Thread: Timing Weirdness

Hybrid booster

Timing Weirdness

Okay, here we go...

Replaced the head on my 89 Turbo van.

Since I pulled the dist when I reset the timing belt, I decided it would be a good thing to reset the static engine timing.

Nay, nay, nay!

Every time I pulled the temp-sensor-plug, the engine would begin to run pig rich, fall on it's face and die.
    If I tried to use the throttle to keep it running it was impossible to make it run smoothly. It didn't allow me to just increase the idle a small amount...it was either screaming or dying.

It was running so rich it was blowing smoke...and when I walked around back afterwards there was actually a carbon track on the ground under the exhaust tip.

IMPORTANT

I static timed this very same van 8 months ago when I put the new timing belt and tensioner on with no problem.
    Pulled the plug, it jumped into high idle with the fan on, and I timed it without problem.

It is the same "type" head as the old one (swirl), and I used the same intake, injectors, air cleaner, ect...

I looked everything over 10 times, checked all the vacuum lines 5-6 times, checked all clamps. The bolt to the ground strap is in the back of the manifold, the ground strap is attached to the firewall, and the ground wire is attached to the fuel rail...I see nothing amiss.

That said, it runs fine with the temp sensor plugged-in...and at idle, the computer-aided timing reads between 6-8 degrees in the window.

Any idea's?

Thanks,
    CG

turbo addict

Re: Timing Weirdness

Advance the ignition timing a bit. At idle with the coolant sensor plugged in they will normally give much more advance than 6-8*.

Also double check the cam timing. With the cam retarded a tooth or two will make it idle like poo while trying to set timing.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    Advance the ignition timing a bit. At idle with the coolant sensor plugged in they will normally give much more advance than 6-8*.

Also double check the cam timing. With the cam retarded a tooth or two will make it idle like poo while trying to set timing.

+1. Base timing on these engines is normally 12*, then the computer bumps it to about 20* at idle. Advance it about 4-6 degrees and see if that helps.

turbo addict

Running bigger injectors without Cal? Increased fuel pressure? Either of these will be masked/compensated for by the o2 sensor but when in open loop it will dump fuel.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

Does the timing mark jump all over the place? If so, check the timing wheel in the distributor. If it's loose setting timing isn't easy and can cause running issues.