Thread: 87' GLHS... What direction to go?

Mitsu booster

87' GLHS... What direction to go?

Hi fellow turbo-dodgers. I have been into these cars since the 80's, owning a 86 S/C since 1988 and #0235 since 2000. The S was in very clean condition when I got it in 2000 with about 46k miles. I put a little TL&C back into it, and it was actually featured in Hemmings Muscle Machines magazine in 2005. Unfortunately, it has been sitting ever since and now I want to "re-recondition" it and this time, take it to a 10 out of 10 car. Ok, maybe a 9. It is 99% in it's original state as when it left the Shelby plant. It now has a whopping 48k miles, so it will never see a ton of miles. But when I do take it out, I would like it to be reliable and not worry about the A-525 exploding or the lightweight rods bending.
    Driving it to it's new location quickly reminded me that even though she's been sitting in a garage all this time, this is still a 27 year old car. So the question is since I plan to go through every inch of this car, how much change would you do to a car in this state? I don't plan on going over 14 psi on a Stage II LM. Maybe add 2.5" swing valve and downpipe. Should I go with some TII rods and pistons and a A520/555 (using a rod shift kit) with moly plate and call it done? The block should be ok with quality bolts/studs. It would be nice if I could keep her internals as is, but not sure if I will end up making things worse if/when the lightweight rods and/or 525 fails?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: 87' GLHS... What direction to go?

Welcome to the site. Love to see some pics (or a link to the article).

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS_0235 View Post
    Hi fellow turbo-dodgers. I have been into these cars since the 80's, owning a 86 S/C since 1988 and #0235 since 2000. The S was in very clean condition when I got it in 2000 with about 46k miles. I put a little TL&C back into it, and it was actually featured in Hemmings Muscle Machines magazine in 2005. Unfortunately, it has been sitting ever since and now I want to "re-recondition" it and this time, take it to a 10 out of 10 car. Ok, maybe a 9. It is 99% in it's original state as when it left the Shelby plant. It now has a whopping 48k miles, so it will never see a ton of miles. But when I do take it out, I would like it to be reliable and not worry about the A-525 exploding or the lightweight rods bending.
    Driving it to it's new location quickly reminded me that even though she's been sitting in a garage all this time, this is still a 27 year old car. So the question is since I plan to go through every inch of this car, how much change would you do to a car in this state? I don't plan on going over 14 psi on a Stage II LM. Maybe add 2.5" swing valve and downpipe. Should I go with some TII rods and pistons and a A520/555 (using a rod shift kit) with moly plate and call it done? The block should be ok with quality bolts/studs. It would be nice if I could keep her internals as is, but not sure if I will end up making things worse if/when the lightweight rods and/or 525 fails?

Glad to see you back, Mike!!!
    I think you are on the right track. Keep it as stock appearing as possible.
    The better rods and pistons with arp will be good. Maybe upgrade the turbo with a larger wheel, and do the 2.5 " exhaust. If you are only looking at 14/15 psi of boost, you could probably just keep the a525 and add the plate.
    If interested, I have an a525 with shelby lsd and heim joint linkage, and I also have a couple of rebuilt a568's and a555's as well.

Post of some pictures of the glhs, people here would love to see it!!
    BTW your old sc is still doing great. Gets driven only during the summer, and it still looks as good as when you had it!
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

I have two GLH turbos with thin rods and 525 transmissions.
    No bent rods or transmission explosions. Both cars see race and 'spirited' street duty.
    One has an LRE differential girdle and moly plate, the other has nothing.
    Both cars have engines with near 100,000 miles.

I also had GLHS 0148. It had a few mods, but still had thin rods and an unmodified 525. No issues there either. I took it easy with the hole shots, but that car really loved the upper RPMs.

If you are going to try to make a ton of power and spin the engine above 5000 RPM all the time then look into the heavy duty parts.
    If you plan to keep things near stock, then it should be fine the way it was built.

