have suggestions on siphoning the gas out? I have a clear hose that is 5 feet long and I can get about a 3.5 foot into the tank, however the hose is dry when I pull it out. I cannot get more of the hose into the tank because it seems to hit a wall.

Any other ideas?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

If the pump is working enough to even push that low pressure, you can disconnect the hose from the feed line and run it into a gas can(s), then hot wire the pump to pump it all out. Been there, done that.

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    If the pump is working enough to even push that low pressure, you can disconnect the hose from the feed line and run it into a gas can(s), then hot wire the pump to pump it all out. Been there, done that.
    And be thankful that it'll still push some fuel. I've done it both ways and using the pump is the fun way.

Mitsu booster

Great idea supercrackerbox, worked like a champ, I was able to remove all but 2 gallons of gas.

I got the pump out and the first thing I notice was the pick up filter sock was not attached. I did find it in the back corner of the tank. Upon inspecting the hose I did not notice any visual signs of deterioration. The one thing I did notice was the hose was softer than a new fuel hose. The hose has the indication " FUEL 5/16" EFM-EFI 18519" on it. Is the issue that the hose is collapsing under suction when the pump is pumping?

The other issue I have that I've just dealt with for awhile is that when the car is running and I get below a 1/4 tank of gas the pump starts sucking air and I do not get a constant flow of fuel. This was confirmed when performing supercrackerbox's suggestion as I was using a clear section of hose. This is only an issue at WOT & below a 1/4 tank. I checked the follow assuming the issue maybe there.

1. Sock was in place and laying flat in tank
    2. Baffle is in place & secure

Thanks for any help,

Matt

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I doubt the hose is collapsing; it should only see pressure, not suction. But I'm not sure how it would start sucking air unless the hanger was rotated incorrectly lifting the pump off the tank floor. If you plan to reuse the same pump, check the pressure again. You can take your stainless hose off in the engine bay and just clamp rubber hose for the return line; it won't see any pressure past the regulator. Ignition off, hot wire the pump, as you did when emptying the tank. You should have ~55psi.

If not, double check the full length of the feed line for kinks, rock damage, etc. If you haven't replaced the filter for some time, now would be the time.

If you do have enough pressure, pinch off the return line with some pliers. Your pump should be able to max out your gauge, at least 100psi. If not, then double check everything as above, and replace the pump.

I'm honestly wondering if you didn't somehow get a TBI pump instead of the turbo/V6 pump, but I'm not sure what pressure those run.

I doubt the hose is collapsing; it should only see pressure, not suction. But I'm not sure how it would start sucking air unless the hanger was rotated incorrectly lifting the pump off the tank floor. If you plan to reuse the same pump, check the pressure again. You can take your stainless hose off in the engine bay and just clamp rubber hose for the return line; it won't see any pressure past the regulator. Ignition off, hot wire the pump, as you did when emptying the tank. You should have ~55psi.

If not, double check the full length of the feed line for kinks, rock damage, etc. If you haven't replaced the filter for some time, now would be the time.

If you do have enough pressure, pinch off the return line with some pliers. Your pump should be able to max out your gauge, at least 100psi. If not, then double check everything as above, and replace the pump.

I'm honestly wondering if you didn't somehow get a TBI pump instead of the turbo/V6 pump, but I'm not sure what pressure those run.
    In my experience the TBI pumps won't be able to make more than 80-85PSI when the return line is pinched off.

Mitsu booster

Update,

Replaced filter and sock on fuel pump. Reinstalled and started right up, then died. 0 fuel pressure & pump does not run now when jumped. I guess I now have to replace pump. Any suggestions on a comparable pump as the Holley 255 pump that I might find locally?

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by c2xejk View Post
    Wanted to replace it today or tomorrow. Any suitable auto part store pump?

Quote Originally Posted by mckeonm View Post
    Wanted to replace it today or tomorrow. Any suitable auto part store pump?
    You could go with a turbo pump, but the only thing I know for sure that flows what a 255 does is a viper pump.

Mitsu booster

I got the Shelby running last night and drove it about 20 miles today. It would not start up right away, took a 10 seconds or so to start. Once it was running it had high idle (2500 rpm) for about 30-45 seconds than would settle down. It would also not hold an idle and would die of I did not interfere with a little throttle. Unfortunately it died once and then would not restart. Called AAA got the car home and two hours later it started up again.

Any ideas?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Check grounds. What computer? Hep? Check fuel pressure again. What intank hose did you use?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

The issue you may be running into with the loss of fuel pressure or running at 1/4 tank could be that the bottom of the tank is pushed up, causing a high spot in the inside where the sock sits. Easiest way to fix it, take a broom handle or the like, stick it inside the tank and use it to pry or push the bottom back out. It happened to my Shelby Charger when I pulled the tank one time and when installing, I was pushing it up from the middle. Never had the problem after I used the broom handle to pry it back in place.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Step 2.
    Put your junk in the box.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast