Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chasing Classic Cars

Hybrid booster

Chasing Classic Cars

They had a 89 CSX barn find car on there. Guys son was trying to rebuild it and died before he completed it. Had a turbo Shadow parts car as well. Wayne, the main guy on show, pretty much told him that the CSX isn't a desirable car and wasn't worth anything and the Shadow parts car was better off as a boat anchor.

Garrett booster

Re: Chasing Classic Cars

I saw some other episode that also had a turbo dodge in it like a new yorker or something and IIRC they just said it will clean up as a driver for someone but that was it. Nicer than calling it a boat anchor.

Hybrid booster

people said the same thing about cars that are now classics at one point, ignore him.

Garrett booster

Yeap, most cars go through it.

Garrett booster

Old TD's not getting the respect they deserve. Nothing new but still makes me a little sad.

As most people in this hobby know it's really tough finding a good example of your turbo love.

I lucked out with my Red 86 Omni GLH Turbo. The previous owner obviously loved the car and it shows. Had to bring it in from the Coast (BC to AB, I'm in Canada eh).

Haven't seen many in such great shape around. Like the saying goes, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay but every time I turn around lately there's another story about Turbo Dodges. Just saying

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

This had been discussed in at least one other previous thread.

Look at the value of a rough condition Shelby Dodge through the eyes of Wayne Carini. What's the real world value of the car? Maybe a grand? What would it take to bring it to 90%.... $10-15 grand if you are pretty resourceful, for a car that will be worth maybe $9 grand?
    For a guy like that. any time put into a $10,000 car is time taken away from a $100,000 or $1,000,000 car.
    It would be a loss for him to get involved, no matter what.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    This had been discussed in at least one other previous thread.

Look at the value of a rough condition Shelby Dodge through the eyes of Wayne Carini. What's the real world value of the car? Maybe a grand? What would it take to bring it to 90%.... $10-15 grand if you are pretty resourceful, for a car that will be worth maybe $9 grand?
    For a guy like that. any time put into a $10,000 car is time taken away from a $100,000 or $1,000,000 car.
    It would be a loss for him to get involved, no matter what.
    The problem I had with it was he said it's not desirable to anyone. Which just isn't true. I understand he really only cares about the high dollar classics he can flip for a lot of money, but he really needs to have all the info when people ask him about things. That car is desirable, even if it is only to a small market.

Quote Originally Posted by HSKR View Post
    The problem I had with it was he said it's not desirable to anyone. Which just isn't true. I understand he really only cares about the high dollar classics he can flip for a lot of money, but he really needs to have all the info when people ask him about things. That car is desirable, even if it is only to a small market.
    Well by that definition, anything could be considered desirable. There's a small market of people that like used underwear.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Well by that definition, anything could be considered desirable. There's a small market of people that like used underwear.
    I got your paypal and will ship them tonight.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Hold off. I'll see you at Carlisle
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Hold off. I'll see you at Carlisle
    Perfect, can get you "fresh" ones there.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Hybrid booster

You know what I mean. Most of the cars Wayne deals with are niche market limited number of people who can afford, let alone would buy. Granted turbo Mopars aren't high dollar collectibles(yet), but that doesn't mean they aren't desirable.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re-run, I quit watching that show, precisely because of remarks like that; the guy's prejudiced, a car bigot.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Hybrid booster

All things being as we feel about our Shelby's, a fwd "Shelby Dodge" is getting national exposure. I personally think we are over the hump and prices are increasing, and parts are harder to find.

Greg

Hybrid booster

I've said it many times before, it's the enthusiasts (us) who will drive the price of these cars up but I've seen more and more cars parted out from the so called enthusiasts, on this site even... And then the so called enthusiasts tell other folks who are looking to buy one "oh that dude is dreaming if he thinks he'll get anywhere close to the $8000.00 he's asking for that mint 87 s car"
    If the folks who consider these cars to be collectable continue to let them rot away, drive the price down and part them out, how can you expect the casual car enthusiast to think they're something special or collectable??
    Treat them with pride, save them and stop sending them to the scrap yard...

Better to part a few cars out to save a few more than to let them all go to crap.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Hybrid booster

My car is a scrap yard rescue.

Garrett booster

I'll give that a +1

Quote Originally Posted by Gaboon View Post
    I've said it many times before, it's the enthusiasts (us) who will drive the price of these cars up but I've seen more and more cars parted out from the so called enthusiasts, on this site even... And then the so called enthusiasts tell other folks who are looking to buy one "oh that dude is dreaming if he thinks he'll get anywhere close to the $8000.00 he's asking for that mint 87 s car"
    If the folks who consider these cars to be collectable continue to let them rot away, drive the price down and part them out, how can you expect the casual car enthusiast to think they're something special or collectable??
    Treat them with pride, save them and stop sending them to the scrap yard...

Mitsu booster

I agree.
    It is desirable to quite a number of people.
    Just not him, or the clientele he serves.
    But dismissing the car as a boat anchor just shows a condescending character with an ignorant, narrow mind.
    I'm sure Mr. Shelby would have had some words to say about Wayne, if he were alive.

turbo addict

When I first saw that episode (which at that point was already a re-run) I sent him an email basically saying he should not state facts on a TV show that aren't correct even though the car isn't of much interest to him.

To be fair he called the white parts cars the boat anchor, not the CSX-VNT. He kinda knew what it was, but only small details.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast