Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Might Be It for TIII Power in The Rampage RT

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Might Be It for TIII Power in The Rampage RT

Went to Lowes to grab a few pieces of Sod for where I had a tree removed in the front yard, it was brown and crispy-no thanks. So decided not to make a nice drive in the Rampage RT less than a total loss so I took the canyon route home. a couple nice blasts in a safe area it's running great tho still puffing a little smoke on decel(and after a hot restart) Just crusing along in 3rd gear at 50 in what I *thought* was a 45 zone. Nope, CHP lit me up and pulled me over informing me that its a special enforcement zone set at 35 I have nothing against Law Enforcement, I just don't like D!CK cops and he was a top shelf one. Made me pop the hood because he saw the wideband AF gauge and hood pins. As I was opening I was explaining that I've owned it 20 years and spent at least 10 of those doing a by-the-book motor swap and had visited 3 different BAR referee stations in the process. He was unimpressed and noticed the FWD adjustable cam gears right away(heck I bought them in black so they'd be Low Pro) Informed me in his best a$$hole voice that they are not emissions compliant. I explained that the head had been milled and crack repaired and they are they only way to bring the timing back to stock specs. He was unimpressed, wrote me for no front plate and incorrect license address just to pile on some more insult. Anyway, it means the BAR state referee has to revalidate the conversion and since the AFPR, divorced WG downpipe, hybrid turbo, oversize IC and about 10 other things aren't gonna fly with the state inspectors that need to fail just such conversions to keep their jobs, looks like the TIII will have to come outta there. Not going back to carbureted tho, I have an all stock appearing Masi 16V set up that should get thru the process. The great state of KommieFornia for ya...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140706_151441.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	513.0 KB 
ID:	50849  

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Re: Might Be It for TIII Power in The Rampage RT

That is ridiculous...

Reason #13,934,943 not to live in CA as a resident. Alan when I move in, I will be retaining my permanent address here in TN for just such reasons of stupidity with enforcement.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Reason #13,934,943 not to live in CA as a resident
    Well put.

Hard to believe actually doing a motor swap to please the government, regardless of whether they 'require' it. Can you register it in another state? You can put it in my name if you want, and i wont even try to take off in it.

My county doesnt even have emissions testing. OR inspections of any kind if you choose to register it as an antique.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Register it here in Wisconsin as a collector vehicle. No emissions or renewal. It's a lifetime plate.
    Use my address.
    Better yet, I can rent you a condo and you can leave the Rampage in it's garage.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    Register it here in Wisconsin as a collector vehicle. No emissions or renewal. It's a lifetime plate.
    Use my address.
    Better yet, I can rent you a condo and you can leave the Rampage in it's garage.
    Yes,even better yet a WI Hobbyist plate. "sell" it to me and I will register it as that and you can not be touched as it says right on the title "vehicle is street modified" Then if anyone asks I had it shipped out to you to have you build it and tune it for me. If you get stopped just say its a long process to tune it and you have to drive it alot lol

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

All good ideas and great offers guys Problem is if I get pulled over on a CA license and an outta state vehicle (you only have 5 days in CA to register a vehicle upon 'entering' the state) it raises a red flag as to where you live and why your car doesn't 'live with you' Active duty military and full time students are about the only exemptions I know of for these rules and neither of which I can provide proof of CA is just so tuner unfriendly, unless you have pre 1973 cars or less than 6 years old and don't need a smog certificate, you're F'd

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor j4278h's Avatar

time to find an inspector that is willing to take donations for his kids little league uniforms.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Man I'm really sorry to hear that Alan. I know that you've had that for a long time and did a lot of sweet custom work initially to make it happen in the first place.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

What a load of crap, sorry man, that really blows.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

What an -------. He obviously knows a little about cars, why is he trying to target enthusiasts???

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Reason #13,934,943 not to live in CA as a resident. Alan when I move in, I will be retaining my permanent address here in TN for just such reasons of stupidity with enforcement.

+1. I may not like Indiana winters, but at least I can modify my truck to my hearts content without worrying about the emissions Nazis..

Sorry about your situation Alan. I was really hoping to see that beast in person one day...

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

This really gets me fired up.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

If you have family in another state just register it there and in their name.

There is no law in California saying you cant drive an out of state car that isn't yours is there?

F them you can figure this out...although the Masi sounds cool, I wouldn't risk it....they would likely ban that also.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    If you have family in another state just register it there and in their name.

There is no law in California saying you cant drive an out of state car that isn't yours is there?

F them you can figure this out...although the Masi sounds cool, I wouldn't risk it....they would likely ban that also.
    First they came for the TIII motor...

Garrett booster

I think 1975 is the cut off now for emissions testing in Cali. One of the reasons I don't really want to mess with any big conversions on my Daytona. Would rather keep it simple like use water injection that I can easily pull off instead of adding an intercooler etc.
    Even when I had a car with a 50 state legal supercharger kit I had trouble finding smog places that would inspect it.

turbo addict

California reminds of of Dave Chappelle's bit about Washington D.C. during the crack era. White people were looking at D.C. from Virginia with binoculars and saying "That looks dangerous, noooooot yet." So when I think about Califonia car laws....Nooooooot yet!
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

This is the number 1 reason I refuse to even look at a job in California. My wife doesn't understand this. At least in Washington if the car is 25 or older there are no more inspections.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    This is the number 1 reason I refuse to even look at a job in California. My wife doesn't understand this. At least in Washington if the car is 25 or older there are no more inspections.
    Well, there are no "looks" inspections or safety inspections at all. Just the sniffer and a pressure test which they may not do anymore. That and our cars will ALL be hitting the 25 year mark around the time CARB rolls into town and gets rid of our tailpipe sniffers. I don't see California giving the fun people out there a pass on their cars in the next 5 years. Your chassis is already legal right?
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Garrett booster

Isn't looking under the hood the same as a vehicle search, in which case you have to agree to it unless he thinks there is enough cause and makes you stand near his car while he goes thru yours?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast