Thread: Dead A413

Dead A413

Was pulling out of work yesterday and the car felt like it was in 3rd gear. Stepped on the gas and it wouldn't really accelerate. Then it started crunching so I pulled off the side of the road and tried fwd and reverse and have no movement but there seems to be a load on the motor. Went to put it one the trailer today and it wouldn't roll in neutral. I had to go back and forth between forward and reverse and it finally loosened up. Any ideas? I'm thinking possibly spider gears diff pin? The trans has good fluid and normal vb mods. Lmk what you think. Wil probably be a week or two before I dig into it.

turbo addict

Re: Dead A413

My magic ball says diff pin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Is the kick down cable free to move about as it should?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

diff pin or planetary's

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Bet you shagged the rear planetary.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

I'm with Simon on this one

Diff looks good looking in the axle hole, transfer gear nuts are tight. I can move the car forward in neutral but not in reverse. guessing something internal. Hopefully I'll get it pulled today or later this week and drop in a spare.

So I pulled my 2 spare 413's out of the shed and brought them into the garage. Is there any way to check the condition of the trans before selecting which one I put into the car? 1 is a spare that came with my 88 shadow when I bought it. I had the trans that was in it rebuilt at the time so I never used this spare. Looks like it came from a JY. has paint marker on it and a torque converter still attached. the passengers side axle housing has a brass bushing for the axle to ride on where the trans that came out of the spirit(was from a daytona) has a solid aluminum surface. The other spare is from what I remember from a 89 Lebaron 2.5 turbo. Was a running/driving car from what I was told when I bought it(Package deal when I bought the block for the hybrid motor in my 91 Daytona). LMK your thoughts.

- - - Updated - - -

So I pulled my 2 spare 413's out of the shed and brought them into the garage. Is there any way to check the condition of the trans before selecting which one I put into the car? 1 is a spare that came with my 88 shadow when I bought it. I had the trans that was in it rebuilt at the time so I never used this spare. Looks like it came from a JY. has paint marker on it and a torque converter still attached. the passengers side axle housing has a brass bushing for the axle to ride on where the trans that came out of the spirit(was from a daytona) has a solid aluminum surface. The other spare is from what I remember from a 89 Lebaron 2.5 turbo. Was a running/driving car from what I was told when I bought it(Package deal when I bought the block for the hybrid motor in my 91 Daytona). LMK your thoughts.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bfarroo View Post
    Is there any way to check the condition of the trans before selecting which one I put into the car?
    Take them apart and inspect. It'll only cost you a new front pump gasket and o-ring. That's about it. Other than obvious broken parts, the main wear items (at least what I've seen) is the clutch packs. One in particular (I believe the direct clutch) is the one that wears out first and/or fastest.