Thread: Electrical - Can I use a 220AC rated temp switch at 12 Volt DC?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Electrical - Can I use a 220AC rated temp switch at 12 Volt DC?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KSD301-Tempe...item2a09955a3a

Can I use this type of 220 volt AC bi-metal temperature switch, to switch 12 volts DC?

For my air/water intercooler project I want to switch the coolant fan on at about 100F or thereabouts.

And, of course, all the standard automotive fan switch thermocouples remain open until about 180F at the lowest.

From the ebay ad -

Spec:
    - Bimetal disc thermostat, it can screw on to any metal surface
    - Type: N.O. (Normal Open)
    - It is open until the surface reaches 45 Celsius degree and then the switch closes. automatically reset
    - When the surface cools off about 5 degrees, the switch automatic opens
    - Voltage: 110V AC TO 250V AC
    - Circuit resistance: 50 Mohm
    - Insulation resistance: 100 Mohm
    - Withstand voltage: 1500V AC/minute
    - Opening-closing durability: 10000 times or more (under rated load)
    - General-purpose low cost, compact, large capacity, minute current thermostat
    - Application: For Household electric appliances, PC, Microwave ovens, Irons, Refrigerators, Electronic oven, heating unit, coffeepot, water heater, etc.

John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

Re: Electrical - Can I use a 220AC rated temp switch at 12 Volt DC?

I would think you could. Is it just a contact that closes?

Yes, as I understand it, it consists of a bi-metallic disc that responds to heat by warping and that warping pushes contacts into (or out of) connection.

Here is a different type.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-Bimeta...item53f998102b

Tell me if I am right or wrong, NO or Normally Open, means that the switch is off until the heat rises and the contacts close, right?

Edt - this link answers my question about NO and has a good explanation of how they work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-Thermosta...item5d328b8be2
    Last edited by johnl; 07-02-2014 at 05:36 PM.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."

boostaholic

How many amps you try to get through it might matter, I can't imagine you could run too little volts through something like that.
    MinivanRider

I'll use it to signal a relay and let the relay handle the amps; maybe two small motorcycle radiator fans at 3 to 5 amps each; got three of em at U Pick Parts for $10 each; they measure about 6" across.

Now, I'm wondering where to mount the thermostat/temp sensor - on the end tank of the radiator/exchanger or on the end tank of the intercooler?
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

I found this

http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/167...11#moreDetails

Apparently the relay is in the box with the pot.

I'd rather have it simpler, just a sending unit and a relay and I don't like the sensor into the hose barb/hose joint idea.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand