Thread: Sofia...1987 LeBaron turbo convertible

Garrett booster

Sofia...1987 LeBaron turbo convertible

1987 LeBaron turbo convertible, Premium edition.
    56k original miles....yes, 56K ORIGINAL MILES! 2 owners, total service history records and paperwork. Garaged kept all her life, taken to the weekly Thursday night car show in The Villages here in Florida. Listed for $4900 I got them down to $2600.

check out her interior:

Nice huh?

List of things she needs:

small leak in CV joint
    Rear passenger window stuck in up position
    Exhaust system rusting, nothing catastrophic, just your typical 27 year old original exhaust system
    Turboharger runs intermittently, resulting in occasional "powerloss" message. Result of being 27 years old.
    Panel vents for AC/Heat do NOT function. Floor vents and dash vents hitting windshield work, just not the panel vents, Possible vacuum issue or something.
    she needs Xeon HID headlights. Not for swag, I just need them to see properly at night. I don't want to run over any nuns or orphans.

UPDATE 7/10.2014

stock radio replaced with Pioneer DEH-X6600BT unit
    wipers replacedI know its not that extensive of a project compared to most people here, but for me its perfect. I plan on keeping her till I croak. I will update with more pictures as I take them. Thank you for reading.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Sofia...1987 LeBaron turbo convertible

Quote Originally Posted by TheSteve View Post

1987 LeBaron turbo convertible, Premium edition.
    56k original miles....yes, 56K ORIGINAL MILES! 2 owners, total service history records and paperwork. Garaged kept all her life, taken to the weekly Thursday night car show in The Villages here in Florida. Listed for $4900 I got them down to $2600.

check out her interior:

Nice huh?

List of things she needs:

small leak in CV joint
    Rear passenger window stuck in up position
    Exhaust system rusting, nothing catastrophic, just your typical 27 year old original exhaust system
    Turboharger runs intermittently, resulting in occasional "powerloss" message. Result of being 27 years old.
    Panel vents for AC/Heat do NOT function. Floor vents and dash vents hitting windshield work, just not the panel vents, Possible vacuum issue or something.
    she needs Xeon HID headlights. Not for swag, I just need them to see properly at night. I don't want to run over any nuns or orphans.

UPDATE 7/10.2014

stock radio replaced with Pioneer DEH-X6600BT unit
    wipers replacedI know its not that extensive of a project compared to most people here, but for me its perfect. I plan on keeping her till I croak. I will update with more pictures as I take them. Thank you for reading.
    Wow, that thing is really nice. Does the 12 button traveler still work?

What do you mean the turbo runs intermittently?

I would definitely suspect a vacuum problem if you're only getting defrost. There is a vac line under the hood which goes to the HVAC system in the car. You'll only get defrost without it. On some of the older cars there was a vent at the bottom that put out something regardless of position I think so that could easily be it.

As far as headlights, check out some relays first. IMO it's a cheap enough upgrade without the hassle which most HID retrofit kits come with.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Nice find. Does the old radio still work? I am looking for one like that.

Garrett booster

The 12 button traveler works flawlessly.

The turbo doesn't feel like it kicks in every time. Maybe its just me. The issue with the headlights had more to do with my night vision than anything else.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by CoolV300C View Post
    Nice find. Does the old radio still work? I am looking for one like that.
    I sent you a PM

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheSteve View Post
    The 12 button traveler works flawlessly.

The turbo doesn't feel like it kicks in every time. Maybe its just me. The issue with the headlights had more to do with my night vision than anything else.
    Have you pulled the codes yet? I wonder if you're overboosting sometimes. That could explain the power loss light and also why it doesn't always feel like the turbo is doing its thing. Frankly, the 7PSI that thing should give you stock isn't all that noticeable to begin with.