Thread: 92 2.5L turbo intercooler install

Hybrid booster

92 2.5L turbo intercooler install

I'm sure most here are beyond this, but I tried doing a search and couldn't find any info. I have a complete radiatoor/intercooler set up from an '87 Daytona I am looking to install in my '92 non-intercooled car. How close of a direct bolt in is it? From my reading I have seen that the '91+ intercooler set up is different than the older ones. I don't have the radiator in front of me right now, but just looking at the intercooler, I'm going to have to fab some sort of a bracket for the upper mount on intercooler.

turbo addict

Re: 92 2.5L turbo intercooler install

You're going to have to fab brackets for the whole thing. The 92 daytonas used side mounts all around, I might not even fit as I think the earlier daytona were taller as well. But guess it might be worth a try. What you really need is a 90+ VNT or T3 rad/ic setup. That is a drop in.

Hybrid booster

Yeah, I'll bet those VNT set ups are pretty hard to source.

Hybrid booster

I found a T3 rad/ic setup on the forums for under $200 that dropped into my 91 Lebaron like OEM. I wouldn't mess with something that is going to be a massive headache, you're better off selling that 87 stuff to finance stuff you can use.

FWIW in the end when that 22 year old radiator cracked I ended up going back to a new T1 radiator with a nice FMIC like Jay (GLHNSLHT2) told me all along to do.
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

Hybrid booster

The radiator/intercooler and tubing came with the car. If I wasn't spending $90 to get radiator opened up and cleaned out I probably would. But kind of committed now. I'm not one to shy away from making something work somewhere that it isn't necessarily designed for. In fact, I actually like the challenge sometimes.

turbo addict

to put the older rad in I think your going to need to make 4 L shaped brackets

you might be able to find some wide-ish aluminum flat strip stock at home depot
    - I have a piece here I got from H-D for a different project , it's longer than needed at about 3 1/2 - 4 feet and a bit more than an inch wide - maybe 1/4 thick

you'll need two L brackets that can bolt to the lower rad crossmember so that the pegs on the bottom of your rad , and the rubber bumper that isolate the rad from the car can locate at the bottom

on the newer cars the raised edge at the back edge of the top rad crossmember is missing - this would be the section that had the bolt holes for the top rad brackets

you'll need to make two more L shaped brackets to go there which will bend up above the back edge to allow the positioning of the top early style brackets
    - a couple of bolts run down through the top rad cradle crossmember will allow you to do that

your old style rad will likely look like it's to tall due to the missing section of sheetmetal that was on the early cars

I have no idea if anything is going to interfere with the hood once you get that done

edit
    makeing the lower brackets out of steel micht be a better idea than alum - as it would support the weight better
    Last edited by Dr. Johny Dodge; 06-28-2014 at 03:01 PM.