Thread: a 555 quaife lbody

a 555 quaife lbody

Hi guys

Im trying to find a proper link to what to do to my axles (cutting grinding) to work in my a555 with a quaife?

im using 89 Omni automatic axles long and short one.

any info would be greatly appreciated

when turning right im hopping like a 4x4 pick up on pavement

turbo addict

Re: a 555 quaife lbody

The passenger side axle needs to be cut down in length about 1/4" Just cut it down at the splines that go into the transmission. When you're done the piece you end up with will be remarkably similar in size and shape to a beer bottle cap. that allows the shaft to fit properly into the transmission and give a good seal around the shaft.

The hopping like a 4x4 seems to be a different issue IMHO than cutting down the axle. Perhaps you have a cv joint that's locking up when turned too far? I've had a torn boot allow water inside which froze solid a few years back and it bucked, jumped and was a pain to drive home, let alone the amplified bucking & popping and effort needed to get the car to turn.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Thanks

turbo addict

forgive the jumping in

this is the first post / thread I've seen regarding haveing the 555/568 quafie diff

is it normal to need to shorten the passenger side axle - does this apply to all models , K G L etc
    and , it there a difference in the diff that requires this mod - like a larger diameter pin or something

- why cut only one side ?

am I missing anything - else -that is needed knowlage for this diff to swap into my 555?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    forgive the jumping in

this is the first post / thread I've seen regarding haveing the 555/568 quafie diff

is it normal to need to shorten the passenger side axle - does this apply to all models , K G L etc
    and , it there a difference in the diff that requires this mod - like a larger diameter pin or something

- why cut only one side ?

am I missing anything - else -that is needed knowlage for this diff to swap into my 555?

I'm with him. I haven't ever heard of having to get the shaft cut down. Assuming this is true for the intermediate shaft if running equal length or is this just for the unequal length setup?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

I had heard from others that they needed to cut down thier passenger side shaft a little bit when using a Quaiffe. When I installed mine I made sure to check the axle to make sure it seated all the way in the trans and sure enough it was not seated fully; about 5/16" distance from the seal to the witness mark on the axle. After shaving it down a little bit it seated fully in the trans.

The issue isn't with the splines, rather the center of the differential isn't as narrow as the factory piece and doesn't allow the axle to go in all the way to ensure a solid seal.

I'm not sure about it when using the intermediate/jack shaft but just to be sure, I cut down the axle on my intermediate shaft as well. I run unequal length shafts in my R/T, the two piece axle is my backup set for track visits; so the last thing I wanted to find out an hour from home is that my backup axle won't work.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    I had heard from others that they needed to cut down thier passenger side shaft a little bit when using a Quaiffe. When I installed mine I made sure to check the axle to make sure it seated all the way in the trans and sure enough it was not seated fully; about 5/16" distance from the seal to the witness mark on the axle. After shaving it down a little bit it seated fully in the trans.

The issue isn't with the splines, rather the center of the differential isn't as narrow as the factory piece and doesn't allow the axle to go in all the way to ensure a solid seal.

I'm not sure about it when using the intermediate/jack shaft but just to be sure, I cut down the axle on my intermediate shaft as well. I run unequal length shafts in my R/T, the two piece axle is my backup set for track visits; so the last thing I wanted to find out an hour from home is that my backup axle won't work.
    Sweet! Thanks for the info Ray. I've been sporting the 525 for so long, I don't know much about the new fandangled trans OTHER than the 525.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

thanks for the info guys and for the shaking im getting I think I got the wrong short axle. driver side.

Hybrid booster

Hello all.

The driver side shaft connects directly from the differential to the wheel hub and requires modification, if the original shaft is being utilized.
    The passenger side can be addressed by using a combination of Daytona and L-Body equal length half shaft components.

Driver side:

Lets start with a word of caution, make sure the work is being done by someone that is familiar with the process.
    Simply cutting the shaft and welding on a collar can produce somewhat disastrous results.
    The collar size, shaft pinning, collar angles (tapers), and kiln/rose-budding the shaft to avoid localized heat stress are all critical steps to a successful welded shaft.
    With this said, the key item of concern when doing this process is "plunge depth".
    This is the amount of suspension travel relative to the shafts ability to cover that distance, by traveling in the inner CV yoke.
    Therefore, consider whether your vehicle has been lowered OR whether your engine has been lowered to alter CG !!!!

Passenger side:
    This can be accomplished by using diff-shaft/yoke and yoke axle parts from a 555/568 vehicle and the outer L-Body half shaft components to accomplish the task, as mentioned above.
    Its been years, but there's a solid performance U-joint (RWD part for a small diff RWD vehicle) that can also be installed in the equal length assembly for increased capacity.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by 5DIGITS; 07-06-2014 at 12:29 PM.

turbo addict

Here is a pic on what I had to cut off the splines of the two shafts I have for the passenger side; the one I run every day and the backup for the track. Yes, the Shiner Black was tasty.

thanks guys

also I had no measurement when ordered my driver side axle and of course I got the wrong one. burrowed one off a friend all solved . To whomever said torque steer is not really an issue HAHAA. damn thing is soo violent

turbo addict

I have to ask as I may be soon buying another L body here myself , what axle did you use to solve your issue

its automatic l body ones off an 89

turbo addict

gotcha - thanks
    I thought that was the way to go but the post above about welding axles started to confuse me