Just make sure you upgrade the shift linkage.

turbo addict

Well Andy keep that horseshoe in your back pocket. My Spearco intercooled log manifold GLHT's a525 is on tranny #5. Vehicle has 47K miles on it. They all have had all the good parts put in them (less claw and pawl LSD) and never had a slick bolted to the car. IMO, under 250 HP might consider rolling the dice, beyond 250 WHP my experience is they won't last long with spirited driving.
    Todd

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Well Andy keep that horseshoe in your back pocket. My Spearco intercooled log manifold GLHT's a525 is on tranny #5. Vehicle has 47K miles on it. They all have had all the good parts put in them (less claw and pawl LSD) and never had a slick bolted to the car. IMO, under 250 HP might consider rolling the dice, beyond 250 WHP my experience is they won't last long with spirited driving.
    Todd
    I agree. Although I think 14PSI off of a stock turbo will be well below that limit. I know that JT's light weight rod Shadow has a glove box full of 12.xx time slips on it and the other JT has a ton of severe duty time on the world's toughest 525 in his GLHS. I wouldn't upgrade anything on such an original car with so low of a HP target.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

If that horse shoe would only work on the lottery...

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I don't think anybody has bent or broken a lightweight rod in a mild engine.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Mitsu booster

Thanks for the welcome! CoolV300C - I will find some of the shots the editors took. She still looks the same. Although not shown in the pics, there are a few imperfections I want to see if I can correct in the paint. HI CINDY! Long time I know. Congrats on the new shop - I've been trying to catch up on what's been going on in the TD world. Glad to see you are still supporting the community! And I have been wondering how my ol' girl has been doing and if you still had her! Thanks. I think I will have a decent sized shopping list over to you shortly to review and advise... I would love to try a 568, but don't want to go to a cable shifter. Leaning towards he 555 anyway for insurance. Can't wait to come visit with you and James soon! Andy, I hope I am as lucky as you if I stay stock! Or if you can mail that horseshoe over to me I would appreciate it. I hear stories like yours, then hear the other side of the coin like from 4 l-bodies. Looks like the overall vote is I should be ok. Thanks all for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I agree. Although I think 14PSI off of a stock turbo will be well below that limit. I know that JT's light weight rod Shadow has a glove box full of 12.xx time slips on it and the other JT has a ton of severe duty time on the world's toughest 525 in his GLHS. I wouldn't upgrade anything on such an original car with so low of a HP target.
    Still going strong. Looks like I'll be testing it to the limits again this weekend at Carlisle at the auto cross. Probably need to check and see if I need to register first though. Seriously, I don't think I'm putting any real power to the ground, well too much over stock. It does have the Shelby LSD in it, which may make it worse. I do know I've run a 14.05 at a mid 90 mph with slicks launching at 6K RPM, but that was before the LSD was installed. Has held up so far, but the 555 is going in by the end of this year for sure.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Good luck out there Jon!

turbo addict

I started bustin em up quickly when trap speeds went above 106 MPH. Lost a diff pin once on big end of track. That was ugly!!! Fortunate that both the car and I lived to see another tranny install (lol). Picture someone throwing a 2x4 through a bicycle tire. My 100 to zero time had to be impressive!!! A LOT of collateral damage. After that happened, makes one think long and hard about putting in another 2 pinion diff.
    Todd

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    I started bustin em up quickly when trap speeds went above 106 MPH. Lost a diff pin once on big end of track. That was ugly!!! Fortunate that both the car and I lived to see another tranny install (lol). Picture someone throwing a 2x4 through a bicycle tire. My 100 to zero time had to be impressive!!! A LOT of collateral damage. After that happened, makes one think long and hard about putting in another 2 pinion diff.
    Todd
    With that said, sounds like the A525 will go on a shelf and replaced with a 555. I take it the 568 or 523 still cannot be rod operated?

Mitsu booster

Found a few shots of the S...

Wow. That thing is NICE.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Wow. Very nice!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

My favorite kind of 'project car' one that doesn't need anything Nice clean S car

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL